• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kill la Kill English Dub to Premiere at Anime Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I was THIS close to pulling the trigger on a Persona 4 script and this genga of Holo. I should have known Aniplex of America would crank out the dub by July and recruit one of my favorite seiyuus in Ami Koshimizu to go to the States.

Ugh...why does California have to be so far away? Crying or Very sad
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I've been denying myself the pleasure of watching the awesome that is Kill la Kill ever since Aniplex of America aquired the license. I was concerned that AoA would release this SUB-only in North America...

Guess I don't have to anymore. Embarassed

TO CRUNCHYROLL! Very Happy
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Dumnerd wrote:
I was concerned that AoA would release this SUB-only in North America...

Yeah, heaven forbid they do that. Then it might be affordable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Dumnerd wrote:
I was concerned that AoA would release this SUB-only in North America...

Yeah, heaven forbid they do that. Then it might be affordable.

With Aniplex's track record, then it would've been DVD-only and still would've cost twice as much as everything else.
angieness

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I know people will be mad about the prices, but I for one am glad this is a sign they're not going to do the Fate/Zero route where they released the pricey imports and waited a year to release it here. I figure the whole series will be like $250-$300 but I will pay it.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
HOLY SHIT! The one series I wouldn't mind paying an exorbitant price for Blu-Rays is already headed here! I just loved this show, from beginning to end. Can not wait to own.

Now let's see...Cassandra Lee is most likely in this one, not Ryuko or Satsuki, but somewhere. My money's on Nonon Jakuzure.

I'd like Stephanie Sheh to be in this one, but I prefer her less squeaky tone. She'll probably play Mako, but I'm holding out for her playing Nui Harime.

Laura Bailey...Ragyo? Maybe Satsuki? That'd be something.

Christopher R. Sabat for Ira. I don't know how they'd bring him over, but I still want him as Ira. I'd buy him the Goddam plane ticket.

I don't know why, but I'd like to hear Spike Spencer as Uzu Sanageyama. Dunno why.

Ryuko's the real toughy. Michelle Ruff has been in too damn many to count, and I'm kinda sick of her being typecasted. Cherami Leigh...no, I can't imagine. Just...can't.

Shit, I just don't know. Come one Aniplex, throw us a curve.
scriver058

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Got 2 eps to go on Kill la Kill, loved the hell out of it so provided we get BDs, I'd better start saving the 200-300 bucks it's likely gonna take to get the whole thing.

Cool that it's getting a dub, but I do hope they get top talent for it and that those people bring their A-games to it. I'm primarily a dub guy, but having said that this show feels like a tricky dub, to say the least.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
if it's a Bang Zoom dub, start thinking like Mami Okada and/or Kaeko Sakamoto and match the English VA that sounds the most similar to the Japanese VA
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
angieness wrote:
I know people will be mad about the prices, but I for one am glad this is a sign they're not going to do the Fate/Zero route where they released the pricey imports and waited a year to release it here. I figure the whole series will be like $250-$300 but I will pay it.

Well people will get aboard the hate train as per usual, and as per usual many of them will be laughed at for putting their utter ignorance on display.

Having that said I probably won't buy the AoA releases, as Anime Limited have since quite some time ago confirmed that they will be releasing KLK in Q4 2014. If the AoA release is unusually well rounded (even for AoA standards that is) I may just double dip though Smile
kamen_otaku81

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Woohoo!

I nominate Karen Strassman or Carrie Savage for Nui and Hilary Haag for Nonon!
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:
KENZICHI wrote:
I didn't know it was even getting a dub! I'm only on episode 5 right now, but I'm more keen to watching things in my own language so I might just wait now. I'm wondering who would play Ryuko. I hope it's an actress with a nice, strong voice like Luci Christian Smile

Knowing Aniplex, there's a 99.999999999999999% chance that this'll be dubbed in LA by Bang Zoom!.

Yeah I figured she wouldn't be in it that's why I said like Luci lol. I'm not too familiar with Bang Zoom voice actors so I have no idea.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Just please, for the love of all that is good and holy, DO NOT cast Darrel Guilbeau in a major role.

That man couldn't act his way out of a wet paper sack if he was given a box cutter with instructions on it. Mad

Quote:
Yeah I figured she wouldn't be in it that's why I said like Luci lol. I'm not too familiar with Bang Zoom voice actors so I have no idea.

Bang Zoom doesn't really have any actresses who sound like Luci, although I have noticed she's usually the one who replaces Kari Wahlgren when FUNi licenses a sequel season.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy, it's arguable that someone could apply your comment on Darrel's acting abilities to a Japanese performance (I've lately been on a trek of sorts on another forum asking people when they consider the Japanese version of anime to be crappy because I am so used to hearing how the Eng. version is horrible and thought it was time to reverse the situation. This would be namely to people that I see coming across as sub elitists).
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as Ragyo and Tara Platt as Satsuki.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MAKE IT HAPPEN.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Yes! If any anime needed a dub it's this one, and honestly I hope it isn't a 1:1 translation and the team decides to take some liberties with it because I think that would make this show far more entertaining if they do it right. Kinda like how YYH (yes I know it's old but it's the best example I could think of) did it keeping the plot intact but adding their own life to the characters that made it fun as hell to watch.

If it comes with features going into the making of the show then maybe I'd buy it but otherwise it'll all depend on the dub... and price...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6