• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Reprinting JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
My hope is that the censored "dog gore" and shit-eating or whatever will be restored as well. The mosques I don't care about; nothing that can be done there.

I think I'll just grab the end of the series with the Vanilla Ice\Dio fight though.

WAIT: I have volume 3, reprinted last year, censored dog is still there. Unless these are ALL NEW reprints again, which I doubt.
prabb

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Araki was more than okay with censoring a live being set on fire when he was asked to redraw it. The publishers aren't stifling anybody's creativity so I don't see why the absence of animal cruelty would keep someone from legally buying a comic book.

I'd personally be more wary of the mosque changes in the OVA/manga but even then the original creator was okay with the changes made so it's hard to get too upset. These miniscule changes have no effect on the story whatsoever.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure isn't a video nasty that will get you sent to jail for distributing/enjoying. Viz/Shueisha aren't anything like Margaret Thatcher. It's gonna be okay. Buying stuff like the reprints of the manga and ASB is the only way to get more JoJo licensed.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Restless:
Quote:
My concern is primarily over what VIZ had him change.

They probably get enough bad press over manji in Pokemon and Naruro. They don't need PETA breathing down their backs, too.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
It's more like Araki made changes because he didn't want to bite the hand that feeds him. Obviously he's going to be "ok" with censoring religious material and what not, if he wants to keep publishing Jojo. One can argue that every bit of the original creative output is part of the story, the only difference is degree. Sadly, Shueisha and Viz by extension, are pretty craven, like many Asian companies.
AgitoZ

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:
...But didn't they censor the original run?

If they aren't, I'll buy 'em all. Until I have that confirmation, however, I'm watching from the sidelines.

Quote:
In May 2008, both Shueisha and studio A.P.P.P. halted manga/OVA shipments of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure after a complaint had been launched against them from Egyptian Islamic fundamentalists, after noticing a scene in the OVAs that has the villain, Dio Brando, reading a book depicting pages from the Qur'an. This recall affected the English-language releases as well, causing Viz Media and Shueisha to cease publication for a year. Even though the manga did not feature that specific scene, Shueisha had Araki redraw scenes that depicted characters fighting on top of, and destroying, mosques for later printings of the series

Yep, we can blame the fundamentalists for this one.

To add insult to injury the fan who noticed it was watching a bootleg.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:

My hope is that the censored "dog gore" and shit-eating or whatever will be restored as well. The mosques I don't care about; nothing that can be done there.

prabb wrote:

I'd personally be more wary of the mosque changes in the OVA/manga but even then the original creator was okay with the changes made so it's hard to get too upset. These miniscule changes have no effect on the story whatsoever.

Heh, wonder what if it's a church, and it's the Vatican who complained..............
GVman

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:48 am Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:

I think I'll just grab the end of the series with the Vanilla Ice\Dio fight though.

WAIT: I have volume 3, reprinted last year, censored dog is still there. Unless these are ALL NEW reprints again, which I doubt.

Wait, the shit-eating was removed? How?
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
enurtsol: HUEHUE, Too bad I'm Catholic, so I would be just fine with having that removed too...although if there was nothing ado in Vatican City over the church shootout in The Killer (fun-fact: pro-Christian symbolism abounds in that movie), then nothing can faze us.

GV: Ehm...I believe there was some sort of alternate angle redraw\cropping thing going on there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2