• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/stay night's 2nd Promo Video by ufotable Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
"people die if they are killed"

-Shirou Emiya
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Miskos3 wrote:
I'm talking about ufotable's anime, not original novels. I believe one of the past news posts about ufotable's Stay Night claimed that it would be a sequel to Zero anime.

Actually I think that came from one of the early trailers that described the new one as a continuation of F/Z and a F/SN for a new generation.

myskaros wrote:
Honestly, anyone who thinks the DEEN show "wasn't that bad" hasn't played the VN, so they have no base of comparison. It's like saying typewriters aren't that bad only because you've never seen a word processor on a computer.

I've 'played' the VN. (More like 'read' but which ever verb you want.) The DEEN anime wasn't that bad and UBW aside from obvious pacing issues actually did a pretty solid job.

What is your issue with the anime? The fact that it didn't faithfully follow a single path and combined elements of UBW and HF into Fate? Sure, they could have faithfully adapted the fate route, but the only people that would really have been better for are VN readers who don't need information from other routes thrown in to help explain / provide additional details. For UBW they included all the most important scenes and crammed them together which is the best anyone could possibly do with turning a story that long into a 2 hour movie.

I'm not saying DEEN's F/SN was amazing. However, it was a decent attempt to adapt something into an anime that is in a pretty unfriendly format: 3 different routes none of which explain the entire story. That is a lot more challenging to find a way to adapt and please everyone than a manga or LN.

Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Thu May 08, 2014 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
ss4chris

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
epiphanis wrote:
Don't really get the need for a remake. Especially less than a decade after the first one.

money milking in all honesty

should animate Heaven's Feel and spoiler[ scene with shirou and saber after death.]

[EDIT: Be courteous and please consider using spoiler tags for people when you should. -TK]
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Let's not engage in hyperbole, people. I know ardent fans of the VN weren't terribly happy about the original adaptation, but it hardly sucked, especially if evaluated as a stand-alone piece.

Being able to make a comparison puts things into perspective. In perspective it sucks.
ss4chris

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
mehh wrote:
epiphanis wrote:
Don't really get the need for a remake. Especially less than a decade after the first one.

The original was Shit. Hopefully this remake will actually be decent.

phoenixalia wrote:
So, if I want to get into the 'Fate' franchise, is the first anime to watch?

Providing it will actually just be a remake then yes. But afaik we don't actually know whether it'll be just a remake. MAL still displays it as a new story outside of the original work.
Even though I know it's incredibly unlikely, I'm still hoping for heaven's feel.

sounds like hentai side of you talking. because minus the sex scenes theres no real difference between the 2.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
ss4chris wrote:
epiphanis wrote:

money milking in all honesty

should animate Heaven's Feel and scene with shirou and saber after death.

Eh at least it'll be high quality. I agree that they're milking the series, but at least it's not an exact remake with like 2 new episodes coughP4GAcough
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
neonie wrote:
I'm a little dismayed by all the CG looking backgrounds and pan shots, but other then that it looks great. Can't wait.

The CG-tastic nature of the animation looks like crap. It looks like a dated video game.

Though the horrendous quality is in no small part due to the horrendous player that ANN is using to display this trailer. I think that the YouTube player sucks, but it is a godsend compared to this POS VK player. I don't much about this VK player, but I do know that whenever someone uploads a video to it, they're doing it wrong.

I'll try to hold out for the dub as the Japanese voicing in this couldn't be more stereotypical and thus cheesy. The deeper voiced actor in the trailer takes the cake for cheesiness as he has the hamminess of Shatner + Takei so taking him seriously in any way is something that I'm fairly confident I won't be able to do. I can't imagine that the cheesiness and stereotypical nature of the acting is lost on native Japanese speakers. Surely there must be Japanese anime fans who rail against the weaksauce Japanese voice acting that is all too common today.
mehh

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
ss4chris wrote:

sounds like hentai side of you talking. because minus the sex scenes theres no real difference between the 2.

No. The anime adaption was shit, no other reason than that.
RedHotPT

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Is great that they keep the same voice staff, especially Ayako Kawasumi and Kana Ueda, They are so good as Saber and Rin Tōsaka.

I liked the first adaptation, but there was this feeling the VN is so much better.
I think ufotable will be able to improve Fate/stay night to a all new level.

I hope they use the Realta Nua version of the VN with the unlocked epilogue of the Fate route.

Last edited by RedHotPT on Thu May 08, 2014 6:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
konqueror

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Ah, I just love VN elitism. Rolling Eyes

Let's not engage in hyperbole, people. I know ardent fans of the VN weren't terribly happy about the original adaptation, but it hardly sucked, especially if evaluated as a stand-alone piece.

Hardly...?

jl07045 wrote:
Being able to make a comparison puts things into perspective. In perspective it sucks.

Pretty much this.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
In Key's defense, I would like to think an adaptation can't have its own merits. Granted, by definition there are some expectations that should be met in relation to the source content, but it just depends on how that adaptation is handled and your own subjective preference in what changes become "acceptable."

A friend of mine found a translated copy of the VN and put it to my computer a while back, and I'm only up to like, Day 4 or something of the Fate path (which is all I've played so far). But I finished watching DEEN's adaptation about a month ago and am almost done with the first half of Zero.

Given what exposure I've had to all 3, so far, I would definitely say I didn't like DEEN's adaptation as much as I did a few years ago. I still think it's great for world-building and introducing viewers to the whole concept of the Holy Grail War, and I really like the score and some of the production value, but I also think It starts to feel a little generic towards the end (characterization-wise), but I did enjoy the buildup and everything else before it.

However, in playing the VN and watching Zero, the big difference (aside from ufotable's stellar production) is the amount of dialogue and exposition they both have. The world of Fate seems like a pretty mystical and mysterious one, and frankly, in hindsight, I think DEEN's adaptation only scratched the surface of that.

I think the approach ufotable took with Zero is much more in sync with a "novel" type of presentation: lots of talking, great buildup, the occasional action sequence, and then a break, reveal, or transition into another plot twist.

And if you incorporate *that* approach with *that* kind of production value into this remake, then color me excited.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
What Tony K. said. Deen's F/SN anime was good in its own merits and for its own reasons, and it'd be hard to say that it was actually the worst adaption out there. (Sorry, I also disagree that Umineko was that horrible an adaption, too)

I still would never recommend anyone watch it over reading the VN unless they just really couldn't get into the visual novel for some technical or time-constraint reason. But it's fine as supplementary material, too.

Regardless, not many people would deny the hype of this new anime. It's going to have a lot of expectations placed on it, and I hope it meets them, regardless of what it tries to do.
MexicanAnime

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
MexicanAnime wrote:
Fate/Stay Night spoils a lot out of Fate/Zero as well. It's much easier to get into F/Z and it playing the game that happens 10 years after the events makes a bit more sense.

While Fate/Zero provides an introduction, it was written for F/SN fans, so a lot of things are meant to be spoiled. F/Z on the other hand reveasl major plot points that are supposed to be either surprises or meant to be figured out while reading F/SN.

That being said, we don't know how the new adaptation will be written. Probably with those who've already seen F/Z in mind.

On an unrelated note... what the hell is wrong with Tohsaka's nose!?

While you would have some elements of F/SN spoiled, it still wouldn't cover up a large chunk of the visual novel (which I have read and adored) as it would if you did it vise verse. While you would suspect something from Kirei and Matou (not that it was all that secretive considering the dialogue between said characters), there's still a huge chunk of Heaven's Feel and basically all of UBW considering that's all around Emiya Shirou, a character who's in Fate/Zero for less than a minute. I didn't clarify this in my earlier post but I also meant to emphasize that it would be much easier to get people into a Fate/Zero (TV) than it would to a adult rated visual novel and it would give them a great introduction to the world. As much as people also dislike the first episode of Fate/Zero (which I personally had no issue with), it's much less than what the people who played the visual novel complained about with the whole first route.

Many people (along with myself) has found their way into the Type Moon fandom and it's not a bad or "incorrect" method. While it's not how it was originally "meant", that doesn't disregard it from being a good entry. I'm sure Nasu and Urobuchi were fine with this way as well considering they even bothered with an introduction and filling the viewer in, rather than assume the audience already knows what happens.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I've found that you're spoiled, no matter what you watch or read first. There were some reveals that shocked my girlfriend, who read and watched Fate/Zero only because she was an Urobuchi fan like myself. I knew them because of Fate/Stay Night (visual novel), but I definitely could see the shock in the scenes themselves, so it's still built-up-to pretty well. Unfortunately, I was not shocked.
Meanwhile, I was shocked by some things in Fate/Stay Night that Fate/Zero just reveals without batting an eye. And my girlfriend started reading the VN and has already said it takes some of the impact away to know it's there.

They spoil each other. You know how some battles will end in Fate/Zero just because of who is alive in F/SN or what was told to you in descriptions of the past in F/SN. Likewise, you know some character relations and some of the secrets of the grail and war and such in F/SN if you watch Fate/Zero first. Regardless, it hasn't stopped my girlfriend from enjoying the VN. Nor did it stop me from enjoying the F/Z anime.

Choose whichever you want to watch. I'm guessing ufotable will treat many of their story elements more like a sequel in F/SN than they would have if they never made F/Z first, but that's no rule and anything can happen at this point. Either story is still even better when you have the context of the other, at least.
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
epiphanis wrote:

The remake is strictly for the Fate arc. The first anime that was produced a decade ago included ALL three arcs but the ending was the Fate arc. So about a third-way through the series, things will begin to change since they're going to follow the roots of the visual novel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4