• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Late Night Chaos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Even if it didn't define the genre, Precure has been the face of magical girls for over a decade in Japan. That has to count for something.

Precure defined it in the sense that it took Sailor Moon's sentai tropes and perfected it. Which itself took Cutey Honey's toku tropes and restructured it. Now, like sentai, they have new characters each year in new series. They have crossover movies and normal movies. Where as Sailor Moon was aping sentai tropes, Pretty Cure may as well be a sentai. The current series goes even further by implementing form changes like Kamen Riders have been doing. The fact it airs on the same block as Kamen Rider and Super Sentai just cements that fact.

Precure IS magical girl, as far as everyone is concerned. It's already eclipsed Sailor Moon in popularity. Just look at how half-assed Toei is treating Crystal. They know Pretty Cure is where the real money is at
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
lkmjr wrote:
I have mixed feelings about the lack of Precure on western TV and streaming. On one hand, it would be wonderful if little American girls could experience Precure and love it the way I loved Sailor Moon as a little girl. On the other, Precure already has more than its fair share of creepy fans and I want to keep as much distance between it and the culture that produced Bronies as possible.

Then stop watching it, because Precure has ALWAYS been laser-aimed at 20-30-year-old men as well as little girls.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Precure IS magical girl, as far as everyone is concerned. It's already eclipsed Sailor Moon in popularity. Just look at how half-assed Toei is treating Crystal. They know Pretty Cure is where the real money is at

Sailor Moon is 20 years old. No surprise that little girls of today are more interested in a new series.

Crystal is nostalgia-mining like Dragon Ball Kai or Yamato 2199.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Crystal is nostalgia-mining like Dragon Ball Kai or Yamato 2199.

2199 managed to improve upon a series, a very rare feat. It's definitely in line with the rest of the Yamato revival over the last few years, but they've been putting effort into the writing and construction of the series.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Orrrrr it's just that otaku have godawful tastes, so there's a much better chance for shows not laser-focused on them as an audience to have decent writing and characterization.

There's nothing more laser focused than only liking anime about Caucasians and still clinging to a show that aired 20 years ago and refusing to let it's lifeless corpse rest in peace already.

Otaku have way more diverse taste in anime than Americans do, I can tell you that for a fact. Shows ranging from Attack on Titan to Bakemonogatari can be huge hits. From action to comedy, and being set in Japan or being set in Anglo-Saxon countries. Anything can be a hit in Japan. Not so much here though.

Yes it's all about the race of the characters, and has absolutely nothing to do with good writing or direction. And you're the one that's thinking of that particular show, not me.

But seriously, any sub-group that raises something as dire as Sword Art Online to the level of a massive hit has more than earned the right to have their tastes blissfully ignored.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Most of the time it's there to mortify and shock and be scandalous and wrong, and not in an "ooo this is so wrong tee hee sexxxy!" way. ...

Yeah, the Game of Thrones background is the dynasty that rode to power on back of their power to control dragons, which had a royal family tree that failed to branch for a number of generations, also had a number of mad Kings, including the one that was going to burn up everyone in Kings Landing, and it was not just the declining size of their dragons but also the Mad Tygerian King which got the dynasty overthrow going and provided the background for the bloody plotlines of the current generation.

Not really a strong "yeah for incest" talking point there.

TitanXL wrote:
Precure defined it in the sense that it took Sailor Moon's sentai tropes and perfected it.

Genre refining then, if not genre defining.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I hope Monster Musume gets an anime. It may just be contrived harem like the hundreds of others, but there's so much you can do with mythical characters.
Megabyte117

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
RokugoPeachMoon wrote:
Jave wrote:
Dunno how an anime can to 'too anime' Maybe a better word is 'too Japanese' Laughing Seems like all those hits in America are anime that features a Caucasian setting instead of a Japanese one. Bebop, Titan, Trigun. Seems like a case of ethnocentrism or xenophobia in play in what show can find mainstream success here.

Oh it is, which I find hilarious, considering that these shows are made with a JAPANESE audience in mind.

Calling it "xenopohbia" is a tad excessive, I believe. American audiences may just have different tastes, and the humor or plot devices utilized in certain anime may simply not appeal to those viewers. I can't blame them, considering an extraordinary amount of anime include excessive fan service or zany Japanese humor. Japanese audiences similarly have different preferences, as I recall "The Dark Knight" performing (especially) poorly in Japan.

But hey, let's just bash on America, because that's easy.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I for one like Irregular At Magical High School but am also aware of it's flaws Tatsyua (the protagonist) is an absurdly over powered wish-fulfillment character, I won't deny that, yet from an animation perspective I find it enjoyable especially the battle sequences.

While there is an obvious message to the series that could be construed as Objectvist, I think it's over stated by some and is used by some as a way to “poison the well” against the series I can't know someone's intentions but this isn’t Angel Cop we're talking about here.

Also for what it's worth most of the people on 4chan when it's brought up go on and on about how much they hate it well that and how much they want to “do one of the female cast members but it's 4chan so that's to be expected

Also I don't really agree with it's message in some ways but I can also see how it could be a really hacky way of using the old Shonen Manga tropes of hard work and endurance.

Mostly I ignore the techno-bable about magi-tech and attempts at societal commentary also the secondary cast is pretty interesting but when the show's MC has all the charisma of a plank of wood that's not saying much.

I also don't think it's the worst thing this season I have more problems with a series like No Game No Life than I do Irregular At Magical High School mostly due to Sora's treatment of Stephanie .

Also it was nice to hear Mike have something nice to say about Coffin Princess also the Chaka's stilted use of “common” makes me happy as a long term D&D player it's simply a nice little nod. I was a little worried it would have ended up like a re-tread of Scrapped Princess but looks like that's thankfully being avoided.

I have to agree with Zac monster girls will be the next big thing more than likely given the extremely strong sales of Monster Musume which as a guy who per-ordered volume three of the series I helped contribute to that number one spot don't know whither I should be proud of that or not LOL.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I figured I would give some random commentary on some of the cartoons that were discussed:

Bob's Burgers
I have not really been that impressed with Bob's Burgers, generally. It feels like The Simpsons but without a straight man, which to be honest, is a major negative. If The Simpsons didn't have the Lisa character, the show would just be a never-ending stream of one-liners, come-backs, and goofball/off-the-wall comments. That is what Bob's Burgers is.

That's not to say that I have never seen a good episode of Bob's Burgers. There have been a few that made me laugh, like for example, the episode with the cow standing outside the store and PETA-types protesting Bob. That was a funny episode. However, I just feel like the show has very little, if any restraint, which is generally the role filled by the straight man. Therefore, it has to be funny every single second of every episode to be succeeding, and that is simply not the case.

Rick and Morty
I haven't seen a lot of episodes - I think maybe 2. I wasn't expecting to like the show because the art style seems very crude and almost offensive to the senses. However, the characters do seem to be utilized in a very smart way and the writing was pretty great in those two. The two episodes I remember seeing were the one with Morty's alien kid, and the one where Rick screws with Summer's devil-friend. The latter, in particular, was ingenious. The episode started off with a fantastic parody of the common trope of the "mystical shop of cursed items," and then somehow transitioned into an equally effective parody of internet start-ups. That was enough to engage me intellectually, but then the writers took a sudden hilarious twist toward the end and capped it off with pure comic violence. Somehow, it all just worked brilliantly. I don't know if every episode is so inventive, maybe Zac can speak more to that, but if it is then maybe I really should be watching this show more often.

Boondocks
I have watched most of the prior seasons, but probably not every episode. The show is very hit or miss. Some episodes have fantastic social commentary, such as the MLK episode and pretty much all of the episodes involving the white gangsta kid (that character is particularly outstanding). Some episodes just sort of languish in some of the more immature aspects of modern hip-hop/rap culture, and fail to be funny. I'm curious to see how the show fares without McGruder.

Regular Show
This is probably my favorite American cartoon on TV right now. The show is consistently hilarious and works on so many levels. First of all, the fact that the two main leads are both animals and somehow most of the rest of the world appears to be humans, and yet this is NEVER explained or commented upon, somehow it just makes the whole thing so surreal that it feels like nothing is really absurd in their universe. There are a bunch of other weird characters at the park, like their gumball machine boss and yeti-ish and ghostly coworkers, and the bizarre natures of these characters also adds to the surreal aspect of the show.

The jokes in Regular Show also do seem to rely heavily on 90s and 80s nostalgia, and often contrast that nostalgia with modern innovations. This often gets stressed in episodes where the park management is trying to update their 80s/90s technology to modern stuff and the characters engage in hilarious misadventures as a result. Personally, I love 80s/90s jokes. Each of those periods involved all kinds of bizarre experimentation and excesses in American culture, which are VERY effectively satirized in Regular Show. I also just love how they exaggerate pop-culture references into sort of mystical, world-changing devices which takes them in a completely different direction than a show like Family Guy, which is much more Seinfeldian in how it approaches pop-culture.

There are a lot of other great things I could say about Regular Show, but it's such an off-the-wall comedy that you just have to watch it to enjoy it. I've pretty much never been disappointed by it though.

Korra
I agree somewhat with Hope as far as the first season being pretty bad. The second season was much better though IMO, and the build up to the finale and the finale itself were quite good I think. The problem with some of the early episodes of Korra was twofold in my opinion.

(1) Korra's brashness and overconfidence came across VERY poorly in comparison to Aang's humility and innocence.
(2) The show lost almost all of the epic level narrative that existed in the original Avatar series. Season 1 of Korra was essentially a political/human rights story taking place mostly in a couple unimaginative locales, whereas Aang's story was a story about worldwide conflict which spanned the entire globe. There was just so much more going on universally in Aang's story, so Korra's seems incredibly small by comparison.

I do think season 2 of Korra was much better about making the threat more of a world-wide threat, and the different locations that the characters traveled to were much more imaginative and inspiring than season 1. Also, they considerably toned down Korra's confidence in season 2, which made her a more relatable and likeable character. I don't think you can lump both seasons together. I agree with Hope on season 1, but not on season 2.

Steven Universe
I've watched maybe 4 or 5 episodes. I think it is a fun and unique show in taking a young male character and putting him right smack in the middle of a female oriented type of show, though it isn't the first to do so. I think it might have been somewhat preempted by Shezow in that respect, and to be honest I can't necessarily say that Steven Universe is THAT much better than Shezow. I think my main issue with Steven Universe is probably that the Steven character feels like the same character that exists in a LOT of recent Cartoon Network original shows, whether it's Finn from Adventure Time, Ed/Edd/Eddy, Billy from Grim and Evil, Coop from Megas XLR, Adam Lion from My Gym Partner's a Monkey, Flapjack from Misadventures of Flapjack, Gumball from Amazing Adventures of Gumball, and possibly Clarence, which has yet to come out.

Most of these characters have similar attributes: they are generally sort of hyperactive and/or goofy oddballs, often sort of pudgy, and have kind of obnoxious obsessions. The main outliers that we've seen in recent CN shows have probably been Ben from Ben 10, Rex from Generator Rex, and the characters from Symbiotic Titan, all of whom are probably more comparable to usual anime shounen heroes. I am not saying that they necessarily had to make Steven like one of them, but I don't know, I just feel like his character type is some kind of old mainstay on Cartoon Network. Maybe he would have been a more compelling character for me if they'd made him like Haruyuki from Accel World for example. Yea, I suppose Steven Universe is supposed to be more comedic, but there's still enough action in the show to support more serious plots.

Don't get me wrong, I do think Steven Universe is a pretty good show, but best American animated show? I can't be down with that.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Thank you to whoever got Hope to talk about Angel Beats! Even in its compromised form, there's much to enjoy and reflect on in this series.
RokugoPeachMoon

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
But seriously, any sub-group that raises something as dire as Sword Art Online to the level of a massive hit has more than earned the right to have their tastes blissfully ignored.

Yeah......Implying that you have superior tastes over others who like shows that you don't is a fool's errand and only makes you look condescending and petty.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I no longer use twitter or I'd tweet this at Mike O'Toole directly: the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston will be showing Patema Inverted this weekend at their International Childrens Film Festival:

http://www.mfa.org/programs/series/boston-international-children’s-film-festival

mid-day showings, mostly.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
The segment on Mahoka was foolish, seriously, Randian? The best part was when Mahoka was taken to task for incestuous innuendo followed by singing the praises of the show with the gothic loli. At least we know where you guys stand fetish-wise. That said, I always enjoy listening to the podcast, keep up the good work.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
RokugoPeachMoon wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Yeah......Implying that you have superior tastes over others who like shows that you don't is a fool's errand and only makes you look condescending and petty.

I'd agree with you if it was just a matter of pure tastes, but when one can point out glaring objective deficiencies in the world-building or plot progression or what-have-you, it moves somewhat beyond that. Some people may be willing to overlook such issues, but I prefer holding my entertainment to some basic standards of quality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4