• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - The Changing Tides

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
rizuchan wrote:
I don't think this is entirely correct. I don't know the details of how Crunchyroll's flash player works but I have a sneaking suspicion they use Aegisub to design and time their subs (I've seen a number of their shows, especially some of the earlier ones, that use the Aegisub default font settings) , which is the same program fansubbers use for their fancy subs. If the player is designed to use these subtitle files the same way media players do I don't see why they couldn't have fancy karaoke subs if they wanted to.

CR does, in fact, use Aegisub, but they had to code their own renderer in Flash themselves (which, honestly, is quite an impressive technical feat). Most of the more insane karaoke animation in fansubs is pre-rendered because it'd be too much to do in real-time. (Some fansubbers even use After Effects.) So if it's too much to render in real-time with actual decent software, you can imagine how poorly that would work in Flash. Lots of limitations, so animation effects have to be kept pretty minimalist.

Soft subbing karaoke is extremely processor heavy. I've got fansubs I had to take the karaoke out of, since they would grind every device I had to screeching halt trying to handle all the bubbling hearts and rainbow color changes. I can't imagine trying to render that in Flash.

Right now, I set most of my devices up to strip out all the stupid fansubber formating crap out and display everything in a nice, legible font. Things are better that way
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I have to say despite the hate from the hardcore fans I do have to say I also like the dub ADV did for Macross. Not the greatest dub in the world but it's pretty solid in my book.
BooktapC

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I am really glad Free! is a success. It really shows that the female market is recognized and it is beginning to be catered to.

Good column. Glad to have read it.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I haven't bought a Laserdisc in well over a decade (I don't remember if the last one I bought online was before or after the turn of the millennium, but it was close), but there are certain anime Laserdiscs I'd still buy in a heartbeat in the unlikely chance I'd ever see them at a Value Village thrift store or flea market. The other night, I had a honest-to-god real dream where I was at a record/video store that closely resembled the long-gone downtown Montreal Sam the Record Man location looking through Laserdiscs and picking up the 1988 Kimagure Orange Road theatrical movie.

A well-mastered DVD could look as good as a Laserdisc but there were anime DVD releases (cough cough Oh My Goddess! OVAs) where I'm glad I never got rid of my LDs with their pure analogue signal instead of compressed to hell.

I'm lucky to still have a local anime store (the Comic Book Shoppe's Anime Stop sub-store) where I can buy most current physical media releases from. The day anime distributors go digital distribution-only is the day I stop spending money on anime.

--------

On a different subject, I'm a male Kyoto Animaton fan and I've been pro-Free! since the initial 1-minute "swimming anime" animation demo was first released, before Free! was even announced as a series. Not all KyoAni fanboys hate it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
My biggest complaint about the Macross dub was the fact that they fealt the need to have the English track in 5.1 stereo instead of the Japanese track's stereo (or possibly even mono). The 5.1 track needed whole new fairly generic-sounding sound effects, which to me, sounded quite off.
Violynne

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
About Google searching which lead you to illegal stream: Well that's the drawback of searching.

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as this. More importantly, it's certainly out of Google's hands to fix the issue.

While SEO does play some part in how sites are listed, there's more going on behind the scenes. As with most site owners trying to drive up traffic, they write scripts which do nothing but hit the servers, generating count that's registered all over the place.

Google uses these counts, along with other algorithms, to rank the link.

What people may not know is how these anime streaming sites rarely change servers, but instead, register hundreds of links to those same servers, which makes it difficult to force them offline.

There's also a new form of soft phishing which is being widely used in which a search phrase is "hijacked" from Google's searchers, and then soft-injected into the results.

While Google is trying to combat this, "Whack-a-mole" would be easier in terms of taking down sites.

Google owns its own DNS servers, which it uses to on the majority of its searchers, but it doesn't own "the" DNS server, which is owned by ICANN.

When a search is entered and it's not registered under Google's DNS, it has to utilize another DNS server to resolve the IP address, which Google can not control.

It's disappointing people, especially corporate executives, believe Google needs to take care of these issues, but the user should take some responsibility for their actions of clicking a link that's unfamiliar, especially if it's "too good to be true" (and often is).

While I can see many users here are actively aware of such shenanigans, the reality is most are not. Thankfully, browser manufactures are taking steps to make this soft-phishing scheme more difficult to do.

Today's browsers will warn you if there's a redirect request (and one should never accept the request) and some are now utilizing blacklists to warn users (even fighting back by aligning them with malicious attacks as users will definitely heed those warnings).

Despite the growing issues of infringement, the worst anyone can wish for is "all these bad sites get taken down", because the reality isn't that simple. Different countries have different laws, and while those laws may not be infringing US laws, the knee-jerk response is to have a US company do "something" about it.

Now, on the flip side: legitimate streaming services aren't doing very well to keep people from infringing. I'll stick to anime for this discussion, but for all the legitimate services out there, most aren't up to par on what people expect from a streaming site.

Intermittent play back, expiring content, excessive advertising interruption, and low quality video are common complaints.

Worse, the more popular a site gets, the more ISPs take notice, and as with the Netflix (which does show anime titles) and Comcast, the problem is getting worse for consumers.

Netflix has recently increased its monthly fee by $1 in the US to new members (existing members get a 2 year grandfather clause).

If issues like this continue, illicit sites will actually begin to see an increase in usage, not the decrease license holders are wishing for.

Sorry to be long winded and rambling, but thought I'd share how this isn't just a simple "search" problem.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Violynne wrote:

*Long story made short*

Yeah, nice explanation. I'm sure Justin would thank you for putting this up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yye1

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Guess I will not see the official release of the Macross Frontier TV series anytime soon
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
VHS tapes and the joys of rewinding... never mind the quality but that was my favorite feature when switching to DVD. Also:

Number of titles lost to tape snap: 10
Image warp due to heat: 12
Number lost due to being on a three hour tape and too long to play/rewind regularly: 20
EP/SLP: 100+.
Tracking: too many to count.

How can anyone be nostalgic about VHS? And LD always made me laugh but I'm not surprised that it's be treated with the same "respect" as vinyl lovers handle their bulky records.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
^ I think the biggest drawback to Laserdiscs was having to flip them every hour for CLV, or half-hour for CAV, which had the most gorgeous video quality but used more disk space per minute. However some of the fancier Laserdisc players could play both sides of the disk and hold multiple disks, unlike my base model Pioneer.

Then, of course, there's Laser Rot, which is why I haven't yet succumbed to the temptation to buy LDs from thrift stores without having the ability to check them out to ensure they're still playable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd buy anime LDs just for the cover-art, assuming they're cheap. Assuming it's been released on a better quality format with a remaster, there's no reason to ever watch the LD.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
VHS just demonstrates that home media has been getting harder and harder to damage since the days of having your favorite movie/cherished memories getting om nom nomed by the VCR.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Random thought about my quest to watch something legally streaming: Game of Thrones. I don't have cable, so I figure, "Hey, I can watch HBO GO, maybe get a trial or something to watch it." So I go there and find out that there is no trial. Alright, no trouble, I'll just buy a month of HBO GO. Ok, I can't just by GO. Fine, I'll get HBO so I can use it. Oh, I need cable? I don't have cable. THAT'S WHY IM ON THE INTERNET TO STREAM IT. Why should I need cable to watch something on the internet. So they wouldn't even LET me give them my money to watch it. So I tried to download it and was told by my isp I had to delete them immediately. Figures... I don't know why they won't let me pay them my money. I figure I may blind buy it on bluray, but at the time I wanted to they weren't even in print because apparently some scene was to be altered and they discontinued all runs, but I think that has been fixed.

Anyway, what is the deal with that whole Robotech/Macross thing. Did they splice together 3 shows to make one longer one? Or does Macross have it's own section followed by the other two? That seems so weird that they would do that...
Suena

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
VHS just demonstrates that home media has been getting harder and harder to damage since the days of having your favorite movie/cherished memories getting om nom nomed by the VCR.

Oh, that dreadful crunching sound!

My library has the newer Macross dub. I gave the first few episodes a try a while ago, and didn't think it was too bad. Didn't have time then to watch it all at once. But considering that it's that rare, I should probably try to watch it before someone else decides to "permanently borrow" it.

Also, no mention that tons of people go to those illegal sites because, maybe, their region doesn't get legal streaming? There are maybe 5 or 6 series every season that officially stream worldwide. I'm not justifying what these people do, but there's a lot more people outside of the U S of A than in. If that traffic affects my search results here, then I'm not surprised I'm seeing a lot of those sites making the top in Google.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:08 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:

Anyway, what is the deal with that whole Robotech/Macross thing. Did they splice together 3 shows to make one longer one? Or does Macross have it's own section followed by the other two? That seems so weird that they would do that...

Robotech ran all the Macross episodes first, followed by all the Southern Cross episodes, then finally all the Mospeada episodes. Each individual show was treated as a generation within the Robotech timeline. Just to give an example, they made it that the main character of Southern Cross was the daughter of two of the Macross characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4