• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Won't Add Same-Sex Relationships to Tomodachi Life

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:

They could either include or not include same-sex relationships, and NOT ANNOUNCE IT EITHER WAY. Most people wouldn't notice, and the people who would, wouldn't be in any great numbers.

As is, they're going out of their way to announce "NO SAME-SEX RELATIONSHIPS IN THIS GAME... DEAL WITH IT", like they're intentionally stirring the pot.

You're reading way too much into it. Nintendo simply reacted to a campaign gamers started a couple of week ago. Not responding would have been kind of rude and could have potentially made things worse for them.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:27 am Reply with quote
This thread of fail.

You can get same sex couples in The Sims, it's no big deal.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:47 am Reply with quote
Hey guys. So I'm a Nintendo fan. And if you are too, or even if you're just a gamer in general, you're probably feeling very angry and confused right now (or at least, more angry and confused than usual). Somebody criticized a thing you like. And on top of that, the critics are asking for change. Change! But okay. Let's just take a deep breath. Believe it or not, I got through this and so can you. In fact, I've put together a helpful little step-by-step guide just to help you do it. Here we go:

#1) Nobody is criticizing Nintendo. They are attacking Nintendo. Criticisms are either valid or invalid. And showing which would require actual arguments. But "attacks" are just mean and aggressive. By categorizing everything as an "attack" you can skip that whole quagmire that is "arguments" and "actually addressing the issue in a meaningful way" and just dismiss the complaints out of hand. Plus, it's perfectly natural to automatically jump to the defense of someone being attacked. Why, it might even be called heroic. But only angry, irrational people automatically dismiss criticisms they don't like as invalid.

#2) This is a 1st amendment issue no matter what anyone else says. Nintendo has "the right" to do what they want. Check and mate. No matter what anyone else says you can always fall back on this statement. And don't get confused by the fact that nobody has actually said anything to dispute this. If you've followed this guide's instructions up to this point, you've already categorized everything said as an attack. It's a fairly straight shot from there to just completely misrepresenting the critic's position. No sane person would interpret the voicing of criticisms as an attempt to actually force someone to do something. But the critics "attacking" Nintendo are a bunch of terrible freedom haters who want to literally force Nintendo to change their game. If you feel like it, you can even go a step further and suggest that these people are violent lunatics on the verge of a full blown riot. That's fairly plausible I think.

#3) "Progressives". Remember, the last thing you want is to mention actual homosexuals here. At best, this will lead to meaningful talk of the actual issue and its impact. At worst, it may lead to accusations of bigotry or insensitivity. That's why we're gonna want to just write them out of the equation entirely. Instead, we'll just go ahead and hang the whole thing on the specter of "progressives". This vague, amorphous group is responsible for every complaint you disagree with. And we need pay no mind to them and their silly, trendy demands. "Games shouldn't cater to minority groups" makes you sound like a wretched person. But "games shouldn't be concerned with pandering to a bunch of silly progressives" lets you dismiss the needs of others without sounding overtly like a prick.

#4) Lastly, hopefully this goes without saying but I'll mention it anyway. This complaint is totally unreasonable and those who disagree are stupid. I know, I know. You're thinking "well that's a given." But, there is a slight outside chance that you might, at some point, hear a tiny voice somewhere in the back of your head:

"Eh...you know, maybe this isn't so unreasonable. I mean, how would I feel if a game discounted my sexual orientation? It's easy to not think of that since games never do. But if things were reversed, I'd be complaining for sure. I mean, I just finished losing my shit because Mewtwo isn't in the new Smash Bros for goodness sake. And now I'm telling people they shouldn't complain that their entire sexual orientation is being omitted? Christ. I'm being a gigantic asshole here aren't I?"

For the sake of all that it good, ignore this voice! Ignore it, stop for a minute, and just reflect on the prospect of change. Reflect on the abject fear it fills you with. Do that and the voice should pass. Your usual sense of dismissive anger should return.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:45 am Reply with quote
Well, I'll just say, my Mii can never be me, if she has to marry men. Because I wouldn't even date a man.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:50 am Reply with quote
You should see the IGN comments section on this one. It is hell on earth. Well Nintendo messed up here in my opinion and 15 years after the Sims i might add. But the world goes on i guess. Japan doesn´t aknowledge homosexuality after all (some regions though do) so i am not surprised. This is also the reason why Yaoi and Yuri mangas are so weard and dreamlike.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:55 am Reply with quote
Good for Nintendo. I truthfully dont care either way but it's ridiculous how much pestering and witch hunting goes on over this topic.

It's a stupid life simulator game. The point of the game isn't marriage or gay marriage. It's to play and have stupid fun with. If the fact that a certain subset of people cant get married in a Nintendo 3DS game keeps you up at night, then you have to have a pretty carefree life.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:57 am Reply with quote
OK, this one point -

ikillchicken wrote:
#2) This is a 1st amendment issue no matter what anyone else says. Nintendo has "the right" to do what they want. Check and mate. No matter what anyone else says you can always fall back on this statement. And don't get confused by the fact that nobody has actually said anything to dispute this. If you've followed this guide's instructions up to this point, you've already categorized everything said as an attack. It's a fairly straight shot from there to just completely misrepresenting the critic's position. No sane person would interpret the voicing of criticisms as an attempt to actually force someone to do something. But the critics "attacking" Nintendo are a bunch of terrible freedom haters who want to literally force Nintendo to change their game. If you feel like it, you can even go a step further and suggest that these people are violent lunatics on the verge of a full blown riot. That's fairly plausible I think.

Christian bakeries and wedding photographers in Oregon, New Mexico, Colorado and I'm not sure how many other states have been sued over refusing services to same sex couples. Uniformly those businesses are loosing in the various courts and a First Amendment claim, from what I have seen, does not work.

The issue is while you have an undeniable right to your beliefs, once you start working in the public domain - selling a product or service - you are required to abide by the rules that govern that domain. If those rules conflict with your belief then the only alternative you have is to not sell your service to the public.

It is not a pretty thing to look at or think about, and it certainly puts Nintendo in a bind, but it is how the laws of the United States work as they are written.

Mark Gosdin
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:44 am Reply with quote
My local news station covered this just as I was reading the comments. I'm 90% sure the news anchor mispronounced "tomodachi" as "tomodaki", but if that was right and I've been saying it incorrectly for years, goddamnit.

I think it's a little outlandish to get upset it wasn't there to begin with, but then Nintendo doesn't have to ignore groups of people going forward, which appears to be happening.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Aren't they making social commentary by announcing that they're NOT including them?

If they had been the ones to simply state that they are NOT including same-sex relationships, that would be the case. But this is a public response to complaints that, because of the wording, have apparently included accusations of homophobia or demands for a moral statement.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:19 am Reply with quote
I wonder how many people who are complaining about this were even going to get the game in the first place.

But yeah, Nintendo of America got themselves stuck between a rock and a hard place with this one. Either not add same-sex relationships and get shat on by critics, or do add it and watch the game get slapped a T rating which will hurt its' sales considering what kind of game it is. Assuming that making a big change (since it would be much more than a typical localization) would probably require approval from Nintendo of Japan. And considering it's Japan, it would probably be a no.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
I'm actually partial to this "Miiquality" movement, but Jesus Christ do not buy the game if your so damned "offended" (most of the people in this movement probably will anyway). Rolling Eyes
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:35 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Attitudes in the US have changed over the past couple of decades and people have become more "in your face" aggressive about their sexuality.

Yeah man, last week I went to the theater and was enjoying a perfectly good movie when suddenly the hero and the heroine start kissing and touching. I just wanted to see some explosions. Why's Hollywood forcing their heterosexual worldview on me? It's disgusting. Then I go out to the lobby and there are all these straight couples there holding hands, smooching -- ugh! We get it, you're straight. Be happy about it, but stop forcing your sexuality on me with these public displays of affection.

Alunimus wrote:
Wow, now these trans-gay-whatever activists try to attack kids' game with their mythical "social commentaries". Shame on them.

Because we don't want kids to think it's okay to be gay. Let's continue to create an environment where gay kids struggle because they think there's something wrong with them and straight kids assume it's okay to make fun of them because they've been insulated from the possibility that any sexual orientation other than "straight" exists.

Hey, it's worked well so far.
redranger

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote
I have no problem with nintendo's decision. If they don't want to add gays that is their right. Don't acquiesce to people moaning and whining.
Lynxikat

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Lynxikat wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Aren't they making social commentary by announcing that they're NOT including them?

And they would be making a social commentary if they announced that they would. It's a lose-lose situation.

They could either include or not include same-sex relationships, and NOT ANNOUNCE IT EITHER WAY. Most people wouldn't notice, and the people who would, wouldn't be in any great numbers.

As is, they're going out of their way to announce "NO SAME-SEX RELATIONSHIPS IN THIS GAME... DEAL WITH IT", like they're intentionally stirring the pot.

Most people don't expect same-sex relationships in games. It would be neat if there were, but the expectation simply isn't there. Going out of their way to announce it ahead of time that there won't be any is just whacking a beehive with a stick.

Anyway, I can't read the word "Tomodachi" without thinking of a guy wearing a Ninja Hattori-kun mask and droning "KENJI-KUN... ASOBI MASHO."

Eh, I wouldn't say that people wouldn't notice either way even if Nintendo didn't announce it. One of the other users here said that for whatever reason, people seem to equate homosexuality with sex. Another user mentioned that even if same-sex relationships were in Tomodachi, the rating would be at least E+10 or maybe even a T, which would hurt sales considering how a good portion of Nintendo games, especially the 3DS games, are played by kids, and parents aren't gonna buy a T or E +10 game from a company that almost solely produces E games.

dandelion_rose wrote:
You can get same sex couples in The Sims, it's no big deal.

Comparing Tomadachi to The Sims isn't fair because The Sims is specifically meant for an older audience -- specifically, an audience that KNOWS about sex (Since sex does exist in the Sims & is a big part of it -- cause after all, how can you make a big family that lasts for generations without two Sims having sex?).

If people really have an issue with Tomadachi not having same-sex relationships, then don't buy it -- if enough people don't buy it because of that specific reason, then it'll send Nintendo a message and in the future, they may reconsider putting in same-sex relationships.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:54 am Reply with quote
Lynxikat wrote:
If people really have an issue with Tomadachi not having same-sex relationships, then don't buy it -- if enough people don't buy it because of that specific reason, then it'll send Nintendo a message and in the future, they may reconsider putting in same-sex relationships.

I doubt that anyone from Nintendo goes around making market surveys of people who refuse to buy Tomodachi Life because of the exclusion of same sex flirting.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6