• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Licenses Cardcaptor Sakura TV Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaharaFrost

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I feel this is obligatory

Agree. So much agree. O_O
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:22 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
I don't have a bluray player (aside from maybe my ps3 if it plays them), but I'm not too keen on using my ps3 to watch movies.

Your PS3 will play BDs. It actually has a pretty good quality BD player. In fact, I use my PS3 to play movies much more than I've ever used it to play games. Not sure where the issue is in using it, but then again I have a remote for it so I'm not trying to use my controller to navigate the menus and such.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:55 am Reply with quote
@KENZICHI

As far as that goes, Blu-ray players have gotten fairly cheap, buy one if you don't want to use your PS3.

NISA has already brought out a couple of series Blu-ray only. I would not be surprised to see other companies do the same. Sooner or later a show you really want will be issued Blu-ray only.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:48 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

in other worse it may be call a psuedo old english dub version considering its an old animax dub. regardless, both animax and nelvana are as just as bad. hopefully the quote made on the facebook page might turn out to be true and NIS might just just actually decide on doing a new english dub version instead of using the animax dub.

You don't actually read anything anyone else is writing, do you? Justin Sevakis, who is working on the BDs, has said it's the Animax version. NISA is not making a dub from scratch, deal with it. And too expensive? Seems your math skills are are just as good as your reading comprehension. A new Funimation title, like say Haganai NEXT, which is 12 episodes retails for $69.98. That's $5.83 per episode. A Sentai sub only BD release like Chuunibyou retails for $49.98 for 13 episodes. That's $3.84 per episode for a barebones release. This set with a much better artbox and book plus subs and dubs retails for $249.99 for 70 episodes. That's $3.57 per episode, even cheaper than a barebones Sentai release. And that's just going off the MSRP. TRSI is selling it far cheaper than that. So enough with your idiotic claims that this is overpriced.

actually it is.

cause some of us otakus arent made of money and cant afford a $249.99 collection. not to mention that NIS America does have a bad rep of having them really expensive even though their high quality. most of the collections that the other companies does is at least in the near $100.00 - $150.00 range with all the extras and in high quality.most of us can manage that, but over $200.00 is kinda too much for some of us.

Lann wrote:

The Animax dub uses the original score music. How can anyone justify the Nelvana version? Im not saying the Animax version is perfect but at least it retains the uncut soul of the show.

I highly doubt it would be possible but in an ideal world I would rather have the dub team from Bang Zoom that did the 2nd movie. But this isnt a question about professionalism, its about getting an already existing uncut dub out in the open for all to see, and filing the appalling 'Cardcaptors' version to the vaults to be forgotten about forever.

However when all is said and done, I would still choose the Japanese dub. It would just be nice to know my future children will get to watch it in uncut English, like we all should have seen it originally.

Well i wont disagree with you cause you are right on some things. Sure the animax version is indeed unedited and is by far more superior than the god awful nelvana version (still more surprised their not six feet under just like 4kids) but unfortunately the animax english dubs are kinda bad.

i haved watched all of the episodes of a lot of series they dubbed including CCS and its definitely not good at all. hell some of them are downright atrocious.

Though most of us should be greatfull that the series have a dub regardless considering that NIS could have easily had given this their usual sub-only treatment, unfortunately the animax versions are just too unwatchable for some of us that unfortunately got spoiled too much by watching dubs from HQ dub studios like bang zoom, NYAV , ocean studios and others.

Amara Tenoh wrote:
At first, I was really excited for this DVD until I found out it had the Aniplex Dub on it. I know it's uncut, but the Nelvana Dub had better voice actors.

Unfortunately your wrong. first thing the company is called Animax Asia, not Aniplex.

Another thing is that ALL DUBS FROM NELVANA ARE ATROCIOUS!!! Not to mention that none of the VA they used for the series they licensed just cant act for crap.

If it wasnt for 4kids and the horror they did, nelvana would have been the most hated dub company in the anime industry. so unfortunately , i am afraid that your probably the only person here let alone in the entire otaku community that liked that garbage. but its a lonely island nevertheless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZZalapski

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
Good grief, the haterade flowing here is so ridiculous. Let's recap:

Cardcaptor Sakura, a much-beloved and acclaimed show, has been rescued from license oblivion, long after the Pioneer sub-only DVDs have gone OOP. Fans who missed out on it before can now own it for their collection, at a reasonable price on a per-episode basis. Oh, it's also available on Blu-ray.

If you're inclined to buy it just going by that synopsis, why would you give two craps about what the dub is like? I mean, if you didn't care for the show, or if you don't have the funds up front, okay, whatever, but kvetching how you're not going to buy it just because the dub may or may not suck seems like abject nonsense.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
This set with a much better artbox and book plus subs and dubs retails for $249.99 for 70 episodes. That's $3.57 per episode, even cheaper than a barebones Sentai release. And that's just going off the MSRP. TRSI is selling it far cheaper than that. So enough with your idiotic claims that this is overpriced.

actually it is.

cause some of us otakus arent made of money and can't afford a $249.99 collection. not to mention that NIS America does have a bad rep of having them really expensive even though their high quality. most of the collections that the other companies does is at least in the near $100.00 - $150.00 range with all the extras and in high quality.most of us can manage that, but over $200.00 is kinda too much for some of us.
Way to completely ignore the point. How many of those sets are premium Blu-ray editions? What Sailor S is comparing it to certainly aren't. The only real argument with the price is that it's a lot to drop at once; in a case like that, it's usually a good idea to set aside a little each month to take the sting out of it, which in this case would be just under $60 per month(not all that much in the grand scheme of things - my grannymobile sucks down more in gas for little more than 10-mile round trips to work).
Touma

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
... That's $3.57 per episode [for the Blu-ray], even cheaper than a barebones Sentai release. And that's just going off the MSRP. TRSI is selling it far cheaper than that. So enough with your idiotic claims that this is overpriced.

actually it is.

cause some of us otakus arent made of money and can't afford a $249.99 collection...

I think that you are misusing "overpriced." Something is not overpriced simply because you cannot afford it. It is overpriced if the price is higher than it should be for what you get. That is not the case here.

As has been pointed out $3.57 per episode for the Blu-ray and $2.57 per episode for the DVD is very reasonable. I think that it is actually a bit less than the average price for a new anime release, even a release without a dub.
I might be wrong but I think that NIS is promoting this as a sub only release, with the Animax dub being included as a bonus feature.

Also, the DVD release is only $60 each for three volumes. That is very much in line for what you would pay for a set with 23 or 24 episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pangea

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
Oh im soooo gonna buy this! I was almost thinking about buying the Australian version.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to sum it up my feelings on this thread. If you can't afford to buy this collectors set then don't, stop complaining about not having the money to do so. Chalk it off, move the hell on and try forget about it that's what most adults do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
stararnold

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
It makes me happy to hear that the 1990s classic is finally coming back to print, and here's hoping that it will get re-aired on North American TV so as to give today's North American T.V. viewers the legal chance to watch it before deciding if it's worth owning on DVD/Blu-Ray. NIS America may want to look for networks like Nickelodeon, Spike TV, Adult Swim, Teletoon Retro, W Network, and SPACE to see who will be interested in airing it.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
stararnold wrote:
...here's hoping that it will get re-aired on North American TV so as to give today's North American T.V. viewers the legal chance to watch it before deciding if it's worth owning on DVD/Blu-Ray. NIS America may want to look for networks like Nickelodeon, Spike TV, Adult Swim, Teletoon Retro, W Network, and SPACE to see who will be interested in airing it.

Trying to get Cardcaptor Sakura on American TV will be a really long shot, and even if it were to make it on TV, I highly doubt it would be seen on Adult Swim and/or Spike.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I think The Hub would be a good place for it. If it can air stuff like My Little Pony, Batman The Animated Series, and Tiny Toon Adventures uncut and uncensored, then I don't see why CCS wouldn't be a good fit on there.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
If you want that set to be cheaper, then you should've supported the show the first time around, instead of snatching it up at fire sales before the scalpers came in. Or not buying it at all, and just watching it all on fansubs. As is, though, it's a better deal than what people have paid for KOR on DVD, Macross on DVD, Madoka on DVD/BD, R.O.D. on Blu-Ray, Fate/Zero on DVD/Blu-Ray, etc. You still don't wanna buy it, then fine. Just don't complain. Instead, encourage others you know who might be interested to support it.

This is probably not a cheap license for NISA, and even at that price, they're no doubt taking a hit. So if it disappoints for them, then you can say goodbye to other magical girl shows getting picked up or rescued. It's exactly like the Mami thing. The reason these series don't get licensed more often is because there are still warehouses full of unsold discs of similar shows which did get picked up.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:47 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I think The Hub would be a good place for it. If it can air stuff like My Little Pony, Batman The Animated Series, and Tiny Toon Adventures uncut and uncensored, then I don't see why CCS wouldn't be a good fit on there.

ONE PROBLEM! No way Hasbro will go the anime rout. face facts. magical girl series in TV are dead and have been after sailor moon was showing on toonami back in the late 90's.

Touma wrote:

As has been pointed out $3.57 per episode for the Blu-ray and $2.57 per episode for the DVD is very reasonable. I think that it is actually a bit less than the average price for a new anime release, even a release without a dub.
I might be wrong but I think that NIS is promoting this as a sub only release, with the Animax dub being included as a bonus feature.

Also, the DVD release is only $60 each for three volumes. That is very much in line for what you would pay for a set with 23 or 24 episodes.

true if you put it like that it would be. but that is only if they were selling the pricing for the episodes individually like that online.

also they are having the dub as a bonus feature. though whether its all of them or part is a question regarless though the extras on this collection is very meaty and it does looks like it have a lot of them, as usual the pricing is kinda too much for the premium edition. its better off to just get the standard edition though its only for die hard CCS fans and shelf collectors. definitely wont be worth it if your a dubber cause though the animax dub is definitely not atrocious as the nelvana dub , its mediocre at best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

The Nelvana was unedited...just with a US hack-job airing. And I've heard the English Animax dubs...they're not that good. They may as well do a sub-only, and put the Nelvana dub onto another release

I can assure you that the full aired 'DUB' you are talking about was edited. I have watched it and also own Madman's unedited DVD set and there are MANY edits. Let me give you a simple example.

In episode 3 Sakura goes on a date with Yukito to the aquarium where they encounter the Watery card. In the Cardcaptors version that was changed to them meeting by accident. Any such thing that hinted at relationships and especially the same sex relationship between Sakura's brother and Yukito was removed.

http://ccs.wikia.com/wiki/Sakura's_Heart-Racing_First_Date
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14