• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo to Offer New Game Consoles for Emerging Markets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:47 am Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
There's always going to be a market for handhelds from more serious gamers. But a huge chunk of the gaming market, especially for handhelds, has always been little kids or casual players. You're right that they're different markets now. But that's kinda the problem. Handhelds used to appeal to both. Now they primarily only appeal to one group. There's still enough of a market for them to do okay but companies are leaving a huge market behind by failing to offer something that competes with smart phones as well

Is there some kind of problem with video games being targeted primarily at video game fans?

Well personally, I consider anyone who plays video games to be a "video game fan". Which obviously both children and casual players do. They may not play in the same way you do but that doesn't make them not video game fans. Besides, regardless of whatever dismissive way you choose to categorize these people, the fact remains that they do play games which makes them a huge market. And is there some kind of problem with video games being targeted primarily at only one type of game player while ignoring a couple huge other markets for games? Well yeah. Kinda. Especially if your company is currently losing money hand over fist. Mind you, I'll reiterate here that I do think there's certainly still enough demand for handheld consoles that Nintendo can do okay. Which is basically what Nintendo has been doing with the 3DS (if not the Wii U sadly). But obviously they want to do better than just okay. They want to excel like they did with the Wii and the DS. And if they want to do that then they need to start appealing more to some of those other markets you're so quick to dismiss. Especially children. I guess I'm somewhat ambivalent about the degree to which Nintendo should chase the adult casual crowd. I mean, it might be the difference between Wii levels of success and just reasonable success, but maybe that is okay. Nintendo did get by just fine for ages before casual gaming really became a thing. And there is something to be said for knowing your audience.

But they need to get more children back on board. Kids are what made Nintendo. All their previous handhelds sure as hell didn't sell...whatever ridiculous number of units they moved in the end just by catering to serious "video game fans" as you call them. It sold like crazy to a family audience. It's not just a short term thing either. I mean, how many of those hardcore fans that you apparently want Nintendo to focus on exist because, as kids, they got hooked? I'm gonna say most if not virtually all of them. Sure, Nintendo makes great games and gives people a reason to stick around. But a huge selling point for them has always been appeal to their lifelong fans who grew up playing their games. Yet, a surprising number of little kids these days aren't growing up playing Nintendo games. They don't know Pokemon or Mario. They know the angry birds and the plants and the zombies. Because that's what they play. Because, of course, why would their parent drop a couple hundred bucks on a gameboy for them when they can just let em play games on their iPhone? That's the new reality or at least it's the direction we're heading. We're not too bad off yet. But at the very least it has seriously split the market. It's a far cry from when the only way for your kid to play video games was on a console.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3