• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo to Offer New Game Consoles for Emerging Markets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I love how they're doing everything possible to avoid discussing the obvious "port your old stuff to smartphones already!" demands.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
hojo 360 wrote:
It's not about new hardware it's about games and the wii u has all most nothing.

New Super Mario Bros U
Super Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Game & Warrio
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Nintendoland
Wind Waker HD
Sonic Lost World
Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Bayonetta 2, and X all incoming.

How is that "almost nothing'"? PS4 really only has Ground Zeroes so far, but it's not an exclusive, sadly.

Quote:
I didn't realize that Nintendo were even trying to compete with Sony and Microsoft anymore.

That's because they're not.
Most of the games on your list our games that were or like the games for the 3DS there not pushing the wii u or showing it off at all i'm talking about games like bayonetta 2 and other 3rd party games not Nintendo re hash junk Razz
Unfortunately, that rehash stuff is the only hope when it comes to actually selling the system. Bayonetta sure isn't going to sell anything. Stuff like Mario Kart and Smash sure will though.

It's funny people use to say panic mode Nintendo is best Nintendo. Yet, in this panic all they've done is rehash and use thier ips more and more. Thats fine, but that did'nt help the Cube either. The Wii was a fluke and the Cube is the real comparison to make for the Wii U. Games like Kart and Smash are bound to sell no doubt, but I don't see them saving the Wii U or anything. They are preaching to the choir at that point.
Quote:

I love how they're doing everything possible to avoid discussing the obvious "port your old stuff to smartphones already!" demands.
Yep, they'd make tons of money and expose new audiences to thier stuff. It's stupid to ignore, but they do. That is why they fail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

probably because it's gotten so annoying it's better off to pretend it doesn't exist.
Max465

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
I played the Wii-U demo at GameStop before it went on sale. The controle was a huge brick that's about the same size of the console itself. There are times during gameplay that I had to touch & turn the control. I was very complicated & mediocre. I decided to not buy it. This is just proof on why a bad idea should stay a bad idea.

The controller is about half the thickness of the console itself and about 1/4th the weight. It doesn't feel uncomfortable at all. In fact I'd argue it's even more comfortable than the Gamecube controller (My personal favorite controller)

There probably isn't much I can do to change your opinion on the console, but I will mention that the kiosks in various stores aren't really great for demoing the system. The little wire attached to the gamepads on those things really screws with the balance and makes the controller feel clunky. It's unfortunate that they are most gamer's first, and only, experience with the console.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I'd hate to live in a country where you get one of these Nintendo platforms. They already struggle to support their global systems, imagine their budget ones.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I'd hate to live in a country where you get one of these Nintendo platforms. They already struggle to support their global systems, imagine their budget ones.
They could easily be repackaged Wii's or Cubes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

probably because it's gotten so annoying it's better off to pretend it doesn't exist.

It's what the market wants. And if they don't, the Google Play store will be perfectly happy selling emulators.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

It's what the market wants. And if they don't, the Google Play store will be perfectly happy selling emulators.

No, it's what screechy little idiots want. And you don't cater to idiots. This isn't difficult.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

No, it's what screechy little idiots want. And you don't cater to idiots. This isn't difficult.
Actually, you're the one who sounds like an idiot. The tablet market has made companies like Gung Ho tons of money. Who were then able to sell thier little Puzzle and Dragons 3DS game to huge numbers. All thanks to the exposure thier little ios game got.

Having some games on tablets and whatnot is only going to make Nintendo money and expose them to an audience who is growing up playing games on tablets/phones and not gameboys or DSes.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't know. On the one hand, tablets are probably the future, especially for family or casual audiences. It just doesn't make a lot of sense anymore for a lot of people to spend a couple hundred bucks on a dedicated portable gaming device when they can just play on their phones. Sure, there will always be a niche of people who want a dedicated device with all the benefits that brings. But I think a company is going to be losing out if its only that niche that buys your product. Of course, all that said, the 3DS hasn't really even been the main problem for Nintendo as of yet. It hasn't exactly been the runaway success the DS and that probably is a sign of trouble on the horizon. But for the moment at least, it seems like a handheld system can still do pretty well. So, while phones and tablets are definitely something they'd be wise to factor into their long term plans, it doesn't really seem to address the real elephant in the room: The Wii U. I'm sorry to say that's what the family/casual audience has completely migrated away from. And given its struggles to appeal to more serious gamers (outside of the niche of diehard Nintendo fans) it's left them pretty high and dry. So yeah. While talking about tablets and phones is probably smart if you're Nintendo, it seems to me to be a little beside the point in terms of the current situation.
Jave

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:53 am Reply with quote
Not sure if comparin' free-to-play and .99 cent games success on the iPad and iPhone is really a good comparison to full price and full length games Laughing

Most games I see that try to be more than 'flick this' or 'tap that' on those devices end up being horrible because of the controls. Can't imagine playing Zelda or Monster Hunter on an iPhone very well. Tactile controls will always win out so I think handhelds are safe since they appeal to different markets.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:28 am Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
Most games I see that try to be more than 'flick this' or 'tap that' on those devices end up being horrible because of the controls. Can't imagine playing Zelda or Monster Hunter on an iPhone very well. Tactile controls will always win out so I think handhelds are safe since they appeal to different markets.

That's...pretty much what I said. There's always going to be a market for handhelds from more serious gamers. But a huge chunk of the gaming market, especially for handhelds, has always been little kids or casual players. You're right that they're different markets now. But that's kinda the problem. Handhelds used to appeal to both. Now they primarily only appeal to one group. There's still enough of a market for them to do okay but companies are leaving a huge market behind by failing to offer something that competes with smart phones as well.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:46 am Reply with quote
Jave wrote:

Use a controller for mobile.
Actually, ironically enough, we've been using Nintendo Wii wireless controllers to play emulators on Android. Smile

Mobile devices will only get more powerful rather quickly. The intense competition of many rivals in that arena means technology moves fast and never static. Heck, even Intel CPUs have already joined in. They can already play PS1-level games. They'll catch up sooner than later.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:16 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
There's always going to be a market for handhelds from more serious gamers. But a huge chunk of the gaming market, especially for handhelds, has always been little kids or casual players. You're right that they're different markets now. But that's kinda the problem. Handhelds used to appeal to both. Now they primarily only appeal to one group. There's still enough of a market for them to do okay but companies are leaving a huge market behind by failing to offer something that competes with smart phones as well

Is there some kind of problem with video games being targeted primarily at video game fans?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:32 am Reply with quote
Nintendo's problem is they want their own proprietary device to play games, so that they don't have to do profit-sharing for their games. Of course, that's the kind of short-term thinking which screwed them out of their own Playstation-type device. But, if they're still insistent on going that route, they should just design their own smartphone and/or tablet, and the problem's solved.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3