• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney XD to Run Doraemon Anime in U.S. This Summer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:50 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
How can anime fans in this day and age be looking forward to an edited version of a show? We like to complain when R1 companies censor releases of anime, but Disney gets a pass?

Have fun watching a bastardized version of Doraemon on Disney X D.

So, you want to see a seven year old girl naked?

No. I want to have Japanese names/terminology and cigarettes at least.
Go watch it in Japan then. Simples.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:53 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
How can anime fans in this day and age be looking forward to an edited version of a show? We like to complain when R1 companies censor releases of anime, but Disney gets a pass?

Just as I suspected, a weeaboo. Don't you know FCC rules prevent Tobacco from appearing on kids' TV? If you want animated cartoons with cigarettes, watch the classic MGM cartoons on TCM or Boomerang.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
@Ryu Shoji

Didn't say localization is simply translation. Localization is making the material understandable and relatable to the intended audience.

Editing out what America considers more mature material does neither of the above things.

We already know how they reworked Sailor Moon and Pokemon. But since Disney says they are gearing Doraemon for the early elementary grade school kids, it makes one wonder just how far they are going to go and how good a job they are going to do.

Either way I am not going to be watching the Japanese Doraemon or the Disney Doraemon. But I do think that no matter what Disney does with it, it is good for our anime fiefdom in the long run. Fresh blood and all that.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
@Ryu Shoji

Didn't say localization is simply translation. Localization is making the material understandable and relatable to the intended audience.

Editing out what America considers more mature material does neither of the above things.

We already know how they reworked Sailor Moon and Pokemon. But since Disney says they are gearing Doraemon for the early elementary grade school kids, it makes one wonder just how far they are going to go and how good a job they are going to do.

Either way I am not going to be watching the Japanese Doraemon or the Disney Doraemon. But I do think that no matter what Disney does with it, it is good for our anime fiefdom in the long run. Fresh blood and all that.
I will bet the mortgage that when Disney gets done with it no pre-tween/tween will ever realise where it was originated from, nor in actuallity really care. It will be just another form of child care for parents wanting a bit of peace from the chaos. So I can't see how they will grow up to be "anime fans" anymore then any other cartoon that they see.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
@Ryu Shoji

I will bet the mortgage that when Disney gets done with it no pre-tween/tween will ever realise where it was originated from, nor in actuallity really care. It will be just another form of child care for parents wanting a bit of peace from the chaos. So I can't see how they will grow up to be "anime fans" anymore then any other cartoon that they see.

Perhaps you are right, as I never knew where Speed Racer or Battle of the Planets came from. But I did know they were different fare than what I typically received from normal cartoons. Unlike when I was growing up, kids today can find out quite quickly all about any cartoon series they watch and like.

Everyone is different, and no matter how haphazard a show is, if you grow up on it and loved it, it is your show. I always liked Robotech (despite its problems) more, than its source material.
IanRootBeerDubber

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
I remember reading somewhere that an English dub of the 1979 anime was made in Singapore.

Last edited by IanRootBeerDubber on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Perhaps you are right, as I never knew where Speed Racer or Battle of the Planets came from. But I did know they were different fare than what I typically received from normal cartoons. Unlike when I was growing up, kids today can find out quite quickly all about any cartoon series they watch and like.

Everyone is different, and no matter how haphazard a show is, if you grow up on it and loved it, it is your show. I always liked Robotech (despite its problems) more, than its source material.
Robotech was yet another USA slice and dice of the first Macross series that was butchered for an American diet of cartoons.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
@Ryu Shoji

Except editing material to make it more in line with what is appropriate for the audience is a part of localisation. To bring up the Dictionary.com definition of localisation:
Quote:

1. to make or become local in attitude, behaviour, etc

Mohawk52 wrote:
I will bet the mortgage that when Disney gets done with it no pre-tween/tween will ever realise where it was originated from, nor in actuallity really care.

^ This. The intended audience won't know, or care. Just like how I didn't with Pokémon as a kid, or my younger brother cared about the dubbed French kid shows that he watched when he was younger.[/quote]
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Same way anime fans in this day & age can whine & complain over every little thing done to A kids show not even aimed at them and they wouldn't even care about if it wasn't anime.

I mean it's not like the U.S is the only countery that changes content. Plenty of anime & toons have been altered for foreign markets over the decades. You may not like it, but that doesn't mean it's going to change anytime soon.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Just as I suspected, a weeaboo. Don't you know FCC rules prevent Tobacco from appearing on kids' TV? If you want animated cartoons with cigarettes, watch the classic MGM cartoons on TCM or Boomerang.

FCC only regulates over-the-air broadcasters. ABC is the only Disney-controlled network that falls under that purview. Cable and satellite networks like Disney XD (and Cartoon Network, for that matter) are governed by their own internal Standards and Practices departments.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Same way anime fans in this day & age can whine & complain over every little thing done to A kids show not even aimed at them and they wouldn't even care about if it wasn't anime.

I mean it's not like the U.S is the only countery that changes content. Plenty of anime & toons have been altered for foreign markets over the decades. You may not like it, but that doesn't mean it's going to change anytime soon.

You can blame the hatred towards 4Kids for that. When they still existed, older teenage and young adult otaku treated 4Kids with a hatred most anime dubbing companies had never witnessed from older fans; all because of them acquiring Shonen Jump's One Piece, which I personally thought was a tremendous mistake on their part.
bigivel

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

You can blame the hatred towards 4Kids for that. When they still existed, older teenage and young adult otaku treated 4Kids with a hatred most anime dubbing companies had never witnessed from older fans; all because of them acquiring Shonen Jump's One Piece, which I personally thought was a tremendous mistake on their part.

Well 4kids made a lot of mistakes, first they took an anime that wasn't even from their target audience age in Japan. If I remember well, at that time, 2004, One Piece was one of the anime that parents, Japanese parents!, didn't want their kids(elementary grade school kids) to watch. Mostly because of the violence(And it was like that for most of Shonen Jump anime).
Second, Not only it wasn't in Japan for "kids" but they still tried to localize for "kids" in America. It was obvious that it would be problematic.
Third, adding the horrible work that they did with the localization, it made it tons of times worse.

With Doraemon at least one of the problems certainly isn't there, the target audience in Japan, that is the same as the one pretended in America. Now the only two possible problems are the localization for "kids" in America and the quality of that localization.
The localization for American "kids" probably will not be a problem. Most of the stuff in Doraemon is inoffensive, even by the American standards.
The quality of what they do localize is the cause of most concern, but I don't believe is possible to do a worst job than what 4kids did, and a lot of kids still liked 4kids(didn't they?). Kids don't really notice nor care about that stuff.
All that into account I believe it will be a good "adaption".
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

(Well, yeah, but the new '13 reboot won't show her in the bath, darn it! Mad
Bring back the old 70's show, where you couldn't keep Shizuka OUT of the tub!)

Quote:
Suneo (Sneech)

I like that. Smile

Mohawk52 wrote:

Nobita's 70's-designed Tokyo neighborhood LOOKS like any US street in the 50's.
School, girls in dresses playing jumprope, housewife moms, policemen on the corner, baseball games in vacant lots...All that's missing is the Vince Guaraldi music.

Since, like the original, it's aimed for the preschool Disney Junior market, I don't suspect they'll catch on it's "anime" as much as our older generation did with Robotech, but at the very least they'll recognize the cultural icon is a cat and is an actual lovable character, not just some nameless imported Hello Kitty icon. And even then should do better than Hello Kitty did as a network US Saturday morning character in the 80's.
Besides, they're lucky, I had to learn from imported bootleg Malaysian English-dub VCD's. (Where Nobita was named "Spanky", and Doraemon in English sounded oddly like Herve Villechaize.)
Mee Deggi The Punisher

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Just as I suspected, a weeaboo.

... Really?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Again, if you're all going to complain about edits, do it to FujiPro, not Disney. They wanted Doraemon in America that badly, and to reach that demo that badly, that they were willing to change it up to suit our "tastes". Anyway, just be glad it's not 4Kids. Also, Matt Alt is still translating the manga uncut for Kindle, so you can have a "legit" version to enjoy. Oh, and Doraemon is still intended for little children in Japan, so do you do not get to pull that, "How dare they dumb it down for little children in America!" card on this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9