• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Imōto Paradise! 2 Manga to Be Restricted as 'Unhealthy' in Tokyo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:04 am Reply with quote
Can anyone explain what the deal is with all the incest stuff lately? It's even showing up as an incidental plot device in non-fanservice oriented shows. Was there one example that made tons of money or something and now everyone's jumping on the bandwagon?
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:16 am Reply with quote
@Lusbox: It's fantasy; reality only butts in as much as the author(s) want it to. "2D" is never going to make you do anything in "3D" unless you already wanted to do it. We've settled this with violent video games; the same principle applies to everything else.

@nargun: I'm gonna have to call bullshit. All sort of books contain the same thing and even worse; unless there's something horrible on the cover, the "rape survivors hav[ing] to walk past it" probably wouldn't even notice it. And even if you have clearly graphic covers, a simple piece of plastic can stop anybody from having to see it who doesn't want to - no need to restrict where it can be sold.

@Penguin_Factory: Maybe the imouto genre's just gotten popular - otaku media is horribly prone to being an echoroom.
誤称

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:17 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Can anyone explain what the deal is with all the incest stuff lately? It's even showing up as an incidental plot device in non-fanservice oriented shows. Was there one example that made tons of money or something and now everyone's jumping on the bandwagon?

Oreimo printed money.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:35 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
Penguin_Factory wrote:

Oreimo printed money.

It's been a thing in anime, manga, and visual novel circles since at least 2001,with Sister Princess and Da Capo. People make too much of it. It's a solid excuse to combine a childhood friend archetype character with a forbidden love story. The Westermarck Effect pretty much guarantees you aren't going to some how turn to incestuous relationships because of manga anymore than yaoi will make you gay or Call of Duty will make you a schooler shooter. Personally, I love imoto/onii-san relationships in anime, but the thought of a relationship with my actual sibling is pretty disgusting. Just another case of unscientific moral panic trampling people's artistic freedoms.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
nargun

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:37 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
@nargun: I'm gonna have to call bullshit. All sort of books contain the same thing and even worse; unless there's something horrible on the cover, the "rape survivors hav[ing] to walk past it" probably wouldn't even notice it. And even if you have clearly graphic covers, a simple piece of plastic can stop anybody from having to see it who doesn't want to - no need to restrict where it can be sold.

The trading in the exploitative material creates the exclusion. Not the visibility. Selling "One hundred best lynching pictures, a postcard portfolio!!" would create an environment where young black men would feel uncomfortable, whether or not the actual lynching images were visible [and also, incidentally, whether the lynching images were photos or imaginative/fictional drawings]

So there are trade-offs. But they're pretty easy to resolve, because people are members of their demographics continuously -- women are always women, young black men always young black men, &c -- but purchasors of exploitative manga only a few times a day, tops.

Which means we need vastly more "places where women can be comfortable being women" than we do "places where people can buy exploitative manga". No place can be both, sadly, and there's more people who need/want to be women at any given time than there are are people who need/want to buy exploitative manga. A lot more.

And similarly we can see that we should only sell exploitative manga in spaces where people can freely and without significant problem chose not to enter: excluding people from places they need to be is kinda bad, obviously.

Both of these point to its being best if exploitative manga only be sold in special-purpose sites reserved for the purpose.
Tacetis

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:48 am Reply with quote
The issue isn't necessarily the activities being censored here, let us not follow that slippery slope. Not many things exactly jump out with a title like that, other than the illusion of incest on the cover.

The issue is simply that a work is being restricted on the basis of it not matching ethical guidelines that a select group decides to make. You could match it up to other rating systems. . . but Japan has a rating system already. Quite a few, actually. I'm not going to deny that limiting sales based off the rating system is a bad thing, but the law in general isn't a good thing.

As soon as you influence sales by restricting locations (let us not buy into the discomfort of passerby's as a whole issue when clearly the cover demonstrates nothing exploitative nor does the work as a whole garner the likely condemnation that other, likely more sensitive issues have) and instead focus on the fact that the government choose to issue the restrictions. Individual stores and the companies involved have a right to make the decisions on sales. . . and the public has a right to ignore them or not buy the items. By making another roadblock for a company to have to go through that is arbitrary at best? There isn't any real moral outrage to be had here except by a select few. An overwhelmingly small minority who likely have massive issues. And most of the time you don't need a law specifically to restrict that possibility. . . people will get outraged and speak up if that is the case.

Slippery slope arguments and logical fallacies are NOT helpful in any regard. In this case, does the 'exploited' demographic actually feel. . . exploited or otherwise inhibited by the work in question? A Majority of the 'minority' so to speak? I doubt the reaction would be anything more than 'Eww' or some variant of in this case on a whole.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I already read another article on this, and apprently the UNICEF is trying to pressure Japan into banning hentia that depetics under-aged characters(High school/middle school/lolis/shotas).

The UN trying to get a country censor it media, what is this world coming too?
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
There are far worse things to come out of Japan. Unhealthy? Is every manga released, required reading? Just ignore it like everything else.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:

The trading in the exploitative material creates the exclusion. Not the visibility. Selling "One hundred best lynching pictures, a postcard portfolio!!" would create an environment where young black men would feel uncomfortable, whether or not the actual lynching images were visible [and also, incidentally, whether the lynching images were photos or imaginative/fictional drawings]

So there are trade-offs. But they're pretty easy to resolve, because people are members of their demographics continuously -- women are always women, young black men always young black men, &c -- but purchasors of exploitative manga only a few times a day, tops.

Which means we need vastly more "places where women can be comfortable being women" than we do "places where people can buy exploitative manga". No place can be both, sadly, and there's more people who need/want to be women at any given time than there are are people who need/want to buy exploitative manga. A lot more.

And similarly we can see that we should only sell exploitative manga in spaces where people can freely and without significant problem chose not to enter: excluding people from places they need to be is kinda bad, obviously.

Both of these point to its being best if exploitative manga only be sold in special-purpose sites reserved for the purpose.

You would have a point...if there wasn't a huge amount of rape/rap undertones in manga aimed at women, especially in BL.

If the theme of rape excludes ALL women (as you're saying), then why do so many works made by women, for women, have it? If you meant to say "rape victims are excluded by manga with rape in it", then yeah I can agree, but then you all of a sudden expanded this into "all women dislike and are excluded by manga with rape in it"...when shoujo and BL have it frequently, to the point that many people (including fans of the two genres!) criticize them.

Unless you're one of those "all women are raped by society every day" people at which point...I'll leave you be.
Rensie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:07 am Reply with quote
Sad when someone, expecially a bunch of corrupted politicians influenced by third party foreign groups, decide what you can or not view, expecially because bill 156 can be applied only to manga and anime and not to light novels and live actions.
Japan is spineless and is start to become year after year a western colony, they please foreigners and try to bury and kill their own culture just to be more close to western shitty morality, this is very disgusting and unaccettable.
polwath

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:05 am Reply with quote
This is the worst thing I ever heard of. And, it's just terrible and non-sense decision.

I can say here seriously. Although it's adapt from R18+ Game but every time, manga writer changed and managed it to suitable and appropriate for every audiences reader. But it still banned by Tokyo government.

Even more, this action can be described Tokyo government cannot manage real-life adult industry because of Yakuza, we all know that. And they changed their legal action to anime, game, manga and others. Just like blaming.
nargun

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:49 am Reply with quote
Rensie wrote:
expecially a bunch of corrupted politicians influenced by third party foreign groups

Yes, that's right, the Aga khan sent his team of crack shiva-worshipping death-cultists [with scottish accents] to disrupt the ley-lines channeled by the Yodo river and release the demon Abraxis that's the origin of the name "Akihabara". Only they turned left instead of right at tokyo station and wound up in Kasumigaseki.

Shotarou Ishinomori isn't really addled with age, he's just mind-controlled by foreign wizards! And as soon as Gandalf comes he'll kick them all the way back to dejima!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3