• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Exclusive Interview: Viz Media's Charlene Ingram and Josh Lopez on Sailor Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Of all the dozen or so Mahou Shoujo girl anime back in the ninties, Sailor Moon is probably the worst. And it is horribly Un-Feminist*. Usagi is the leader and heroine not because of talent or skill but because she's a aristrocrat.

I would assume that Usagi has no talent or skill for the same reason that Naruto has no talent or skill. Because MOST kids between the ages of 8 and 15 (the target demo) feel they have no real talent or skill (as compared to either their peers or the one kid that stands out in the class). You're not SUPPOSED to "idolize" those characters, who're supposed to see yourself in them so that when they succeed you realize you can also. (it's pretty formulaic on the male side, I can name 20 "boy" characters that are exactly the same way aside from being "former nobility", but preteen girls like that fantasy aspect vs. boys just liking the super powers/beat-em-up aspect)

I'd also note that your "anti-feminist" perspective seems to be searching for something to criticize (IMO) when you consider the show only really has ONE male "hero" (Tuxedo Mask) and he is CONSTANTLY playing "dude in distress" once the show gets going. And instead has about TEN heroines MOST of whom are hyper-competent and who even lampshade your criticisms of Usagi. (Chibi-Usa especially constantly makes note of Usagi's issues)
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Why the rush to BD when you're clearly woefully unprepared anyway? Why not wait for the film materials and do a proper job on it? Sailor Moon fans have already waited this long, they can wait another year or so for something that isn't a rushed hackjob.

While I do understand your position and want those BD's to look amazing, this interview has calmed some of my fears of how Viz Media is handling the video upgrade/upscale. I am willing to give Viz the benefit of the doubt and believe that their re-release will at least look better than the old DVD releases.

I will be disappointed if the video in the BD's looks just good, but not great. But I think I can live with that, especially if all the 200 episodes only cost me $350-400.
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
mangaka-chan wrote:
rainbowrabbit wrote:
I'm excited just like everyone else. But the whole "Sailor Guardian" thing worries me if that's what they're using for the original anime.

The name Sailor Guardian has actually been used for a while now, especially in the new Kodansha edition rerelease of the manga. IIRC replacing the "guardian" for "soldier" was was translation change that was approved by Naoko Takeuchi.

I'm fully aware of that. But those books also contained translations such as "Spark Ring Wide Pressure" and "Champion of justice." There was also censorship at times. So we don't really know the extent of what was approved by her. Can you offer proof that she specifically said she approved "guardian" in the rerelease?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
rainbowrabbit wrote:

I'm fully aware of that. But those books also contained translations such as "Spark Ring Wide Pressure" and "Champion of justice." There was also censorship at times. So we don't really know the extent of what was approved by her. Can you offer proof that she specifically said she approved "guardian" in the rerelease?

Maybe this isn't common knowledge or something but Takeuchi controls Sailor Moon with an iron fist. There is nothing in that Kodansha release that she didn't approve, I can guarantee you that.

If 15 years worth of stories about Takeuchi's legendarily tight leash on this franchise ain't enough proof for you then fine, but that's how it is and how it's always been. Viz is sending stuff for this release directly to her for approval, as is stated in the interview.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

If 15 years worth of stories about Takeuchi's legendarily tight leash on this franchise ain't enough proof for you then fine, but that's how it is and how it's always been. Viz is sending stuff for this release directly to her for approval, as is stated in the interview.

Not only that, she is hand picking the VA cast personally.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Yes, as raised in the interview:
Quote:
Josh: It's fantastic actually, some of our approvals go directly to the creators of the show as well.

Charlene: Yeah, quite a few.

Yeah. I don't think anybody who knows the backstory of all this is surprised by that.

Charlene: Even though it makes for a longer lead time, it's actually very heartwarming to me that the upper echelon of a title really cares about the other versions of it.

Well yeah, you just get to spend the rest of your life living in fear of the creator!

And adroitly and diplomatically answered by the licensee:
Quote:
Charlene: They know their show, they know what they want, they have the vision. That's all it is. ...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
does this mean that viz also licensed both the new and the tv series from the 90's?

it would definitely make my day if they were able to pull that off especially if they were able to finally get Toei to allow a US license of the Stars series.

Did you read the article?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
While I do understand your position and want those BD's to look amazing, this interview has calmed some of my fears of how Viz Media is handling the video upgrade/upscale. I am willing to give Viz the benefit of the doubt and believe that their re-release will at least look better than the old DVD releases.

I will be disappointed if the video in the BD's looks just good, but not great. But I think I can live with that, especially if all the 200 episodes only cost me $350-400.

There's no way the BDs will be of good HD quality if they're not working with a new film transfer, so just buy the new DVDs to save yourself from disappointment. They're not even going to look 'good', they'll look like bad QTEC upscales: overfiltered and overbrightened. I know there's many people who are unable or refuse to notice defects, which is how FUNi was able to get away with their DBZ release, but this is following in rather close.

I'll use the example of Project A-ko and it having no film source to make a new HD master, it'd be like Discotek releasing a BluRay of what they have now. Would that be worth buying? Or how about the actual Interstella BD which was worse than the DVD?
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

There's no way the BDs will be of good HD quality if they're not working with a new film transfer, so just buy the new DVDs to save yourself from disappointment.

Except the only thing they're going to be selling is Blu-ray/DVD combo packs, so like it or not, if you're planning to buy this rerelease, you're buying the Blu-rays. Razz
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
That's a waste. And watch, early next year Toei announces their BD releases made from the original film negatives.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
That's a waste. And watch, early next year Toei announces their BD releases made from the original film negatives.

That is the risk. But if you ask me, I do not trust Toei to remaster Sailor Moon any time soon. And even if they did, it is Toei: the lazy anime company (at least this is my subjective impression). Just because Toei has the original film negatives does not mean they will automatically create a wonderful, new HD master.

I will stick with Viz's BD release and trust that they will hire someone capable, like Justin Sevakis, to handle the video upgrade/upscale.
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
rainbowrabbit wrote:

Maybe this isn't common knowledge or something but Takeuchi controls Sailor Moon with an iron fist. There is nothing in that Kodansha release that she didn't approve, I can guarantee you that.

Well, that was a pretty rude response. And seeing as how my first sentence was, "I'm fully aware of that," it should've been an indication that I knew about how protective she was of the series. I'm just going to drop this because I'm not going to let anyone piss me off today.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To anyone who's like "Well I already have all of that, I'm just gonna wait for Sailor Stars," I would say "No, please consider getting all of it just to see that true translation, uncut, with that really nice picture quality, consistent cast, everything."

Yeah, don't be like these bitches. Cool
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Cryssoberyl wrote:
Except the only thing they're going to be selling is Blu-ray/DVD combo packs, so like it or not, if you're planning to buy this rerelease, you're buying the Blu-rays. Razz

Not according to the interview:

Charlene wrote:
There's going to be a combo pack that will be the limited edition, but there will also be the DVD version accessible to more mass-market retailers, that's going to be positioned for new fans that might not know anime.
merr

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Charlene: Speaking of the recording, the really cool thing about the cast, when Josh was casting all the Sailor Guardians, because it is a very musical series, he wanted to make sure that all the Sailor Guardians, should the need arise--

Josh: --could sing.

Charlene: Yeah, they all had to have pipes on them. All of our key girls that sing a lot, just wow. They are good singers. Sends little chills up my spine.

This is intriguing. Are they hinting at the songs being dubbed? Rei and Minako definitely sing in the show, but I can't remember if any of the other girls ever do. Maybe we'll be getting an official English version of the Tuxedo Mirage ED.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10