• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Licenses Cardcaptor Sakura TV Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RightStufSpecialsMinion
Company Representative

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:50 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
EDIT: Rightstuf said it's going to be a new dub on their facebook page so... be excited for that!

Sorry this caused some confusion. On our facebook page, we were asked if the dub included would be "the old english dub or a new english dub." When Shawne replied that it would be a new dub, he simply meant that it would not be the dub made by Nelvana for Cardcaptors. We have had no word about a new dub being created specifically for this release.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote
RightStufSpecialsMinion wrote:
KENZICHI wrote:
EDIT: Rightstuf said it's going to be a new dub on their facebook page so... be excited for that!

Sorry this caused some confusion. On our facebook page, we were asked if the dub included would be "the old english dub or a new english dub." When Shawne replied that it would be a new dub, he simply meant that it would not be the dub made by Nelvana for Cardcaptors. We have had no word about a new dub being created specifically for this release.

in other worse it may be call a psuedo old english dub version considering its an old animax dub. regardless, both animax and nelvana are as just as bad. hopefully the quote made on the facebook page might turn out to be true and NIS might just just actually decide on doing a new english dub version instead of using the animax dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
LightOtaku wrote:
Ortensia1980 wrote:
Apparently some NISA blu-rays can be played on a UK/European PS3, just not on a region B blu-ray player. Some people on an UK anime forum tested it and they seem to work just fine on a PS3.

But it's not the case with all NISA titles is it?
I guess all hope is not yet lost then but i'll wait until someone confirms this as I don't wanna risk importing. Although I doubt there will be any left by the time it releases...

Sadly not. For example, Arakawa under the Bridge doesn't work on a PS3, but Bridge x Bridge does. The list is posted here

Someone will end up confirming it when it comes out. Lets just hope that it's still available by then.

Sylontack wrote:
That's super weird but I'll go with it (I'm confident a Region B Australian PS3 would equate to an EU PS3 as Australia's gaming market is literally the EU gaming market) Razz

Probably. Someone in Australia must have tested it as well.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

in other worse it may be call a psuedo old english dub version considering its an old animax dub. regardless, both animax and nelvana are as just as bad. hopefully the quote made on the facebook page might turn out to be true and NIS might just just actually decide on doing a new english dub version instead of using the animax dub.

You don't actually read anything anyone else is writing, do you? Justin Sevakis, who is working on the BDs, has said it's the Animax version. NISA is not making a dub from scratch, deal with it. And too expensive? Seems your math skills are are just as good as your reading comprehension. A new Funimation title, like say Haganai NEXT, which is 12 episodes retails for $69.98. That's $5.83 per episode. A Sentai sub only BD release like Chuunibyou retails for $49.98 for 13 episodes. That's $3.84 per episode for a barebones release. This set with a much better artbox and book plus subs and dubs retails for $249.99 for 70 episodes. That's $3.57 per episode, even cheaper than a barebones Sentai release. And that's just going off the MSRP. TRSI is selling it far cheaper than that. So enough with your idiotic claims that this is overpriced.
Lann

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Lann wrote:
Please for the love of god tell me they are using the Animax dub. That would make my year!

EDIT- It seems some people do not know about the uncut English Animax dub. Its real. Its very very real. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPTf2eSHNGw

You must be kidding. I have already watched that version & sure its superior than the god awful nevlana version , but its definitely bad and definitely unwatchable.

its why people here is the US avoid all animax asia english dubs like a plague .

Sure, its good that its licensed and all, Unfortunately it will be released with very bad english version and like with all animax asia versions. and i wont be surprised it doesnt sell well at all cause of the crappy dub and the price of that release. its just not worth the headache.

The Animax dub uses the original score music. How can anyone justify the Nelvana version? Im not saying the Animax version is perfect but at least it retains the uncut soul of the show.

I highly doubt it would be possible but in an ideal world I would rather have the dub team from Bang Zoom that did the 2nd movie. But this isnt a question about professionalism, its about getting an already existing uncut dub out in the open for all to see, and filing the appalling 'Cardcaptors' version to the vaults to be forgotten about forever.

However when all is said and done, I would still choose the Japanese dub. It would just be nice to know my future children will get to watch it in uncut English, like we all should have seen it originally.
streexanime

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Guys, go order on Right Stuf as of this post it was $178.99 (woot free shipping!)
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Just like Sentai Filmworks , NIS America have a habit of releasing sub only series and release series that already have an english dub.

"They don't include dubs, they sky is falling down!"

jr0904 wrote:
BUT if their just gonna use the crappy ass nelvana dub which have a very bad rep of being just as bad if not worse than 4kids, then they've just royally screwed the US otaku fanbase big time.

"They're using the Nelvana dub, the sky is falling down!"

Quote:
Unfortunately that is even worse than the nelvana dub.

"They're not using the Nelvana dub, the sky is falling down!"

Quote:
it would have been better off for everyone involved ESPECIALLY THE FANS if they had Bang Zoom Ent considering how well they did the movies when it was licensed by Pioneer or another dub studio cause anything is better than a nelvana & animax version.

"News at 11: It is as cost effective to produce a dub for a 70 episode TV series as it is for a short movie!"

Quote:
BUT if their just gonna use the crappy ass nelvana dub which have a very bad rep of being just as bad if not worse than 4kids, then they've just royally screwed the US otaku fanbase big time.

"News at 11: 'Otaku' now care about dubs!"

You're determined to be in a bad mood about this, aren't you?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
publicenemy:
Quote:
Im curious to check that out, but thats one pricey bluray.

It's probably worse in Japan. If it makes you feel better, though, it's cheaper than buying all the Geneon singles on DVD.

Japan costs around $600-700 used for the initial pressing. The newer pressing you can get for under $600. Maybe closer to $500? Not quite sure never really look them up.

I don't know how much those old Pioneer discs were going for up until yesterday but I bought my set for $300 in '09 and sold it for $700 in '12. Glad I did back then.
SDAnimeFan

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
So happy to see this coming out on Blu Ray now. Smile

Just placed a pre-order of this from RACS.
ShindoW

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Can we please get an uncut Digimon DVD release now? Please?

If you have an intermediate knowledge of Japanese, you can easily watch the raws. Very Happy Get your ass to CDJapan, now!

Actually, its dubbed for free on Netflix.. :3 English dub and subtitled for the first 2 seasons.

But back on topic with this CCS release... I didn't get to watch the show as a kid, but always wanted to (much like Sailor Moon) so I'm glad this is getting a re-release that won't be $300 in individual discs.

The price point isn't awful, especially with Rightstuf's discount.

Also, I've loved the recent releases of Digimon and Monster Rancher, even if they are dub only. Although, I plan to get the Monster Farm series when it's out, too.

[EDIT: Sorry, but the AoA soapboxing thing is a dead horse, and we don't really like people continuously ranting about it. Sure, some people don't like them. We get it. But please keep your opinions focused on NIS America. -TK]
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if maybe the people started NIS America just so they could license this? Maybe they wanted to but wanted to test the waters on their releases like Toradora and Pandora Hearts first to be on the safe side. I'm glad they got this. I'm definitely going to ask for the standard editions for Christmas.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Can we please get an uncut Digimon DVD release now? Please?

If you have an intermediate knowledge of Japanese, you can easily watch the raws. Very Happy Get your ass to CDJapan, now!

Hate to go off-topic with this further, but this should be cleared up. Anything that's not Digimon Savers (fifth series/season) or the first seven Digimon films (the first two films are on the same disc/release) are out of print, and you'll be paying scalper prices for anything else (like the series' proper DVD sets from a few years back). Digimon Xros Wars, the latest series, only has a Japan rental release. Over on the R1 side of things, obviously we've been getting the dub on DVD, but subtitled versions of the first three series exist on various stream sites, like Netflix, Hulu, etc. It's all spread out and confusing.

Uhm, Cardcaptor Sakura. Not ever show gets what this show is getting right now, and that's a shame. All the more reason to snatch these up.
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
At first, I was really excited for this DVD until I found out it had the Aniplex Dub on it. I know it's uncut, but the Nelvana Dub had better voice actors. Unless someone can tell me the Aniplex Dub improves, I think I'm gonna pass on this DVD.

P.S. I would love it if NIS America released the Nelvana Dub separately to please all the fans, like myself.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
RightStufSpecialsMinion wrote:
KENZICHI wrote:

Sorry about that Anime smile + sweatdrop I thought something was off because you guys wouldn't know about the dub either. Either way, it's a new dub for me lol.

What I don't like though is that the dvd's don't come with the nice bonuses the bluray version has. I REALLY want the illustration book! I don't have a bluray player (aside from maybe my ps3 if it plays them), but I'm not too keen on using my ps3 to watch movies.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Amara Tenoh wrote:
At first, I was really excited for this DVD until I found out it had the Aniplex Dub on it. I know it's uncut, but the Nelvana Dub had better voice actors.

The uncut English version of Cardcaptor Sakura is actually from Animax.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14