• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Turning Point: 1997-2008

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
This is just the American coming out in me, but I feel he should in the very least have a LITTLE gratitude towards America. I mean, if it weren't for us helping them out with their economy after WWII who knows what would have happened to Japan. It certainly wouldn't be the country we all know and love today.

As for him hating America for the longest time, he sounded just like my Nana, only she hated Japan for the longest time! Laughing
Giving the time they were both alive in, it's understandable. I mean, my Nana was a kid when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor and he was a kid when his neighborhood got bombed.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:32 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:

Quote:
The US first got Guantanamo Bay from Spain due to its victory on the Spanish-American War. Then-baby nation of Cuba was pressured to lease Guantanamo Bay as a result of 1903 US-Cuba Treaty. Then it was superseded by the 1934 Treaty signed with Batista granting perpetual lease, with both parties needing to agree for its termination. But since Fidel Castro's revolution overthrew the Batista government, making Castro and the US enemies, obviously the US won't agree with him for the termination of the lease but continues to pay the yearly lease payments which obviously Castro would not cash except once.

America wanted to prevent the self-liberation of Cuba from Spain,which is why after the war they turned Cuba into pretty much colony(Ernest May referred to it as "virtual colony).Of course later on America forced Cuba to sign a treaty,which ironically it broke itself,turning Guantanamo into one large detention camp made to torture people.I would also like to add beautiful quote made by Theodor Roosevelt on Cubans "Just at the moment I am so angry with that infernal little Cuban republic that I would like to wipe its people off the face of the earth. All that we wanted from them was that they would behave themselves and be prosperous and happy so that we would not have to interfere".If only they were grateful enough.

The U.S. did the same to the Philippines, even fought a war. But eventually U.S. gave them their independence and even later agreed to leave their bases in the Philippines because both became friends. (Last month, the U.S. was even invited back to use the bases.) And that's pretty much where all this comes down to. As long as Cuba and U.S. are enemies, don't expect neither side to do the other any favors.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The U.S. did the same to the Philippines, even fought a war. But eventually U.S. gave them their independence and even later agreed to leave their bases in the Philippines because both became friends. (Last month, the U.S. was even invited back to use the bases.) And that's pretty much where all this comes down to. As long as Cuba and U.S. are enemies, don't expect neither side to do the other any favors.

Hundred years ago,America implemented a system in Philippines which would work in their benefit.They controlled and used rich landowners who have the entire power of the state,they destroyed nationalist groups and created brutal Philippine Constabulary.I highly doubt we can speak of friendship between states,because when you look at state of Philippines now the system is basically intact .The elite still holds a lot of power,Philippine National Police is known well for their brutality and U.S. is pretty achieving whatever they want from that country.Unlike former Japanese colonies(Singapore and Hong Kong) that in recent years achieved economic success,ordinary people of Philippines live in misery.Being friends with U.S.A. for these small state implies being entirely obedient to it.So yeah I am not sure if Cuba has much of a choice to make.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:05 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:

Hundred years ago,America implemented a system in Philippines which would work in their benefit.They controlled and used rich landowners who have the entire power of the state,they destroyed nationalist groups and created brutal Philippine Constabulary.I highly doubt we can speak of friendship between states,because when you look at state of Philippines now the system is basically intact .The elite still holds a lot of power,Philippine National Police is known well for their brutality and U.S. is pretty achieving whatever they want from that country.Unlike former Japanese colonies(Singapore and Hong Kong) that in recent years achieved economic success,ordinary people of Philippines live in misery.Being friends with U.S.A. for these small state implies being entirely obedient to it.So yeah I am not sure if Cuba has much of a choice to make.

Singapore and Hong Kong were not Japanese colonies. They were conquered briefly in WW2, that's it. They would never consider themselves former Japanese colonies. Maybe y'mean British colonies.

Philippines is just like any other 3rd-world country, no more no less, regardless of their friendship with the U.S. But Philippines is doing much better now, and they still value their friendship with the U.S. - that's the reason why the U.S. and the Philippines do a lot of things together, not because of some obedience (as mentioned, the Philippines before closed the U.S. off their bases there, and now they're the ones who's inviting the U.S. back in). U.S. policies hardly matter in the Philippines.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Singapore and Hong Kong were not Japanese colonies. They were conquered briefly in WW2, that's it. They would never consider themselves former Japanese colonies. Maybe y'mean British colonies.

And during their occupation Japan laid down the basis for their economic development(mind you that also includes countries like Taiwan and South Korea).Japan brought raw materials and industries all of which lead to their industrial development.If you need a source,you can read The Northeast Asian Political Economy in the 20th Century by Bruce Cummings.
Quote:
But Philippines is doing much better now, and they still value their friendship with the U.S. - that's the reason why the U.S. and the Philippines do a lot of things together, not because of some obedience (as mentioned, the Philippines before closed the U.S. off their bases there, and now they're the ones who's inviting the U.S. back in).

Those bases would have never been closed off if Mount Pinatubo hadn't erupted,but I see your point.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Kani:
Quote:
It is nice to say that,but you are also ignoring that some of the worst crime Iraq committed against it's own people were supported by USA(gassing of Kurds in Iraq is one of many examples).

And we sold Iraq the weapons while promising the Kurds that if they rebelled against Saddam, we'd be behind them.

Tars: See my previous comment. Also, Saddam was one of our CIA puppets during the Cold War.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention the US and the CIA backed and trained the Taliban during the Russian invasion of Afghanistan. Wink
Oops, I wasn't suppose to mention that. Laughing
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
Only an idiot would have the ears of children around the world, bitch about what they grow up into, and blatantly refuse a chance to talk to and change them. I think he's just pissed his films aren't more popular in the US and so makes the childish excuse, "I meant to do that."

I respect his film making but have little respect for the man.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4