Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Cross Game


Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Maidenoftheredhand



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 2583
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:03 am Reply with quote
Well at least we have the manga. It was probably the last manga license announcement I got excited for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bonham



Joined: 20 Nov 2010
Posts: 406
Location: Queens, New York
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
U.S. has too many high schools and too vast a country to regularly get everyone together for national tournaments. So while there are definitely HS sports fevers everywhere, they stay local within nearby rivalries.

Yep, and the bolded in particular is why it's so difficult. Compared to Japan, it would be harder for someone in Maine or Vermont to compare about what a local high school in Louisiana or Idaho is doing, and vice-versa.

John Thacker wrote:
You also should definitely watch it and/or buy the manga if you're interested in any other Adachi stuff or similar coming over. But really you should watch it because it's a fantastic adaption of a fantastic work.

I've already bought Viz's entire release of the manga and have recommended it to people, but your praise for the anime is encouraging. Might check it out!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
partysmores



Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 284
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Cross Game is one of my favorite manga, and I especially love the binding on Viz's version; it just feels so nice on my hands. Recommended highly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Maidenoftheredhand



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 2583
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
U.S. has too many high schools and too vast a country to regularly get everyone together for national tournaments. So while there are definitely HS sports fevers everywhere, they stay local within nearby rivalries.

Yep, and the bolded in particular is why it's so difficult. Compared to Japan, it would be harder for someone in Maine or Vermont to compare about what a local high school in Louisiana or Idaho is doing, and vice-versa.


But the thing is even in Japan the tournament starts locally and grows nationally.

Not every High School competes on the National level, you are narrowed down first on the local level. And in fact most baseball anime usually focus on that local level.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bonham



Joined: 20 Nov 2010
Posts: 406
Location: Queens, New York
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
But the thing is even in Japan the tournament starts locally and grows nationally.

Not every High School competes on the National level, you are narrowed down first on the local level. And in fact most baseball anime usually focus on that local level.

Well yeah, but even then the recognition of the competition on a national level isn't the same for that competition. Hell, schools that would put out Division I talent in the U.S. may not be recognized outside of sports nerds that follow such thing. While it's not the only reason, part of that is because there simply are a LOT of high schools, which relates to how enormous the U.S. is compared to many countries in the world, including Japan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 14091
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:25 am Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
But the thing is even in Japan the tournament starts locally and grows nationally.

Not every High School competes on the National level, you are narrowed down first on the local level. And in fact most baseball anime usually focus on that local level.

Well yeah, but even then the recognition of the competition on a national level isn't the same for that competition. Hell, schools that would put out Division I talent in the U.S. may not be recognized outside of sports nerds that follow such thing. While it's not the only reason, part of that is because there simply are a LOT of high schools, which relates to how enormous the U.S. is compared to many countries in the world, including Japan.


Japan has about 5,000+ upper secondary schools.

US has 30,000+ public secondary schools and 11,000+ private secondary schools.
http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d12/tables/dt12_098.asp

How many games can they play?
Regular season, county, state sectionals, states, national regionals, nationals.
How many schools can afford all that travel, how far they travel?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
here-and-faraway



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 1509
Location: Sunny California
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
I bought the series for a great price during a 12+ Days of Christmas sale at Rightstuf. I read the first book, loved it, and then, for some reason never continued. (I have the weird habit of dropping titles, even when I enjoy them. I need to work on that...) I will take this article as a sign and give it another shot. I really do enjoy Adachi's subtle storytelling style.

Thanks for the review!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
invalidname
Contributor



Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Posts: 2207
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
I really wish I could buy the Cross Game anime. It is one of my all time favorite anime and it really does the manga justice. I don't understand why Vis won't but it on DVD :(

Probably because sports anime don't sell very well in the English-language market.

The other problem with some of these Viz titles is that the only way to legally see them is on Hulu, making it impossible to watch without a butt-load of commercials. And, if you don't want to watch on your PC, then it's a butt-load of commercials plus $7 a month.

Even if they think the market for Cross Game is too small to manufacture disks, it's a shame they don't offer it download-to-own on iTunes / Amazon / Google Play.

Mike Toole tweeted surprise a few weeks back when the seemingly more mainstream-friendly Tiger and Bunny movie drew a smaller crowd than Anohana, in the same theater. My guess is that Viz's Hulu-centric digital distribution policy is really holding back their properties (like T&B, and Cross Game)… it's too much of a hassle/expense for some to watch a Hulu-only show, when hundreds of other anime are perfectly good subsitutes. Note, by comparison, that Aniplex, NIS, and even Sentai (despite their close affiliation to Anime Network) put their stuff on free and mobile-friendly services like Crunchyroll, Daisuki, etc. (Funimation is the obvious exception to this, but they've got very good free/mobile viewing options of their own.)

Anyways, I love the Cross Game manga (despite not particularly caring for baseball… that's what's so impressive about it!), but doubt I'm going to get around to the anime anytime soon, unless Viz changes its ways.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kgw



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Posts: 707
Location: Spain, EU
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Baseball in my country is almost to non-existent. And still, I love Mitsuru Adachi mangas, Cross Game, H2, Touch...

If you don't like baseball, you can try boxing, running, swimming, samurais in *not* Edo Era Japan, "rental clubs"... anything.

As someone said, and I still resent it wasn't me, Adachi is one of those mangakas who can draw time passing by... and you would like it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
m0x



Joined: 20 Oct 2011
Posts: 37
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:08 am Reply with quote
I absolutely adore Cross Game. I think out of all the titles I've watched/read of all sorts of genres, Cross Game's the only one I've revisited more than three times. I'd go back to it again, actually, without hesitation.

I highly recommend the anime, by the way. Highly, highly, highly, highly, highly recommend it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group