• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Bunny Drop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

I'm not quite sure why the author choose that ending, it's a very strange choice.

Apparently volume 10 contains an interview by the mangaka stating that she wanted to contrast Bunny Drop with her other series, Yoningurashi, where a couple raises two young kids and...that's it. I can't confirm this, since I don't own vol. 10, but I read it from this site: http://suitablefortreatment.mangabookshelf.com/2014/05/01/bunny-drop-vol-10/
gerbilx

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I don't overtly mind what happened, but I do think that it was very badly and unrealistically told.

But anywho, the only single father manga that really matters in my eyes is My Girl.
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
Usagi Drop is one of the very few series I prefer the anime over the manga of. After the timeskip, it goes from being a fun, cute manga into a generic teenage shoujo drama. No thanks. There's enough of those titles flooding bookstores already.

I think Otaku no Musume-san - a manga about a 30-something otaku who one day finds out he has a daughter and raises her - had an overall better ending than Usagi Drop. At least in Otaku no Musume-san they never lost focus on the father/daughter relationship, whereas a good chunk of the time skip in Usagi Drop focuses almost entirely on Rin.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
Am i the only one who got slightly irritated by the portrayal of Daikichi as this almost saintlike person who was instantly willing to give up everything for this kid that wasn't even his own? A bit more (inner) struggle would have been nice. Then there's The Evil Birth Mother who abandoned her child for her career (*gasp!*), but later gets a chance to "redeem herself" by having another kid and finally becoming a "good mother". Rolling Eyes

So with that in mind - and Daikichi's open contempt for Masako - i couldn't help but finding it pretty ironic that this allegedly flawless father figure, seems to be completely fine with getting to bang his "precious daughter" in the end as a reward for all those sacrifices he made for her...

But yeah, the ending sucks.
RokugoPeachMoon

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:27 am Reply with quote
melmouth wrote:
So much moralizing on this site--from both the commentators and the members! I truly believe that if some of American manga fandom ends up having it's way, they'll eventually have manga purified of every single trace of sexual and/or transgressive content--til it's been eroded down to Disney level.

And then everyone over 12 will be bored with it and go looking around the world for entertainment that is less sanitized.

Part of the charm, and economic draw, of manga is that it inserts somewhat-transgressive bits in even the blandest stories in order to keep the readers stirred up and interested. That's been going on in Japanese visual media since the Edo period, and I hope the USA doesn't manage to change it.

This.

TheSeventhSense wrote:
I have no problem with sexual content in manga. I love Black Lagoon, Negima! and similar. I have a problem with this lazy "oh well we can't think of anything else for this six year old to do and the readers are getting bored so INCEST NOW WE'RE CONTROVERSIAL AND MAKE MORE MONIES" crap storytelling.

Hyperbole.....nothing more.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:17 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Rin made it clear to Daikichi, when she was 6 years old, that he was not her parent and she did not consider him her parent. She never changed from that belief. Daikichi happily accepted her belief.

Try to see things from Rin's point of view.
What a 6-year-old says to the adult that is her legal guardian at that time, would and should have been taken with a grain of salt as what does a 6-year-old know about life in the culture and social order where she/he lives? Children that age will say daft things like that because they simply don't know any better. e.g. Her-in-door's works at our local infant school as a Dinner Lady and just the other day a 5-year-old boy told her he was going to marry her. Flattered she thanked him, but told him "Mr. Mohawk would be sad if he did that". Daikichi is even more reprehensible for not knowing, or ignoring that. That's the creepy bit about this and the mangaka is well known in H-doujinshi circles for her writings and drawing so it's no surprise that she just couldn't let it lay and got one in. Even at 16 Rin is too young and erroneously infatuated to realise the social implications, reaction to what she feels toward him and it is his responsibility to tell her so in no uncertain terms that she needs to wake up and smell the coffee. He didn't and deserves the grief all three of them gets.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:45 am Reply with quote
Kodomo no Jikan was much better and had a better ending.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:19 am Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
Kodomo no Jikan was much better and had a better ending.
You had to open that can of worms , didn't you?
skaly

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote
This manga reminded me of a quote from Neil Gaiman's Sandman, except replace "death" with "going completely off the rails" or what have you.

"All Bette's stories have happy endings. That's because she knows where to stop. She's realized the real problem with stories—if you keep them going long enough, they always end in death."
Sylpher3

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:22 am Reply with quote
The problem with the ending is that it destroys the entire heart and soul of the first part.
I was enamored with the story of a man raising his adoptive daughter through hardships and fun times, but with the ending accounted for, it suddenly became a story about a man raising his future wife to later have babies with her. Call me close-minded but this isn’t what I consider a fitting nor a beautiful ending.

I wouldn’t complain if it was a shallow series like Oreimo, but the characters and emotions in Bunny Drop felt genuine and realistic. So for convenience sake, I just pretend there is no second half.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Am i the only one who got slightly irritated by the portrayal of Daikichi as this almost saintlike person who was instantly willing to give up everything for this kid that wasn't even his own? A bit more (inner) struggle would have been nice.

Irritated by selfless love? No. If you don't get it, talk to actual parents sometime.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Merida wrote:
Am i the only one who got slightly irritated by the portrayal of Daikichi as this almost saintlike person who was instantly willing to give up everything for this kid that wasn't even his own? A bit more (inner) struggle would have been nice.

Irritated by selfless love? No. If you don't get it, talk to actual parents sometime.

Sure, because "actual parents" never have doubts or - god forbid! - negative feeling towards their kids... Rolling Eyes
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
Oh please, do away with the straw man. It's not my problem if you think adoptive parents are too unrealistic. No one said there was no sacrifice or challenge involved. Done with you.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
GWOtaku wrote:
Merida wrote:

Sure, because "actual parents" never have doubts or - god forbid! - negative feeling towards their kids... Rolling Eyes
Depends on the parent really. Actual good parents will only have those feelings if the child is rebellious, or non compliant to instruction, but will not express their concerns in an aggressive way to threaten the child. also anyone with a bit of compassion and feelings toward an abandoned child who probably feels like no one loves, or even wants her/him would, or should react in the way Daikichi did toward Rin. That's the main problem with most troublesome feral children in the world. No one wanted them in the first place and they know it.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:47 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
It's not my problem if you think adoptive parents are too unrealistic.

No, i said Daikichi was too unrealistic for someone who quite literally became a parent from one minute to the next, but whatever...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8