• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Licenses Cardcaptor Sakura TV Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I won't complain about prices, because I forked out money for Aniplex when it came to Madoka multiple times. This is worth skipping daily meals for me. And is it safe to assume this is a brand new dub? If it spans seventy episodes, it seems a safe assumption. If so, wouldn't this be NIS America's first instance of dubbing a property? Which studio would they farm out to for VAs anyways? For some reason my gut says Bang Zoom...

I REALLY hope its a re-dub. It really deserves it. I remember watching an episode of CardCaptors once and Sakura sounded like my older sister. Oh! Even better! It'd be awesome if they got kids like Michelle Creber or Claire Corlett in the cast! But then again, we have no word if they're referring to a re-dub or an unedited version of CardCaptors, so I don't know.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
It isn't a brand new dub - why in the world would they produce a brand new dub for a show in mono?

There were several dubs produced for this show, many of them cut in various ways for broadcast in different territories, only one - the Animax dub, produced in Asia - is fully uncut. Again, the release mentions that the dub is mono. The most reasonable assumption is that this is the dub they're using, but I'm sure they'll officially clarify very soon.
kakoishii

bj_waters wrote:
st_owly wrote:
I feel this is obligatory

This was my first thought. Though I have to admit that $250 is a pretty hefty price tag. However, my general rule of thumb is to break it down to cost-per-episode, which is about $3.50 (I admit I prefer it closer to $2), but that would make a 12 episode series box set about $42, which seems almost reasonable. And it's a Blu-Ray of some of the best animation to ever hit television. Decisions, decisions!

I think it's necessary to point out that $250 is the MSRP, but Rightstuf is selling it at a bit of discount for $178, which is still pricey but that takes a good chunk down to it being a bit more reasonable (you're getting 70 episode plus some extra goodies for that price, not like a certain other company that sells stuff at a good bit more than that for a quarter of those episodes). I also think it's necessary to point out that the standard set isn't selling for ~$50 like the article seems to suggest, but ~$42 bucks a season, thus if you were to go the standard route you'd be spending about ~$126 for all 3 seasons and you wouldn't be getting that nice hard bound book they give you for the premium edition (which if you figure that into the premium edition's cost you're spending ~$30 more for the book not adding cost to the per episode amount). With all that considered, I think the price is pretty reasonable, quite possibly even a steal especially if I consider what it used to cost back in the day to own the whole set.
firedragon54738

Dont know if I should still hate them or forgive them but 250 bucks for blu-ray that to much green for me blood
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Lann wrote:
Please for the love of god tell me they are using the Animax dub. That would make my year!

Oh man, this reminds me when Bandai and Geneon outsourced their dubs to Singapore before the bubble burst. Is it least better than that Karin dub? Anime hyper

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
merr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:
I won't complain about prices, because I forked out money for Aniplex when it came to Madoka multiple times. This is worth skipping daily meals for me. And is it safe to assume this is a brand new dub? If it spans seventy episodes, it seems a safe assumption. If so, wouldn't this be NIS America's first instance of dubbing a property? Which studio would they farm out to for VAs anyways? For some reason my gut says Bang Zoom...

I REALLY hope its a re-dub. It really deserves it. I remember watching an episode of CardCaptors once and Sakura sounded like my older sister. Oh! Even better! It'd be awesome if they got kids like Michelle Creber or Claire Corlett in the cast! But then again, we have no word if they're referring to a re-dub or an unedited version of CardCaptors, so I don't know.

The fact that the dub is mono only and being advertised as a "bonus," suggests that it's not brand new. It's probably the Animax dub from Singapore (or possibly an uncut version of the Nelvana dub, which supposedly aired in Australia).
Veniamin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Slated for August?

Does that mean it'll get re dubbed? Let's hope they bring back the Bang!Zoom cast.
angieness

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
If the price scares you, Righstuf has it for $178! Still a lot, but quite a bit better than $250!
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
This is great news. While I'm not a huge fan of this show or anything, this does look very nice.

Also, I'm pretty sure they're using the Hong Kong Animax dub, which is interesting, since not a single one has been released over here before...
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't really like the art used for the box, cases, and discs. Wish they went with something along the lines of Japan's box art. Looks so...Cardcaptors...
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
There aren't many licenses that would have me do a spit-take. This is one of them. Wow...

I also find the reactions to the price hilarious. It's 70 episodes. What did you expect? Personally, I 'm thrilled to finally give this iconic show a shot.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
It isn't a brand new dub - why in the world would they produce a brand new dub for a show in mono?

There were several dubs produced for this show, many of them cut in various ways for broadcast in different territories, only one - the Animax dub, produced in Asia - is fully uncut. Again, the release mentions that the dub is mono. The most reasonable assumption is that this is the dub they're using, but I'm sure they'll officially clarify very soon.

I'll have to agreed with Zac on this one, it's probably that dub not the Nelvana dub done by Ocean Group.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cait

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Just pre-ordered it at TRSI. For the pre-order price they're quoting it's worth it to get the Blu-rays right now.

I was literally looking at CCS longingly on eBay yesterday. I'm glad I didn't make any bids. Anime hyper
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I pirated this years ago. Christ, time to pony up. The Bluray is 4:3 but is super nice. Hope it don't sell out.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I just happened to check out RightStuf's site and came upon this news and my reaction was completely !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and then:
st_owly wrote:
I feel this is obligatory

After so long I figured the blurays would never come here. I can't wait to get this. This will be a nice replacement for my singles, though personally I'm not too thrilled with the look of the box compared to what Pioneer/Geneon had put out.

As for the price, going by episode count, this falls right in line with NISA's other releases, so no problems there imo.

Now I just need to decide if I want to purchase it from RightStuf or NISA.

Last edited by Covnam on Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 14