• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I was kind of disappointed that they didn't expand upon Shirou vs Kuzuki and Rin vs Caster. I thought Ufotable might add some more anime-exclusives with these fights to make them more spectacular. Ah well. Can't always have my way.

Finally, Archer made his move. I don't know how much I'm allowed to spoil, but... I think we can all agree that his identity is obvious by now. Neutral
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Not to me, it's not. Must be one of those things where it's obvious if you already know? If his hatred of Shirou is the clue, then I guess his true identity is 3/4 of the fandom?
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Not to me, it's not. Must be one of those things where it's obvious if you already know? If his hatred of Shirou is the clue, then I guess his true identity is 3/4 of the fandom?

I admit that if you don't know who he is, it might be a little difficult, but I'll just say the MAJOR hints that should tip you off.

1. He had Rin's pendant, something that there was only one of, suggesting that she was acquainted with a Tohsaka in his life.

2. He knew Saber in his previous life despite having lived in a time and place with the Tohsakas having a tangible presence, showing that he was nowhere near old England.

3. This is the major one that should have given his identity away by now, but if you still don't get it, I refuse to give any more hints. Remember what he says when he attacks Caster and Kuzuki. The single phrase he uses that supposedly gave it away to Shirou and Rin when they heard it.

spoiler[And judging from Archer's attitude, I'd say that he takes after his father quite well for those of you who saw Fate/Zero.]
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:27 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Most of the fandom either likes Shirou or have a mixed opinion of him. You're mostly characterizing those who never got past the "women shouldn't fight" part or only watched the 2006 show and are now just under confirmation bias.

loui6578 wrote:
I admit that if you don't know who he is, it might be a little difficult, but I'll just say the MAJOR hints that should tip you off.

Did she ask for wink-wink-nudge-nudge hints? I'm honestly exasperated by this necessity for some fans to not let newcomers come to their own conclusions as the plot progresses.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:51 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Most of the fandom either likes Shirou or have a mixed opinion of him. You're mostly characterizing those who never got past the "women shouldn't fight" part or only watched the 2006 show and are now just under confirmation bias.

loui6578 wrote:

Did she ask for wink-wink-nudge-nudge hints? I'm honestly exasperated by this necessity for some fans to not let newcomers come to their own conclusions as the plot progresses.

I only mentioned the things that were in the show already. There shouldn't be any problems, though I'm sorry if I ruined it for some people who couldn't resist reading.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:25 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I only mentioned the things that were in the show already.

No, you made it clear that you know what's up and then gave an interpretation of clues you chose specifically to make the conclusion you wanted. That's not speculation by someone who wants to figure things out himself or together with others. It's fatherly guidance that no one asked for.

Last edited by jl07045 on Mon May 04, 2015 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:29 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
I only mentioned the things that were in the show already.

No, you made it clear that you know what's up and then gave an interpretation of clues you chose specifically to make the conclusion you wanted.

Was I right...?
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:34 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Was I right...?

You're not, actually.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:

I am, too. It's freaking annoying. Some people are all too eager to show off their knowledge, even when it comes at the expense of other people's enjoyment.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
It was always annoying with original series how Saber was hyped up to be the best thing ever, and yet in reality was weak and mostly useless through almost all of it.

This retelling, of course, follows the same path.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Mon May 04, 2015 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
I was always annoying with original series how Saber was hyped up to be the best thing ever, and yet in reality was weak and mostly useless through almost all of it.

This retelling, of course, follows the same path.

Uh... wait till the next episode, that's all I'll say. Anything more would be spoiler material.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
As far I remember from the middle-2000s series Saber spoiler[has made a giant sword strike in the very end] but was useless through all of the series besides that (spoiler[being wounded or otherwise incapable of destroying opponents)]). If this retelling will change that, it would be fun.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
As far I remember from the middle-2000s series Saber spoiler[has made a giant sword strike in the very end] but was useless through all of the series besides that (spoiler[being wounded or otherwise incapable of destroying opponents)]). If this retelling will change that, it would be fun.

Shiro is the least competent mage (though he has other strengths) in the history of the Grail Wars... by a lot. He can't even give Saber prana through the means mages normally use. As a result, Saber is *constantly* starved for the source of energy she needs to fight properly. She rarely gets to fight at full capacity in the SN path.

Also, remember: this isn't the F/SN path that you remember. This is a different path -- the UBW path. It's not a retelling of SN.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 5:

Mm, that was interesting to see spoiler[Archer and his motivations. Not only that but we also see him take action by taking Rin. Poor her. The second half was a nice buildup for next time although felt rushed.]

I think they need to recuse her soon so it'll get interesting. spoiler[Didn't really like Shinji's involvement in this but whatever. He is with his servant (Gilgamesh) so of course I did somehow expect him to get involved in this story.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alberto7

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Woof, been a while since I've been on this forum! But I had to come back...

With the core Fate franchise being my favorite anime series and one of my favorite fantasy universes that I've ever seen, I am fanboying hard over the ufotable adaptation, and have been following it religiously. I feel like the VN is a lot more detailed (obviously), and the adaptation doesn't quite convey the same amount of information. However, it has made me feel like the VN does go around in circles a bit too much at some points, and has some unnecessary bits (i.e. unnecessary inner monologue). Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but it's something I noticed. with that said, I've loved every little bit of new info and new scenes that they've worked into the adaptation.

And, finally, the anime reveals who Archer actually is (even if it was strongly hinted at throughout the last few episodes), and they did so beautifully, I thought. That's one thing I like about UBW: the buildup to the big reveal, and then the intense climax. Also, the next-episode previews are something that ufotable has done very neatly ever since Fate/Zero, and they're even better for UBW. This last preview for next week's episode left me wondering a bit, actually, as the imagery hinted at Heaven's Feel, which I found odd.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 38