• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Final Fantasy XIV

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I actually have the original FF14 collector's box sitting on my shelf. I think people tend to bash it a little more than is justified - it was somewhat poorly optimised to my system & had some odd gameplay hiccups, but otherwise seemed like a perfectly functioning game to me. In particular, I think their summer festival with the bombs and the swimsuits was when they were at their peak with FF14 1.0, so far as the fun factor.

The overall problem as I recall was that it was simply just boring. Here they had this massive game world and the ability to tell such an amazing story to weave your character into, and yet there was just NOTHING of consequence to do. The story only started getting interesting towards the end, but I think that's around the time everyone gave up on it - including me - when they started asking a monthly fee for it.

I like what they've done to improve Realm Reborn. I think it fixes every issue I ever had with the original, and it makes for a proper Final Fantasy MMO/fanservice engine. Still though, the pacing of the story is a little rough.....they have multiple spots where you either have mindless fetch quests buffering the more intense moments of the game, or you are forced to enter a group dungeon when there isn't actually anyone immediately available to group with.

There are also some spots where I wish it was a bit more "focused" like Final Fantasy 11 was - it never used to hold your hand, and the story was rather epic. Even through to the lvl 50 story boss, most of Realm Reborn feels like you are playing a tutorial up until the point you are hitting the level cap. It's been fun actually grouping up and enjoying the post-story status I've acquired (the Crystal Tower is an AMAZING experience in communication and teamwork), though it's also been a bit rough since it all relies heavily on how available other people are in the moment you want to group up for some dungeon runs.

Despite my mixed feelings on all of it, I've never had so much fun playing an Archer/ranged DPS character than in Realm Reborn. It's what keeps me coming back every few months.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2