• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney XD to Run Doraemon Anime in U.S. This Summer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:12 am Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
Well, there's no way this is going to end anyway but badly. May as well have Nickelodoen air Detective Conan while we're at it

bigivel wrote:
They are all "Shonen" magazines, meaning that their main target audience is teens from 13-18 years.

I'm not sure what warped definition you're using for shounen but the word specifically refers to pre-teen boys. Hardly some 13+ definition.

The argument that 'these aren't for kids because they're kodomo series' is ignorant because it hinges on the misconception that the two terms are mutually exclusive. The thing is both shounen and kodomo are for children. It's like trying to differentiate between toddler and prepubescent. You can make a case for the differences and technicalities, but at the end of the day they're both children. People can argue cross demographics and appeal all they want, but it doesn't change the fact these anime specific mention they're for children all the time in the shows themselves and all the merchandise and promotional stuff they get are for kids.
Also "shounen" literally means "boy" which would imply it's exclusively for boys which it clearly isn't.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:13 am Reply with quote
Here's who I think the cast should be...

Doraemon - Tom Kenny or Charlie Adler

Nobita (Noby) - Davis Cleveland (Flynn from Shake It Up)

Noby's Mom - Barbara Goodson

Noby's Dad - Steve Blum

Gian (Big G) - Johnny Yong Bosch

Suneo (Sneech) - Vic Mignogna

Shizuka - Rowan Blanchard (Cory Matthews' daughter, Riley, in the new Boy Meets World sequel)

Last edited by CastMember1991 on Fri May 09, 2014 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kutsu

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:50 am Reply with quote
Ryuk25 wrote:
Great news! Longest running anime in japan finally getting some recognition in the USA.

Sazae-san says hi.

bigivel

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:04 am Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
Well, there's no way this is going to end anyway but badly. May as well have Nickelodoen air Detective Conan while we're at it

bigivel wrote:
They are all "Shonen" magazines, meaning that their main target audience is teens from 13-18 years.

I'm not sure what warped definition you're using for shounen but the word specifically refers to pre-teen boys. Hardly some 13+ definition.

The argument that 'these aren't for kids because they're kodomo series' is ignorant because it hinges on the misconception that the two terms are mutually exclusive. The thing is both shounen and kodomo are for children. It's like trying to differentiate between toddler and prepubescent. You can make a case for the differences and technicalities, but at the end of the day they're both children. People can argue cross demographics and appeal all they want, but it doesn't change the fact these anime specific mention they're for children all the time in the shows themselves and all the merchandise and promotional stuff they get are for kids.

My Father still calls me kid and I'm 25 years old now, so?
Teenagers are normally called kids by adults, but that doesn't mean there isn't any difference between Kodomo and Shonen. Is like you're saying that a kid that doesn't even know how to read very well is the same as a High school student that next year will enter university(or a student that just entered university).
And yes Shonen is for people 13-18. That clearly is only the target audience of the magazines, and not the actual people that read it, but if a shonen Magazine has an actual audience totally off, that Magazine probably should change his target audience.
Weekly Shonen Jump, is read by people younger than 9 years old but as well by people older than 30. Will you call it a magazine for kids, because of the -9 kids that read it? And a magazine for Adults, because of the +30 adults that read it? Of course not.
The Magazine actual audience is:
-9 = 2.6%
10 - 12 = 12.2%
13 - 15 = 21.3 %
16 - 18 = 16.3 %
19 - 24 = 23.1 %
25 - 29 = 11.3 %
+30 = 13.2%

Oh, the audience from -9 to 12 is only 13.8%, The Magazine must be totally off of his target audience. OR MAYBE NOT!

Here the source of the data Weekly Shonen Jump: http://adnavi.shueisha.co.jp/mediaguide/2014/pdf/boys.pdf

The loosely word Kid shouldn't be used as a describer of demographics because it as a to much wide and ambiguous use. If used, it should be in a more restricted way.
Kid can be a Baby, a preteen, a teenager, a young adult and even a person that is younger than the person talking. All of them are called kids. Is like there only exist to groups, Kids and Adults.
That is one of the reasons Comics are not that well seen in America and a lot of European countries, because of the prejudice they are just for "kids". So everybody runs away from them. The adults and even the kids that want to look/be more mature.

And no, demographic groups aren't mutually exclusive, they are independent. Meaning that their borders are separate and well limited, only that(We're talking of intervals not isolated events). There is no exclusion, only a separation. Meaning that one person can very well make a Kodomo + Shonen Magazine or even a Kodomo + Seinen Magazine or even Shonen + Shoujo Magazine. There is no exclusion in any way or form when talking in demographics. The fact that a magazine is only Kodomo, only Shonen or only Seinen makes is target audience be only Kodomo, Shonen or Seinen and nothing from the rest. Doraemon is from a Kodomo Magazine so is a manga for Kodomo. One Piece is from a Shonen Magazine so is a manga for Shonen(Note that Oda, creator of One Piece explicitly said in an interview that he makes each chapter of One Piece with kids of 14-15 years on his mind. He even said that when he ends a chapter if he doesn't think it will be enjoyable for 14 year kids, he will remake the entirety of the chapter.).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:24 am Reply with quote
Kodomo literally means "kid, child, or offspring". There is no gender identification in kodomo.

Adolescence is called "Joudai" Adolescent is "Joudai no". so there is a literal age boundary between a kodomo and a joudai-no.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:55 am Reply with quote
As Disney is going to market this to lower grade elementary school children, you can bet it will be edited to hell to fit the American version of that demographic.

Any and all adult content will be excised and massaged. That includes more than just sexual content and nudity. If any of the adults smoke cigarettes, that will be going bye bye.

Never watched Doraemon, so I don't know what type of content it has. But all you have to do is compare the Pokemon and Digimon American versions with the Japanese source material, to get an idea of how the Japanese Doraemon will be edit for content.

Guess the real question is just how well Disney will handle the continuity of the edits and (outside of the edits themselves) are they going to dumb the series down, as so many American cartoons are nowadays.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to it! Very Happy
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
How can anime fans in this day and age be looking forward to an edited version of a show? We like to complain when R1 companies censor releases of anime, but Disney gets a pass?

Have fun watching a bastardized version of Doraemon on Disney X D.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:09 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
How can anime fans in this day and age be looking forward to an edited version of a show? We like to complain when R1 companies censor releases of anime, but Disney gets a pass?

So, you want to see a seven year old girl naked?
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:10 am Reply with quote
Some of the comments on here are making it sound like CBBC has picked up High School DxD to show alongside Bob the Builder or McDonalds did a Senran Kagura promotion instead of a Mario one xD.

People also seem to be confusing localisation with censorship. Considering the target audience of Doraemon (which, moving away from the debates in this thread, can be pretty much summed as "not us"), it's common sense that parts of the series be adapted to fit more in line with an audience on the other side of the world with a completely different culture than the original.

I don't see the big deal anyway, unless the highlight of the show for you is seeing some slightly risqué scenes with Shizuka, in which case....yeeeeaaaaaaaah.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

No. I want to have Japanese names/terminology and cigarettes at least.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:21 am Reply with quote
I'm ecstatic that, after 41 years of airing in Japan [and other areas], Doraemon is finally going to be seen on American TV. However, with that excitement comes a bit of concern...
As expected, the show will end up going through some serious editing, meaning that any adult content featured in any episodes will be cut out. Even Japanese-related content within this show stands a good chance of being erased.

While I do find the fanservice removal an obligatory action for Doraemon to remain on air, I do find the name changes of the characters (minus Doraemon) and the gadgets to be a bit unnecessary. I can see how the eight-and-under part of the target demographic will be able to handle the excessive edits without a problem, but I'm not so sure how the kids 9-12 will react once they start finding out who "Noby" really is and the gadgets' actual names.

On another note, I'm not sure if this has been brought up here already, but the story of Doraemon is about to conclude with the upcoming movie of the show, Stand By Me.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
Some of the comments on here are making it sound like CBBC has picked up High School DxD to show alongside Bob the Builder or McDonalds did a Senran Kagura promotion instead of a Mario one xD.

People also seem to be confusing localisation with censorship. Considering the target audience of Doraemon (which, moving away from the debates in this thread, can be pretty much summed as "not us"), it's common sense that parts of the series be adapted to fit more in line with an audience on the other side of the world with a completely different culture than the original.

I don't see the big deal anyway, unless the highlight of the show for you is seeing some slightly risqué scenes with Shizuka, in which case....yeeeeaaaaaaaah.

They are going to be doing more than localization, which is understandable. Japanese elementary grade kids watch shows geared to them, that are considered more mature than what is shown to comparable American kids. So a lot of that more mature material will be edited out, of which nudity is only a small part of it.

Though one wonders if they are going to give it the Scrappy Doo treatment, or find other ways of dumbing it down for American kids.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Yeah, nice save there.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:38 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:

They are going to be doing more than localization, which is understandable. Japanese elementary grade kids watch shows geared to them, that are considered more mature than what is shown to comparable American kids. So a lot of that more mature material will be edited out, of which nudity is only a small part of it.

Though one wonders if they are going to give it the Scrappy Doo treatment, or find other ways of dumbing it down for American kids.

Localisation isn't just simple translation - it's about adapting the property to suit the target audience in the intended region as a whole; translating something into the native language is merely a single step. For the most part, anime geared towards older audiences have very little changes because we're expected to be of the age where we can understand that we are watching a foreign work and that there will be cultural differences. For kids though? You might be able to tell them that, but they probably won't understand it.

I admittedly haven't seen Doraemon (I'm not the target audience by a long shot xD) but some of the comments on here just strike me as the whole "Japanese animation is infinitely better than western animation because it's Japanese" vibe in regards to it being localised :/.

angelmcazares wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I'm personally a fan of keeping Japanese names (our world is very much a multicultural one after all), but personally, I would object to smoking being shown in a children's TV show. Smoking is an age-restricted thing and yes, while the argument can be made that some parents do smoke around their children, they shouldn't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9