• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Build Fighters Has 'New Series' in the Works

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cetais

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:05 am Reply with quote
Build Fighters wasn't like any other Gundam anime.

I really enjoyed it for what it was.
I first tried the Gundam franchise with AGE (which was a pain to watch every week) but Im glad I stayed for BF.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:48 am Reply with quote
Oh, for the love of God! This crap is getting expanded?

Last edited by the-antihero on Fri May 16, 2014 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:34 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
If you wanted serious war drama, you can look elsewhere. Build Fighters was only concerned with one thing: having fun. It was a celebration of the franchise and the fandom with great characters and awesome battles.

+1000 Cool
Gundam Build Fighters was a huge success, not only in terms of models sales but also in terms of viewership. It was a good show all around. Had something for everyone, for the old die hard fans that liked the references to the different eras and for the new young fans.
I've said it all along, Sunrise finally got it right. They've understood that the Gundam franchise cannot survive without young blood and rehashing over and over again the tropes of the UC conflict doesn't work anymore (although from time to time they throw a bone to the desperate UC talibans). They tried that in Age and failed miserably. At least they've got talented people that worked on GBF and hopefully will work on its sequel.
I seriously can't wait to watch it. Smile
chronium

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:58 am Reply with quote
Gundam Build Fighters was the most original Gundam storyline in decades so I had a great time watching the show without waiting for the standard Gundam plot points to happen.

I hope season 2 explores Reiji's reality.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:04 am Reply with quote
[quote="Cptn_Taylor"Had something for everyone, for the old die hard fans that liked the references to the different eras and for the new young fans.[/quote]
Not true. It had absolutely nothing for me. It was just like any other sports show/ card game show, except it was with robots.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:23 am Reply with quote
If it were the only Gundam actively being made, there would be cause to be irritated with Build Fighters. It isn't, so I'm not. At first I was down on it, then it turned out to be something that had a sense of humor, self-awareness and enough smarts to not make like Yu-Gi-Oh and actually try taking its concept seriously. So you know, whatever. Let the kids and laid back fans have their fun. I can't stand it when people act like this is the best Gundam in 20 years or something, but I was entertained and I'll watch more of it.
SiLVER820

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:18 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
If you wanted serious war drama, you can look elsewhere. Build Fighters was only concerned with one thing: having fun. It was a celebration of the franchise and the fandom with great characters and awesome battles.

Exactly! I'm watching it right now and it's way better than I would have thought. It's clear that this is a show made by people who just love Gundam. It's sad that some old-school Gundam fans don't realize that, but I'm glad we're getting more.
Kebble

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
Gundam Build Fighters totally flew under the radar for me. How many other Gundam series does a cute moe girl talk about the 'Cold District' style of GMs seen in 0080? And how many other Gundam series have we seen the Gundam X fight the 'Apsalus' from 08th MS Team? My dreams weren't ever that good.

I would love a sequel. Yes, it's a toy commercial, but it's a beautiful and well made toy commercial. Any fan of the Universal Century who can enjoy other types of anime will find that Gundam Build Fighters is one hell of a wild ride.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
There are some fights in GBF together with its music that puts to shame most of the fighting in the Gundam Franchise. Watching those epic fights gave me goosebumps. They were that good. If people equate Gundam with misery, death and unlikable characters they're missing some really great action in GBF. Too bad for them. Twisted Evil
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the original GBF series, i'm not against them doing more though i find myself wondering how their going to top it since half of the main characters went "Home". Hopefully, they'll explain it.
Psychogun

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Having watched all the Gundam franchise except SEED and Destiny, I'm glad we're getting a new BF. Seriously guys, what else is there to say about "war is bad" at this point? 00 already covered 21st century warfare.

Cetais wrote:
I first tried the Gundam franchise with AGE (which was a pain to watch every week)...

I'm so sorry you had to go through that...
kgw

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
You know what's the difference between Cardboard Senki, Cardfight Vanguard and GBF? Me neither. Toy robots, kids playing pretending it is serious, lots of merchandising. Period.

One of my favourites Gundam stories is 0080. GBF is as if someone says it's cr*p just because there are not enough robot battles and too much talk...

And sincerely, if you think GBF is the best Gundam there is, I am too sure you did not, do not and will not understand what Gundam is.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
SiLVER820 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

Exactly! I'm watching it right now and it's way better than I would have thought. It's clear that this is a show made by people who just love Gundam. It's sad that some old-school Gundam fans don't realize that, but I'm glad we're getting more.

Some people are just really really stubborn and seem to feel they have an image to keep up. It's just kind of funny how Gundam BF really isn't at all what some people are accusing it of being here, but then these are the people that I find always seem to have strange opinions on things anyway.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
You know what's the difference between Cardboard Senki, Cardfight Vanguard and GBF? Me neither. Toy robots, kids playing pretending it is serious, lots of merchandising. Period.

One of my favourites Gundam stories is 0080. GBF is as if someone says it's cr*p just because there are not enough robot battles and too much talk...

And sincerely, if you think GBF is the best Gundam there is, I am too sure you did not, do not and will not understand what Gundam is.

The overall idea of "sell things" is definitely the same. The difference is in the execution. There's tons of fanservice for every Gundam series packed into the show. Character cameos, suits that will likely never see an actual toys just because, great animation (including fight sequences by Masami Obari!). So yeah, it seeks to sell some models, but that's been their MO for years. How is being honest about it while taking the time to make sure it's done well a great sin?

I honestly can't understand this sentiment. My favorite Gundam Series are 8th MS Team, G Gundam, and now GBF. Each is a different thing in the big stage of Gundam. I really like 8th for showing the face of the grunts and the politics surrounding the UC war. G Gundam is overly serious while being completely dumb. GBF is the most straightforward FUN Sunrise has ever had. It's proof that yes, sometimes Gundam is dark, sometimes it's silly, but they love it and know we love it so lets take a moment to celebrate. Acting like being HAPPY about Gundam is in anyway disrespectful to the Franchise is crazy. If you honestly are interested in Gundam only for the grimmer aspects then that's fine, but to tell others they are wrong for celebrating everything Gundam is, including the grimness, is a bit out of line.

So here's the deal. Gundam is everything Gundam entails. I'm not a fan of SD, SEED, or AGE but they exist non-the-less. They are at one point what Sunrise believes is Gundam. So are the original movies, ZZ, G, and now so is GBF. They are all Gundam. They are all here to sell us toys. Whether that's through the lens of war, street fighter, or breaking the 4th wall a bit and showing us kids playing with Gundam toys of their own, the only thing that matters past that is if we enjoy watching them sell us toys, and if you think otherwise I'm sorry to say you do not understand what Gundam is.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

I've said it all along, Sunrise finally got it right. They've understood that the Gundam franchise cannot survive without young blood and rehashing over and over again the tropes of the UC conflict doesn't work anymore (although from time to time they throw a bone to the desperate UC talibans). They tried that in Age and failed miserably. At least they've got talented people that worked on GBF and hopefully will work on its sequel.
I seriously can't wait to watch it. Smile

I wouldn't quite go that far. Considering Unicorn Gundam was so successful that it completely eclipsed the financial failures of AGE there is still certainly a demo-graph to cater to when it comes to UC and its tropes.

While I agree that in order keep the franchise alive they will have to build up a new fanbase the problem with AGE was not so much that it tried to retread the UC, but because it was poorly written and was catered to the wrong demograph.

The funny thing is that AGE made the same mistake that the original MSG TV series made. The reality is that most kids around the ages of 6-10 aren't interested in stories about war and politics. MSG originally failed because its initial audience didn't care about it and it wasn't until MSG was discovered by the teen and young adult demography that it became a success. Had AGE at least been written better it might have been more successful with the older audiences.

Now all that being said, I love Build Fighters and am glad its getting a sequel/new project. It's got a nice simple story that's easy enough for the young audience to digest and has several callbacks to older series in the franchise to keep the older fans hooked. In terms of finding a middle ground for the old and new, Sunrise completely nailed it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6