• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Licenses New Sailor Moon Crystal Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
DigitalFowl wrote:
I need some actual news concerning WHERE I will be able to watch this Viz.

A license grab like this without that piece of information is, apologies for bluntness, completely useless to me.

Let me know where, when and for how much so I can make SURE I can ACTUALLY watch this.

It says Niconico in the article. And who knows? Maybe it'll show up on Hulu now that it has an R1 license. Not sure if it will be available to Crunchyroll at all (probably not in North America at least).
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
There's a reason why Viz has survived for this long. Just wow!

I'm guessing this means that we could see some Sailor Moon Crystal DVD's state-side. Maybe even at the local Walmart like how I see Bleach, Naruto & Ranma 1/2 there sometimes Surprised

Heh, people say that anime hit its popularity stride back in the 90's, but I honestly don't think it's "really" hit the mainstream just yet. Until anime episodes are talked about around the water-cooler like Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad or Marvel!Verse stuff, then we'll haven't hit it "big" just yet Laughing

Either way I'm totally hyped!!!
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Wow, did not see Viz coming. Well done Viz!
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty amazed VIZ managed to get both the original and this. Thought FUNi was definitely gonna get this going off of how they've said they tried very hard to try and obtain the original. Not that it really matters. It's licensed!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
DigitalFowl wrote:

A license grab like this without that piece of information is, apologies for bluntness, completely useless to me.

Let me know where, when and for how much so I can make SURE I can ACTUALLY watch this.

It says Niconico in the article. And who knows? Maybe it'll show up on Hulu now that it has an R1 license. Not sure if it will be available to Crunchyroll at all (probably not in North America at least).

Its already been confirmed that Sailor Moon Crystal will be streaming on Hulu.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:

I'm guessing this means that we could see some Sailor Moon Crystal DVD's state-side. Maybe even at the local Walmart like how I see Bleach, Naruto & Ranma 1/2 there sometimes Surprised

If they're still doing that im sure Wal-Mart will sell it. I see new viz stuff there uaually. Zetman, lagrange, accel world, nura, pokemon and right now ranma and the 3rd berserk movie.

In any case this is cool news.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Yay! But viz? that was random.
So does this mean that we will see this on cartoon network? It's already going to get them a lot of money but if its actually on tv....
Thank god we have the manga and anime back in the US now! Rejoice!
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Wow, between this and the original, Viz could make more money than the Pope. If it gets a dub, as I presume that it will, I expect that they'll use the same cast as for their new dub for the classic series. That could make for an interesting contrast depending upon what Sailor Moon Crystal is like.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Sweet Viz is realy on the ball this time

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Asrialys wrote:
DigitalFowl wrote:

Its already been confirmed that Sailor Moon Crystal will be streaming on Hulu.

No... It's being streamed on NicoNico.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Simulcast it at Anime Expo, VIZ!

It won't be a simulcast. It's airing July 5th 7pm Japan time. That's July 5th 3am Pacific. They could easily show it later that same day on July 5th at Anime Expo though. And they should.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, I was almost 100% sure Funimation would've gotten this.

I guess Viz likes to remind people they exist every now and again.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Was NOT expecting Viz, of all people, to get not only the hallowed original Sailor Moon license, but the big new series, as well (their experience with manga and other big global properties played a role?)?! Very good for them, and I'm glad to see someone other than FUNimation and Sentai (to a lesser extent) get a big notable title, particularly with its legacy. Viz should be pretty set money-wise for while… Laughing

(And to think that they furloughed Neon Alley before this (or because of…). SM could have moved a few more subscriptions…)

well i was under the assumption that Sentai would have gotten the license. or probably funi. cause i could have easily have seen miss bailey or carrie savage as usagi (considering how much an air head usagi is,its quite similar to sana from kodocha as well as myu from kenichi) , luci christian as makoto & steaphnie young as pluto and mignona as mamoru.

oh well. though i wonder what voice studio they would use? depending on that will determine what VA would be brought in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
If it gets a dub, as I presume that it will, I expect that they'll use the same cast as for their new dub for the classic series. That could make for an interesting contrast depending upon what Sailor Moon Crystal is like.

Has Viz any history with dubbing in Toronto? The old show was done in Toronto, and at this point Crystal can get dubbed anywhere. Though it seems like all shows recorded in Toronto nowadays are usually Canadian-produced.

In any case, it's nice to see an anime that's guaranteed not to have a Texas dub.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
If it gets a dub, as I presume that it will, I expect that they'll use the same cast as for their new dub for the classic series. That could make for an interesting contrast depending upon what Sailor Moon Crystal is like.

Has Viz any history with dubbing in Toronto? The old show was done in Toronto, and at this point Crystal can get dubbed anywhere. Though it seems like all shows recorded in Toronto nowadays are usually Canadian-produced.

In any case, it's nice to see an anime that's guaranteed not to have a Texas dub.

well not exactely. mostly any dub they get from any studio from canada is from vancouver's ocean studios and its parent affiliate The Ocean Group. however they do have some other sister studios in toronto so it might have been possible.

however they said that the dubbing will be done in LA so the chances of that happening are slim to none.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4