• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Exclusive Interview: Viz Media's Charlene Ingram and Josh Lopez on Sailor Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I hope Viz likes my money, because they're going to get a lot of it. I'm elated to finally be able to retire the old ADV and Pioneer sets. They've had a nice long run in my collection, but it's time to have a not-half-assed Sailor Moon box set (or 5) on my shelf.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
VIZ Media ‏@VIZMedia 2h

@Darkshawol @SMObss We can't release the trade secrets, but technology has come a long way.

"Trade secrets" they say, like they're Disney or something.

It's just a shitty QTEC-esque upscale. Can't you admit it? There are no HD materials that exist and you can't just summon some magical technology that turns old DVD quality into 1080p that looks presentable.

Why the rush to BD when you're clearly woefully unprepared anyway? Why not wait for the film materials and do a proper job on it? Sailor Moon fans have already waited this long, they can wait another year or so for something that isn't a rushed hackjob. If you want to be like FUNimation and literally vomit out something as disgusting and putrid as their recent DBZ "BluRays", go ahead, but I would hope Sailor Moon fans are more discerning about when they're being bullshited and cheated and call you out on it. Don't throw away any goodwill you've built up by not screwing up on Ranma's release.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
It's a long article, I assume the line "Yeah, it'll look much better on Hulu in HD than it does on DVD", about 3 questions under the picture comparisons is a typo?

Quote:
One of the things about the previous dub is that there were so many cast changes throughout that there's no one Sailor Moon, there's almost no "one" of anybody.

There's actually quite a few "ones", I can think of off the top of my head (Jupiter, Luna, Rei, Mina, Artemis) And there is definitely a "one Sailor Moon".

Last edited by LUNI_TUNZ on Fri May 16, 2014 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
It's a long article, I assume the line "Yeah, it'll look much better on Hulu in HD than it does on DVD", about 3 questions under the picture comparisons is a typo?

Nope. Hulu HD is higher resolution than DVD.
nottimkai

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
AAAAAH! AAAAH! AAAAAAAH!

Sorry. Sailor moon was my first "Anime I was aware was anime". It was my one 'VHS Fansub' acquisition. Sailor Moon was something that was discussed frequently in the Anime Club I created at my High School, especially how Stars would never be released, COULD never be released, it just couldn't be done! INCONCEIVABLE!!

This news. This news, man!

Absolutely the first I've heard it! Excuse me while I have a heart attack!

*gasp* Take *choke* My *wheeze* Money *chumblespuzz*

... I'm 30 now. I was 15 or 16 when I discovered Sailor Moon. Jesus.

I could be depressed about how much of a freaking stereotype I am, or I could just own it and feel happy about this news. I'll go with choice number two.

Good interview, Zac!
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
I'm excited just like everyone else. But the whole "Sailor Guardian" thing worries me if that's what they're using for the original anime.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
rainbowrabbit wrote:
I'm excited just like everyone else. But the whole "Sailor Guardian" thing worries me if that's what they're using for the original anime.

The name Sailor Guardian has actually been used for a while now, especially in the new Kodansha edition rerelease of the manga. IIRC replacing the "guardian" for "soldier" was was translation change that was approved by Naoko Takeuchi.

As for the new dub, hellz yes! I remember watching Sailor Moon on TV when I was young, and never really cared that much for the DiC or Cloverway dubs. But now I'm curious what the new voices will sound like. Luna in English to me always sounded like a British school teacher so this time maybe they'll find someone who has a voice closer to her Japanese VA, and it'll definitely be interesting to hear Zoicite with a male voice in English.
kazume

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:44 am Reply with quote
So 10 years later we're finally getting all 200 episodes + the movies uncut and new dubbed and in glorious restored form..

Well damn, there goes my money for the next 5 years, but every penny will be worth it.

In addition to the Cardcaptor Sakura re-release from NIS and that one costing me around 175-220 bucks I been reading all over the place... and damn it man... I'll probably have to "work both sides of the street" to pay for all of this...

&^%$ it, the wallet can recover later on life support... bring on the classics ^ ^
SailorDJ

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:01 am Reply with quote
kazume wrote:
So 10 years later we're finally getting all 200 episodes + the movies uncut and new dubbed and in glorious restored form..

Well damn, there goes my money for the next 5 years, but every penny will be worth it.

In addition to the Cardcaptor Sakura re-release from NIS and that one costing me around 175-220 bucks I been reading all over the place... and damn it man... I'll probably have to "work both sides of the street" to pay for all of this...

&^%$ it, the wallet can recover later on life support... bring on the classics ^ ^

Don't forget the specials!

I'm going to have to start saving my money now. Very Happy
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:22 am Reply with quote
Not really a fan of the franchise, but from a technical standpoint, I'm very impressed by the remastering efforts. Kudos to Viz for being the anti-FUNimation.

The Interview wrote:
Charlene: You don't have to worry about any fake-widescreen, it's in a fully uncropped pillarbox, all the original colors are preserved, and a lot of care was taken to go along with our official style guides and official materials to make sure all of the colors are the way they were intended to be.

I'd like to buy you a platonic cup of coffee Very Happy.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:35 am Reply with quote

Couldn't have said it better myself, Lugnut. :D
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And Tuxedo Mask! I think our fans are going to be very pleased with who has been chosen by us and our licensor.

The perfect voice for Tuxedo Mask? Hmm, who would be a good pick for a dude in twenties in a sexual relationship with a 13 year old girl... I've got it!

Sailor Moon is both the best and worst thing to happen to American fandom, best because it inspired and created a wonderful legion of fans that greatly added to the diversity of the fanbase, but also the worst because it caused this cult-like attitdue to a show that is frankly mediocre at best. Of all the dozen or so Mahou Shoujo girl anime back in the ninties, Sailor Moon is probably the worst. And it is horribly Un-Feminist*. Usagi is the leader and heroine not because of talent or skill but because she's a aristrocrat. When she gets into fights she runs around incompently (when she is not crying her eyes out) despite her massive magical powers, until her man shows up and basically defeats the enemy for her. She has no interest in careers or education, instead her dream is one of domestic servitude, marrying another aristrocrat to be his baby machine. No to mention that Mamoru is almost a decade older than her, which is really creepy. And she runs around in a costume designed more to appeal to the male gaze that to be a functional combat attire. In terms of female empowerment, Sailor Moon is a dismal failure--the sad thing is that is was the most feminist cartoon the West had seen up to it's point in time.

That critisism is overly harsh, but I feel I must counterbalance the irrational exuberatance driven from nostalgia. The third season is good. The Promise of the Rose movie is a quality work. The franchise is better than a lot of crap that gets made today. But it doesn't even deserve to be mentioned on in the same breath as Cardcaptor Sakura.

*The final season, Sailor Moon Stars, does do a relatively good job in developing Usagi into a strong, indepentant woman, by removing her crutch Mamoru by spoiler[killing him off] and forcing her to stand on her own. This final season also never aired in America, probably because the introduction of a rival group of hermaphrodite sailor soldiers, and we can't have the children seeing that!

Fun Fact: When I was in Berlin a couple of months ago, I discovered that they air Salior Moon reruns on basic cable. The voice of German Sailor Jupiter will haunt by dreams forever. German is a silly language
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
So, it sounds like the approach to the new dub will be analogous to how ADV re-adapted the original Macross TV series. Interesting...

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Sat May 17, 2014 9:50 am; edited 5 times in total
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

The perfect voice for Tuxedo Mask? Hmm, who would be a good pick for a dude in twenties in a sexual relationship with a 13 year old girl... I've got it!

Mamoru isn't in his twenties. He's only 17 in the manga, although the anime decided to make him 19 for some reason (which is kinda creepy, I'll admit.)
Quark

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Melanchthon wrote:

Mamoru isn't in his twenties. He's only 17 in the manga, although the anime decided to make him 19 for some reason (which is kinda creepy, I'll admit.)

And Usagi is 14. Chris Hansen would still be pulling Mamoru aside to have a seat, but it's not the near-decade age difference that it was made out to be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10