• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney XD to Run Doraemon Anime in U.S. This Summer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
I watched a few episodes of TMNT in Japanese for kicks. Think I like those voices better since they sound more like teenagers Laughing The 4Kids series performed poorly when it aired in Japan back in the day, maybe this new cartoon will do better?
My understanding is that the Japanese really like the original series and didn't care for the 4Kids one that was closer to the comics and a lot darker. I imagine how well it'll be received depends on which end of the spectrum it falls.
RokugoPeachMoon

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the level of apology and excuse-making in this thread for this "localization" is just incredible. I guess certain fans will endlessly defend whatever "chopped and screwed" job that is performed on these kinds of shows, as long as it fulfills their unobtainable dream of "getting the next generation to come into anime like they did".........

Definitely won't be watching this.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Woah, 6 pages of "discussion", and I doubt any of us would even bother to watch the 1st ep.

I'm wondering how many of those saying "Disney/4Kids/NA licensing/localization is evil", and/or "They're selling it to kids, and not letting them view the mature artistic grittiness they need to see!" even WATCHED the first Japanese episode, 00's or 70's.
There's the dull, bland flavor of "Generic argument" leaving its aftertaste in the protest posts, and I need to wash out my palate with a flavorful dose of YouTube.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
As I said Japan very rarely do it. The fact you are naming examples from 20 years ago shows how much you have to dig around to find examples of it. Japan does not do it anywhere near to the extent America does. Those are isolated cases where as in America it is the standard practice to shelter children from the evil influences of foreign cultures.
I know it's your agenda to tell us how bad everything not Japan is, but it really has less to do with sheltering kids and more to do with making money. Hard to believe anyone would think American cartoons which have a huge history of being very liberal and showing other cultures, would actually try to shelter kids other cultures. The thought is that kids won't watch something they won't understand. It's not even a crazy idea.

Also these things are approved and pushed by the Japanese side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
It's a children's show in Japan, so there's no reason for it to be on Adult Swim. Though I think it'd work better on Nick. Either way, it's probably an ego thing for the JP licensors to say that they "conquered" the Disney audience with Doraemon.

That's all I see here really. While it's a shame to see the changes as they'll be over here, it's nice we're getting it at all, though I son't suppose we'll see Pokemon-levels of promotion that'll back it up (since I feel that would be the only way to do it effectively).

Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
"Big G,

looool

Don't suppose Suneo will be called "Little O" here, though really those over the age of 45 will get that.

GATSU wrote:
hojo:
Quote:
kids in Japan are use to seeing nude kids in the bath in what not but in the usa yea no.

No one's complained about it in Totoro so far. But if the Japanese choose to edit it for our standards, then that's their problem. They clearly don't need the money, so, again, it probably comes down to being able to brag that Doraemon is also "popular in America with Disney fans".

It's all credentials really in the end. This'll be like the GAGA Communications of our time.

The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
A few questions: Is it going to be a best of sort of thing? Which series are they going with? Is the 26 episodes a test to see if it could be longer or is that it? Regardless, I'm curious to see how this pans out. It's nice to at least finally see some sort of release for this series over here.

It'll probably be the 2005 series going by how this'll be done (and certainly wouldn't appear as dated if they started back with the '79 show).

CastMember1991 wrote:
A friend of mine gave me this link, and it's been confirmed that Viz Media is one of the licensors as well. They've owned the rights to the show for a long time.
http://licensing14.mapyourshow.com/5_0/exhibitor_details.cfm?exhid=12699&CFID=36365735&CFTOKEN=aec74be628e68047-E8748238-C778-32EC-687CB555182920BF

At least VIZ finally gets to do something with it after all.

Mohawk52 wrote:
After nearly 41 years the blue robot cat finally leaves Japanese shores?

Not really, Italy beat us to that 32 years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQgdJn8JcMA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X23WINBFTg

Quote:
However I question putting it on Anime hyper as isn't that channel suppose to be for teens and young adults? this is more the preschool to tween crowds.

As someone mentioned earlier, this does need to be on Nickelodeon really, but I suppose they could get what they can take.

Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
Well, there's no way this is going to end anyway but badly. May as well have Nickelodoen air Detective Conan while we're at it

Hell Nick had their chance back in the 80's I say. Cable TV was not as screamish over that stuff as they are now since more eyeballs are watching it.

CastMember1991 wrote:
And you may remember how this wasn't the first attempt to bring Doraemon to the States. Ted Turner bought the rights to air 50 episodes of the 1979 show, and planned to air them on what is now TBS (veryfunny) that same year. But, as you would have guessed, it got cancelled without explanation before it even aired.

Technically it was called "WTBS" at the time it was technically an Atlanta TV station that was being transmitted via satellite as a "SuperStation" but I suppose that fact is glossed over much these days and people forgot what it was like to see anything outside The Big Three and locally in those days.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsNkUgSb3YE&t=1m20s
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
However I question putting it on Anime hyper as isn't that channel suppose to be for teens and young adults? this is more the preschool to tween crowds.

As someone mentioned earlier, this does need to be on Nickelodeon really, but I suppose they could get what they can take.

Also, Mickey, Sofia, Jake, and Doc McStuffins are making more money for the channel in the mornings than Tron or the Hulk are in the afternoons--Guess you don't get up early.

(And does Nick even SHOW cartoons anymore? Thought they switched over to teen stars to imitate the Disney Channel, after the DC switched over to teen stars to imitate Nickelodeon.)
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:03 am Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Yeah, that'll pass by the censors', no problem. Laughing

There's another, which the new one adapted as well, which is the "Dictator Switch/Button". Basically, it's a gadget Doraemon gives Nobita, in which he can completely erase someone from existence by simply pressing the switch. It was almost as if they never even existed in the first place!

The creepy thing about the episode is the usage of nazi imagery, so it's quite clear what it is a reference to. I suspect the episode might air, but it's going to be heavily altered to remove any references to that. I suspect the name of the gadget will also be renamed as well.

jr0904 wrote:

And after how diastrous naruto shippuden was, i am kinda surprised their even touching any anime that isnt extremely kid friendly like beyblade or digimon.

I take it you have not seen the second part of Digimon Xros Wars... I'll leave this lovely image, here. And yes, she's on screen a lot...

If disney xd had the license her appearance would have been edited somewhat to ensure that those parental advocates & FCC wont go berserk.

Not to mentioned that their standards and practices would probably demand her appearance to be slightly edited. however its been licensed by nick and showing on nicktoons and considering their showing the considering their showing DB GT,they kept mervamon like that considering they edited everything else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote
Color me pleasantly surprised at hearing this. The name changes and editing are both annoying to hear about, but to see a legit release of Doraemon in the U.S. is pretty awesome all the same.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:11 am Reply with quote
Jave wrote:

Yeah it's pretty unheard of in Japan for them to do that kind of stuff. They generally keep things the same culture-wise.

For Western stuff at least, since Western culture is the familiar lingua franca of the world.

Jave wrote:

I watched a few episodes of TMNT in Japanese for kicks. Think I like those voices better since they sound more like teenagers

They sound like American teenagers as originally intended. American teenagers tend to grow up fast, moustache and beards and all. Part of it is that American teens tend to want to be treated older than their age e.g. "men among boys," "not a girl but sexy woman," etc. So they don't want to sound younger but rather older.

StudioToledo wrote:

Well, there's no way this is going to end anyway but badly. May as well have Nickelodoen air Detective Conan while we're at it

Hell Nick had their chance back in the 80's I say. Cable TV was not as screamish over that stuff as they are now since more eyeballs are watching it.

Nick got away with so much back then, anime or otherwise. The Little Prince, Maya the Bee, The Littl' Bits, Grimm's Fairy Tales, Mysterious Cities of Gold, etc. Among others like Ren & Stimpy, David the Gnome, Doug, Rocko's Modern Life, Tintin, etc.

Anyways, it's not like many of us here would follow Doreamon even if it's adapted rather faithfully since many of us here don't already follow the original now. We're too busy with a ton of other shows for that.
RokugoPeachMoon

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:39 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

I'm wondering how many of those saying "Disney/4Kids/NA licensing/localization is evil", and/or "They're selling it to kids, and not letting them view the mature artistic grittiness they need to see!" even WATCHED the first Japanese episode, 00's or 70's.
There's the dull, bland flavor of "Generic argument" leaving its aftertaste in the protest posts, and I need to wash out my palate with a flavorful dose of YouTube.

Considering how you are defending 4kids' actions (which is nothing short of ridiculous), I wonder if YOU have actually WATCHED their "work".
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
RokugoPeachMoon wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

Considering how you are defending 4kids' actions (which is nothing short of ridiculous), I wonder if YOU have actually WATCHED their "work".

Ah. I missed the part in the article where they say 4Kids would be dubbing the Doraemon episodes, you see.
It rather left me with the vague and possibly faulty impression they WEREN'T. Rolling Eyes
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Also, Mickey, Sofia, Jake, and Doc McStuffins are making more money for the channel in the mornings than Tron or the Hulk are in the afternoons--Guess you don't get up early.

It's wise that I don't actually. I'm too old for this crap.

Quote:
(And does Nick even SHOW cartoons anymore? Thought they switched over to teen stars to imitate the Disney Channel, after the DC switched over to teen stars to imitate Nickelodeon.)

Well they still have Spongebob to tote around as they please.

enurtsol wrote:
Jave wrote:

Yeah it's pretty unheard of in Japan for them to do that kind of stuff. They generally keep things the same culture-wise.

For Western stuff at least, since Western culture is the familiar lingua franca of the world.

At least in the Americas and Europe it seems, the Middle East will always be iffy.

Quote:
StudioToledo wrote:

Nick got away with so much back then, anime or otherwise. The Little Prince, Maya the Bee, The Littl' Bits, Grimm's Fairy Tales, Mysterious Cities of Gold, etc. Among others like Ren & Stimpy, David the Gnome, Doug, Rocko's Modern Life, Tintin, etc.

Face it, we had it best with what we could get, even Pat Robertson didn't mind having giant robots on his channel.

Quote:
Anyways, it's not like many of us here would follow Doreamon even if it's adapted rather faithfully since many of us here don't already follow the original now. We're too busy with a ton of other shows for that.

Or my age where we stopped caring long enough.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Disney, does anybody have the strange feeling that Doraemon has a lot of theme park potential for the company if the show becomes popular here in the States? I can see a time machine simulation ride at the Tomorrowland section of Tokyo Disneyland or Hong Kong Disneyland, or a Doraemon meet & greet at Epcot (as long as the Japanese rights holders give Disney permission to do this). I know I'm sounding hypothetical, but I can see Disney doing something like this if Doraemon gets popular in the US.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Speaking of Disney, does anybody have the strange feeling that Doraemon has a lot of theme park potential for the company if the show becomes popular here in the States? I can see a time machine simulation ride at the Tomorrowland section of Tokyo Disneyland or Hong Kong Disneyland, or a Doraemon meet & greet at Epcot (as long as the Japanese rights holders give Disney permission to do this). I know I'm sounding hypothetical, but I can see Disney doing something like this if Doraemon gets popular in the US.

It wouldn't surprise me if it happens at all (assuming there is a marketing push behind it in case the show catches on).
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
As a former Disney cast member myself, working as a custodian at Disney's Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World as part of their college program (hence the name, CastMember1991), I'd love to see this happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9