• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - The Changing Tides

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:28 am Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
I don't get why people continue to use those shitty streaming sites. If your gonna do something illegal, at least do it right.

unfortunately alongs as there are popular anime series that will never get released in the US as well as some series that will never get a good and proper english dub that uses the original scripts ( like all of those "kid friendly" series) , streaming sites like that & especially some fansub sites will always exist.

Which is a massive lose lose situation for the maccross series alongs as Harmony Gold exist. Still surprised they are even around and not six feet under like the horror that is 4kids considering their the reasons why maccross frontier haven't been licensed.

the only hope for the franchise is for that company to finally kick the bucket permanently and possibly either funi or section 23 will take the license since they use a lot of the former ADV VA and could start where they left off. though getting Imari back again to voice as Minmay is slim to none if not impossible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
omiya

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:49 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
...The other night, I had a honest-to-god real dream where I was at a record/video store that closely resembled the long-gone downtown Montreal Sam the Record Man location looking through Laserdiscs and picking up the 1988 Kimagure Orange Road theatrical movie.

I'm still meaning to pick up the Yuki Kajiura soundtracks of Shin Kimagure Orange Road sometime.

The music of anime is actually my main interest in anime, so CD's of songs and soundtracks and attending and getting DVD's/blu-rays of live events are where most of my spending goes.

Unfortunately most anime music videos don't have subs for song lyrics either, with the DVD/blu-ray of Joe Hisaishi's 2008 Hayao Miyazaki music concerts being the exception. NHK did subs for the broadcast highlights of Animelo Summer Live 2013 but the released DVD/blu-rays didn't include them.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:18 am Reply with quote
I hate those illegal streaming sites. Even in a world of leech-kuns they are particularly bad.They are full of popup advertisements, adware and viruses. They make profits but don't give any back to the anime industry or even the fansubbers (the vast majority of which sub for free and only take donations to cover hosting/bandwidth costs).

Anyway, I always torrent fansubs and fanrips, because why stream when you can download and watch at your leisure? Nothing like going on a holiday and bringing the old laptop along for when it's raining and you can't go outside.
GVman

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:01 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
GVman wrote:
I don't get why people continue to use those shitty streaming sites. If your gonna do something illegal, at least do it right.

unfortunately alongs as there are popular anime series that will never get released in the US as well as some series that will never get a good and proper english dub that uses the original scripts ( like all of those "kid friendly" series) , streaming sites like that & especially some fansub sites will always exist.

Oh, trust me, I completely understand the plight of folks who love shows that'll never be licensed for any sort of legal distribution. I was just mainly referring to the kids that use the illegal streaming sites to watch whatever. As for the stuff that isn't coming out here, they'd get better quality and not run into malware if they just downloaded it.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Random thought about my quest to watch something legally streaming: Game of Thrones. I don't have cable, so I figure, "Hey, I can watch HBO GO, maybe get a trial or something to watch it." So I go there and find out that there is no trial. Alright, no trouble, I'll just buy a month of HBO GO. Ok, I can't just by GO. Fine, I'll get HBO so I can use it. Oh, I need cable? I don't have cable. THAT'S WHY IM ON THE INTERNET TO STREAM IT. Why should I need cable to watch something on the internet. So they wouldn't even LET me give them my money to watch it. So I tried to download it and was told by my isp I had to delete them immediately. Figures... I don't know why they won't let me pay them my money. I figure I may blind buy it on bluray, but at the time I wanted to they weren't even in print because apparently some scene was to be altered and they discontinued all runs, but I think that has been fixed.

I remember when The Oatmeal posted the same rant, and it sounded just as entitled then. HBO isn't required to make all their content available to you in the format or delivery method you prefer. Is it shitty? Yes, but that's their choice to make.

It took a while, but the first three seasons are available on Amazon Instant Video and iTunes.
lebrel

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
About John's question: "Fujoshi" does not mean "female otaku". The correct term for "female otaku" is "female otaku". "Fujoshi" are, specifically, fans of Boys' Love. Some of the writers here consistently misuse the term (Zac and Hope I'm looking at you), but it's still incorrect.

Free did have some fujoshi-friendly subtext, but a series can contain lots of hot, inadequately clad young men (*cough*Kamigami no Asobi*cough*) without being targeted to fujoshi.

About Justin's response: Hey, Meganebu! was a lot of fun. And had really pretty animation. It's light disposable entertainment, but so is mostly everything.
Zumie

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
GOD! Look at that laser disc it's like a record!! Mad

Remember laser discs?? I do.. feel sorry for me Crying or Very sad Oh the shame, the shame of it all x_x;
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
The Macross franchise has never had a single decent English dub. Animaze's 2 and Plus dubs, while featuring some good talent, were still clumsy and poorly performed. Hell, even Bryan Cranston was terrible in it. And ADV's SDF dub was embarrassingly bad, partly because they thought that the Japanese VA for Minmay would be cool to have as the English VA, too. Yeah, she can speak English. But she can't act in it.

The less said about Robotech, the better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In the mean time, stay off those sites. The quality usually sucks anyway.
Well i would if i could for gods sake Funimation says ''You should be watching'' well fact is i can't because i'm not in the U.S it's retarded because i din't choose to live in a country that's still in the stone age when it comes to streaming let alone with Anime.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:38 am Reply with quote
He is means, if you're going to pirate, pirate like a champ and download the high quality fansubs, not watching shitty streams.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll was a pirate site up until 2008. The others are trying to copy crunchy's success. There are nearly 100 of them now.

Justin, whats the difference between a $100 LD player and $1000 LD player? I can only guess it would be how many outputs it has in the back. I just want to play some anime LDs again.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
CrunchyrollJustin, whats the difference between a $100 LD player and $1000 LD player? I can only guess it would be how many outputs it has in the back. I just want to play some anime LDs again.

LD is an analog format, and the video used no compression, so the quality(both for audio and video) largely depended on the capabilities of the players, unlike DVDs and BDs where the output signal will always stay the same.

Many low-end/early players suffered from poorly-implemented audio. However, unlike video, later models could have digital audio as well.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
TonyTonyChopper wrote:
Quote:
Well i would if i could for gods sake Funimation says ''You should be watching'' well fact is i can't because i'm not in the U.S it's retarded because i din't choose to live in a country that's still in the stone age when it comes to streaming let alone with Anime.

Have you considered moving to the US, or another country with a decent anime localization industry? I know it won't be an easy process, but if anime is really that important to you, maybe you should come up with a plan to relocate, or start your own Funimation-like company to fulfill that need if none exist.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
I remember when The Oatmeal posted the same rant, and it sounded just as entitled then. HBO isn't required to make all their content available to you in the format or delivery method you prefer. Is it shitty? Yes, but that's their choice to make.

True, but the choices they make say a lot about conflict-of-interest in the US cable and Internet industries.

Services like HBO have been the backbone of the cable industry since they first went up on the satellite in the 1970s. Together they've shared a long and profitable relationship. HBO's original identity as a source for recent movies gave cable operators a competitive advantage compared to ordinary broadcast television. Now HBO has become a producer of first-run programming, again offering unique material available only through cable (and satellite, microwave, etc.) operators.

Direct distribution of HBO's programming over the Internet threatens to destroy the economic structure of the cable industry. A world where the Internet is largely a "dumb" pipe and individuals contract with program providers like HBO directly would destroy the value of the government-created monopolies called cable operators. HBO itself, on the other hand, may not be affected much by a direct distribution regime. They might actually get to capture more of the subscription fee that way than having to split it with the cable operators.

So, for reasons having to do with industry politics, if you want to watch HBO over the Internet, you have to subscribe to a local cable operator's video services and pay for HBO, even if you subscribe to Internet services from the same provider. This preserves the cable operators' monopoly over access while letting HBO satisfy its subscribers' desire for ubiquitous availability.

Will these types of arrangements survive the further advance of the Internet? I think they probably will for at least another five years, maybe more. In the short term both the program services and the cable operators together face fundamental competition from the Internet-only services like Amazon Instant and Netflix. Still, it's the rights holders with the trump cards in any discussions about video distribution. Industrial arrangements they find profitable today may be less so tomorrow. As HBO moves further in the direction of being a "studio" rather than a "distributor," it has less in common with the cable operators. Conflicts like that might create some change in how video programming is distributed in the US.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
TonyTonyChopper wrote:
Quote:

Have you considered moving to the US, or another country with a decent anime localization industry? I know it won't be an easy process, but if anime is really that important to you, maybe you should come up with a plan to relocate, or start your own Funimation-like company to fulfill that need if none exist.

Do you realise just how idiotic and senseless your answer is ?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4