• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney XD to Run Doraemon Anime in U.S. This Summer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Speaking of Disney, does anybody have the strange feeling that Doraemon has a lot of theme park potential for the company if the show becomes popular here in the States? I can see a time machine simulation ride at the Tomorrowland section of Tokyo Disneyland or Hong Kong Disneyland, or a Doraemon meet & greet at Epcot (as long as the Japanese rights holders give Disney permission to do this). I know I'm sounding hypothetical, but I can see Disney doing something like this if Doraemon gets popular in the US.

Except they won't, because showing a show on a network DOESN'T mean they own the character. (For the exact same reason Studio Ghibli walkaround characters haven't shown up at Epcot Japan.)
And to those who do grant permission, Disney wouldn't exactly have been the first one to ask.

And please, before we start picturing that ripoff Chinese park where pseudo-Doraemon posed with pseudo-Mickey... Wink
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:
Speaking of Disney, does anybody have the strange feeling that Doraemon has a lot of theme park potential for the company if the show becomes popular here in the States? I can see a time machine simulation ride at the Tomorrowland section of Tokyo Disneyland or Hong Kong Disneyland, or a Doraemon meet & greet at Epcot (as long as the Japanese rights holders give Disney permission to do this). I know I'm sounding hypothetical, but I can see Disney doing something like this if Doraemon gets popular in the US.

Except they won't, because showing a show on a network DOESN'T mean they own the character. (For the exact same reason Studio Ghibli walkaround characters haven't shown up at Epcot Japan.)
And to those who do grant permission, Disney wouldn't exactly have been the first one to ask.

And please, before we start picturing that ripoff Chinese park where pseudo-Doraemon posed with pseudo-Mickey... Wink

I gotta disagree with you there. Remember how the Indiana Jones and Star Wars attractions managed to be opened with permission by Lucasfilm (and this was long before Disney bought them in 2012)?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
CastMember1991 wrote:

I gotta disagree with you there.

(sigh...Yes, I'm sure you've "got" to. Rolling Eyes )

Quote:
Remember how the Indiana Jones and Star Wars attractions managed to be opened with permission by Lucasfilm (and this was long before Disney bought them in 2012)?

Yes, I remember how they worked with Lucas personally, during the late 80's/early 90's when the park was worried about not having any recent successful new franchises to develop, and the Studios park was reduced to promoting Roger Rabbit and the Ninja Turtles as popular icons.

As for going to Japan, OTOH, and saying "Can we buy out your most beloved best-known cultural iconic character for almost 45 years, that you're already grooming as a major tourism/Olympics mascot, to profit off of?...Oh, and keep the price low, we're just introducing the character as something off of our cable channel."

....You could buy Totoro cheaper.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Yes, I remember how they worked with Lucas personally.

That's exactly what I envision them doing while working on a potential Doraemon attraction for Disney Parks, partnering with the franchise's Japanese rights holders like how they worked with Lucas personally.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:20 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
Yes, I remember how they worked with Lucas personally.

That's exactly what I envision them working on a potential Doraemon attraction for Disney Parks, in partnership with the franchise's Japanese rights holders.

I know you do. And please, look at me very carefully:
IT...IS NOT...GOING...TO HAPPEN.

And don't think they haven't freakin' tried.
If you wonder why their plans to do a Godzilla-based sim ride--for "cultural value", mind you--when Epcot first opened didn't go through, the answer was one big fat four-letter word starting with "T" and ending with "O".
And now you want them to go toe-to-toe with Fujiko, just because Viz sold them a cable-licensing deal that hadn't gone through in twelve years? Please go sell that idea to the Imagineers, I want to see them throw you out bodily. I'll even bring my iPad.

(Please--At this point, I literally BEG of you:
I also frequent the Disney fan boards, and on more than one occasion in the last few weeks have felt myself just one step away from strangling the next fanboy/CM-wannabe who has his idea for a "Frozen dark ride".
Let the Imagineers do the jobs they're paid for, because believe me, it's not the only thing the studio is paying for.)
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
If you wonder why their plans to do a Godzilla-based sim ride--for "cultural value", mind you--when Epcot first opened didn't go through, the answer was one big fat four-letter word starting with "T" and ending with "O".

Toho, that's who you're mentioning. They own the rights to the Doraemon movies as well.

EricJ2 wrote:
Please go sell that idea to the Imagineers, I want to see them throw you out bodily. I'll even bring my iPad.

Has Disney Imagineering done that to their employees before?

EricJ2 wrote:
I also frequent the Disney fan boards, and on more than one occasion in the last few weeks have felt myself just one step away from strangling the next fanboy/CM-wannabe who has his idea for a "Frozen dark ride".
Let the Imagineers do the jobs they're paid for, because believe me, it's not the only thing the studio is paying for.

I'm not trying to be some idiotic fanboy though (I too hate those world-class idiots with a FREAKING PASSION!!!), I just have an optimistic mindset. Walt Disney also thought up some pretty risky stuff himself, and his brother thought he was crazy, just like you're thinking I'm crazy. I too was a Disney cast member myself. I worked for the Disney College Program in 2012, working at Hollywood Studios in Florida. Speaking of a Frozen dark ride, I have never thought of anything like that before. A dark ride wouldn't work, the meet and greet with Elsa and Anna is just fine.

Last edited by CastMember1991 on Sat May 10, 2014 10:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

Toho, that's who you're mentioning. They own the rights to the Doraemon movies as well.

And even if that remotely had anything to do with character ownership (which they don't), well, that would be another reason why it would be unlikely, then, wouldn't it?

(Oh, and Toho also wouldn't let Disney license the Godzilla Roar for Monsters Inc., so the 400 ft. dinosaur that Sully says hi to in the movie has to sound like a chicken...)

Quote:
EricJ2 wrote:
Please go sell that idea to the Imagineers, I want to see them throw you out bodily. I'll even bring my iPad.

Has Disney Imagineering done that to their employees before?

We can hope, there's always a first time. Razz
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:57 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
And even if that remotely had anything to do with character ownership (which they don't), well, that would be another reason why it would be unlikely, then, wouldn't it?

(Oh, and Toho also wouldn't let Disney license the Godzilla Roar for Monsters Inc., so the 400 ft. dinosaur that Sully says hi to in the movie has to sound like a chicken...)

That's because Toho act like Nazis. They won't let any theme park operator touch Godzilla, which I think is ridiculous. C'mon, they're doing a new movie, why can't Toho do a theme park attraction based on the character? It just doesn't make sense to me.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:16 am Reply with quote
Let's be honest. Even if those episodes were released completely uncut, you're not going to see them all, because there are so effing many. Hell, I don't think most native Japanese viewers have seen all of Doraemon.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Hell, I don't think most native Japanese viewers have seen all of Doraemon.

No surprise there since it has so many episodes. Same deal with Pokémon right now. I watched it a lot as a kid, and now it has so many episodes that I don't think anybody has seen all of Pokémon either.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
GATSU wrote:

No surprise there since it has so many episodes. Same deal with Pokémon right now. I watched it a lot as a kid, and now it has so many episodes that I don't think anybody has seen all of Pokémon either.

The purpose of shows like those (not to mention Crayon Shin-chan, Sazae-san and Chibi Maruko-chan) is that viewers could come in and out when they want, and because they last as long as they do (decades in this case), there's always a generation that comes and goes as they grow with the series (reasons why Sesame Street managed to last as long as they do).
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:
GATSU wrote:

The purpose of shows like those (not to mention Crayon Shin-chan, Sazae-san and Chibi Maruko-chan) is that viewers could come in and out when they want, and because they last as long as they do (decades in this case), there's always a generation that comes and goes as they grow with the series (reasons why Sesame Street managed to last as long as they do).

That's a great point! Rugrats was close to becoming one of these, but ended up getting cancelled in 2004. SpongeBob SquarePants, which airs on the same network as Rugrats, ended up becoming just that.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
As far as I can remember, every time a Japanese company handles the localization for the US themselves, they always tend to be way more conservative than American companies. Really, since Disney's just going to be airing it on a cable network, they should've been allowed to make calls in line with that, rather than having the licensors edited it to fit broadcast standards that just don't apply.

@StudioToledo:

The real secret to Sesame Street's success is the merch. The network's not going to care as much if they're not footing the bill(then add in its cultural icon status and you'd have more people willing to reposes a church than pull it).
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:
Which voice actor?

Brian Beacock of Digimon and Danganronpa fame. He mentions Doraemon about 20 minutes in if you are interested.

http://918thefan.com/2014/kanas-korner-interview-with-brian-beacock-2/

He's playing Sneech in the new dub.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:

Well you'd be wrong then considering I have literally all the episodes, OVAs, and movies on my secondary HDD Laughing Same with Detective Conan, One Piece, Naruto, and plenty of other long running shows. You're really underestimating fans if you think they have such a low attention span they lose interest after 26 episodes. Plenty of people have seen these shows in their entirety and wont stop until they're dead.

Doraemon is even easier considering this is the 2005 series we're talking about. It hasn't even been on TV for a decade yet. If I can have watched all the episodes, then I'm sure for someone living in Japan it's even easier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9