• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Robotics;Notes Complete Series (BLURAY+DVD)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devwild

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
I understand where the reviewer is coming from, but also expectations are way too high on this one. Evaluating it as a story all on it's own in the genre, it deserves better than a C- in my opinion. Certainly the problem with the story is the expectations it builds but never fulfills - instead giving a bait and switch. By the time the story ends it is well past being about the science, which was originally part of the lure.

Greed1914 wrote:
Though I think I would have settled for things not happening at the most convenient times with no explanation like spoiler[the monopoles.]

This is actually the perfect example and the main turning point. spoiler[Monopoles are intentionally not explained - it's a scientific in-joke, as a true stable monopole breaks current barriers of physics and lets you do damn near anything you please. Which is exactly what the story does from there on out.] To me I actually found that kind of amusing.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
devwild wrote:
This is actually the perfect example and the main turning point. spoiler[Monopoles are intentionally not explained - it's a scientific in-joke, as a true stable monopole breaks current barriers of physics and lets you do damn near anything you please. Which is exactly what the story does from there on out.] To me I actually found that kind of amusing.

Nice try, but we all know that 1): you're pulling that out from your arse, and 2): it is not even remotely a legitimate defence.
devwild

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
devwild wrote:

Nice try, but we all know that 1): you're pulling that out from your arse, and 2): it is not even remotely a legitimate defence.

Um, no, I am not pulling that out of my arse. spoiler[A monopole is a theoretical particle with a single magnetic force (only north or only south). They have a number of theoretical applications including powerful motors (assuming a monopole of multiple particles, much less a brick-sized one, was actually possible). In fact, it's been used in perpetual motion/free energy hoaxes for some time (see youtube), which is why I call it an in-joke here.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
^
I know very well what a monopole is. What I was referring to was that you are just inventing the in-joke nonsense to cover the show's massive plot hole.

Of course, I also said that even if the creators did intend for it to be an in-joke - they obviously didn't, but for a moment let's grant you that they did - it is still no excuse for having such a gigantic plot hole in such a vital part of the plot.
devwild

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
You say I was making a defense but I wasn't even trying to. I did say the bait and switch this created was a problem with the story. I just happened to find the way it was done amusing. That doesn't mean it was "excuse", just that it was entertaining to me in its own right. (I have more reasons for this in other small details about the plot but I'm not going to go into them, I doubt anyone cares).

I happened to get a good laugh out of the ending of Lost for the same reason, especially as that case was part of a two way banter with the fans. I am in the minority and I don't expect you to feel otherwise - you made your feelings clear with your first post and that's perfectly fine.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Reviewer wrote:
nigh-unwatchable and downright myopic

"Myopic" - I do not think it means what you think it means.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I just finished this so I guess I'll bump up this thread.

Possibly the biggest problem with R;N is that the characters are strong but they are undermined by stupid things. Akiho is supposed to be driving the story with her passion for robots but the entire series she shows absolutely ZERO interest in anything about them except for how "cool" they are and how they contain all our "hopes and dreams."

Not once does she give a damn about any of the scientific or engineering details. If it weren't for Frau and Subaru and JAXA volunteering her dream robot would be just an unworkable mess of metal bolted together. At the end of the day she is just a hyped up cheerleader.

Nonetheless I give the overall show a slightly better rating than the review. They did manage to get a story there, and there was some decent character interactions. The two kiss scenes, both with Yashio, were a cut above what you normally get with anime. The fact he got sincerely kissed by two girls is amazing all by itself. The supporting cast all makes it work, but the business with all the actual robots is just a mess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3