• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote

Part 1 - Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV)
Part 2 - Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV 2)

Genres: action, drama, magic, psychological, supernatural
Themes: legendary warriors, mythology, school, spirits, survival game, tragedy

Plot Summary: Ten years ago, the magus Kiritsugu Emiya saved one lone survivor of a great disaster. As he cried in happiness, he proclaimed that by saving him, he had saved himself. The boy swore then that he would become a hero who lived to save others. Five years after the death of his foster father, Shirō Emiya finds himself drawn into a battle to the death between seven magi called Masters, where each commands the spirit of a hero of legend called a Servant in pursuit of having one wish granted by the legendary Holy Grail. In this battle, Shirō will finally have the chance to face the ghosts of his past, and to find his path to face his dreams and his future. Through the power of the Holy Grail, his wish will finally come true, for a hero of justice must have an evil to defeat.

Available on Crunchyroll.
----------------------------------

I've seen FSN a few years ago back and it was okay/meh for me on some parts but in the end wasn't something that strike me hard as incredibly memorable. Then, came the prequel F/Z that aired in Fall of 2011 with the second half that concluded in Spring of 2012. I thought both halves were incredibly well done with the characters, story, and themes. There was also clash of ideologies in some of the episodes especially with the servants and masters. A few of the dialogues were incredibly entertaining as well from both halves. I still re-watch some of the scenes and episodes on occasions. And also can't forget about that glorious OST!

Still, I didn't think FSN would get a remake until the news came last year. Some other sites have posted the news throughout the past few months including very recently. Yet, I have great hopes for this remake especially with ufotable in charge. Takahiro Miura will be directing the series. I think his previous experience was with Kara no Kyoukai 6: Boukyaku Rokuon that debuted in 2008. Anyways, as a fan of the Type-Moon franchise, I am very excited to see how this will go. I have to also mention that the animation so far is absolutely amazing. I'm also liking that cast so far tbh. Looks wonderful Smile Anyone else looking forward to this? I'm really looking forward to it.

Last edited by Stark700 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm apparently one of the few who think the Studio DEEN animes were just fine. Fate/Zero was good over all, but they dropped the ball at the end game. Definitely check out the novels. Check out the visual novel while you're at it too.

I'm glad this will be an original route instead of a re-do of the Fate route, since that would be completely unecessary. They should be doing Heaven's Feel, though, but they refuse to adapt the best route for some unknown reason.

Saber's obviously going to be the main heroine again, so I just hope Sakura gets some kind of major role.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
Whoa! I heard the rumors, but I didn't think there would actually be a remake. I liked the end of the original F/SN, but man I found Shirou near intolerable for most of the show with his chauvinistic piggy tendencies. I hope he gets a personality upgrade in this one. Rin and Saber really made the show for me. There were some characters that needed more fleshing out, hopefully this time around they will get expanded on a little more. Oh, wait just clicked on that youtube preview that Stark700 linked to and my hopes have gotten dashed a bit. Are they going to have the goofy teacher for comedy relief again? <groan>
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:16 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
They should be doing Heaven's Feel, though, but they refuse to adapt the best route for some unknown reason.

I’m in total agreement with you that Heaven’s Feel is the best of the three routes; in fact, I don’t think the other two routes even come close to it. That being said, I think having to slog through Shirou’s childish BS in Fate and Unlimited Blade Works is what really makes Heaven’s Feel so great. So in that sense, I can see why they haven’t elected to animate Heaven’s Feel yet. Perhaps they will if this remake is a big hit?

Quote:
Saber's obviously going to be the main heroine again, so I just hope Sakura gets some kind of major role.

Sadly, Sakura isn’t very popular with Japanese otaku. Hmm… I wonder why that is?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:
Sadly, Sakura isn’t very popular with Japanese otaku. Hmm… I wonder why that is?

If I recall, Fujino and Kohaku were never that popular either. I guess Japan doesn't like Type Moon staple spoiler["damaged goods"] characters.

But I heard Sakura's popularity had increased a bit recently. I mean, they even made her a main heroine in Fate/Extra CCC. The promo has a shot of her being confronted by Gilgamesh, so I have some hopes.

If they wanted the show to better follow Fate/Zero, Heaven's Feel really is the best option. Zero set up Sakura's terrible life, something Fate and UBW never clued you in on (outside of Shinji being an ass). It also continues Kirei's characterization, as well as Illya's, and Zouken is a major player. HF also deals with the true nature of the Holy Grail which Zero showed us.

Really everyone in HF gets more development. Heck, Rin gets more in HF than she does in her own damn route! The only one who gets the short end of the stick is Saber, which is probably a major reason it's not so appealing to anime makers. She is a big draw, after all.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
Ufotable "Fate/stay night" Saber Versus Lancer Fight Demoed

Oh my God that was awesome! Surprised

The animation looks great.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:

I dunno why she isn't more popular with Japanese otaku, but I dislike her because she has no spine. At least in Heaven's Feel, she shows some spunk, but otherwise... perfect otaku-bait: cute, helpless, obedient.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
She wasn't that spineless in the anime. We do see her stubborn streak at times. And once you find out what goes on in her family life you realise just how strong she really is.

Since the game came out first her backstory was already well known thanks to Heaven's Feel. And you know how negatively otaku react to girls who spoiler[aren't virgins.]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
She wasn't that spineless in the anime. We do see her stubborn streak at times. And once you find out what goes on in her family life you realise just how strong she really is.

Since the game came out first her backstory was already well known thanks to Heaven's Feel. And you know how negatively otaku react to girls who spoiler[aren't virgins.]

Yeah, I guess I hadn't factored that into account in regards to the otakus.

But I still think she's spineless as portrayed in SN and UBW. I understand that she's tough in the respect that what happened to her didn't destroy her. But she still comes across as being a mostly empty vessel, who only shows any spark on a couple of very specific occasions. She comes across as a doormat to me, and I just can't like people like that.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
There will a presentation today about the series according to their twitter:

Quote:
Niconico Live “Fate Project Presentation” will take place on July 27th 18:00. It’s accessible to all worldwide fans!

I'm hyped.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:19 am Reply with quote
Route confirmed:

spoiler[UBW! UBW! UBW!]

The trailer looks awesome. Most of it was events covered in the first anime, but the higher quality of animation is quite obvious. Gorgeous trailer, and left us hanging until the route title drop at the end.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:59 am Reply with quote
Split seasons. Starts October 4. OST by Hideyuki Fukasawa. Kalafina ED.

Since UBW is too short for 2 seasons, It'll be heavily padded. I hope by stuff from different routes and not cooking.

Aaaaand we have Heaven's Feel movie (or movies?). That was a great reveal and everyone gets what they wanted.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:58 am Reply with quote
That was awesome. The only thing I'm not too entirely sure on is the spoiler[Heaven's Feel] movie adaptations. I am very happy to know the spoiler[UBW] route has been confirmed though!

I can't wait.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:25 am Reply with quote
That is... interesting. As rough as that UBW movie was, that arc is really the best-suited to movie-length, as there's really only one meaningful event, and the rest is various levels of people looking cool (which, admittedly, is important to the franchise).

The Heaven's Feel arc is the one where the slow-burn was most effective, especially in terms of what was happening with Shirou. I wonder how well it could be delivered in movie form. Then again, movie format does give them a bit more leeway in terms of content.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
I have a feeling they might do what the manga did, which is mix Fate and Unlimited Blade Works together. Really, up until at least the events at Illya's castle, there's not a lot of separation between the two routes, and if they're building this for people coming in with no knowledge of the story, you do need the build-up from Fate (the prologue probably be one episode on its own) to explain things.

Heck, there's even a way to jump from Fate into UBW. It's a locked bad end, but it is there...

Heaven's Feel I'm reserving judgement for until they reveal on if it's a single movie or a series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 38