• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: World Is Still Beautiful Episodes 1 - 6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spleen

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:26 am Reply with quote
I forgot to mention the only flaw with this show, which is THAT BLOODY SONG. Convention says that if you need a female to sing a song that is superhumanly beautiful, you use some wordless chanting or operatic aria. (Something like the very beginning of this.) Instead, we have a really crap J-pop song. Why??

The trouble is that it does actually detract from the show, because you know it's coming at one point in the episode. It's like watching TV while someone holds a string connected to a loose tooth in your mouth that you know he's going to pull out at a random moment. You can't properly relax into it until the bloody woman has got her rendition of "Itch A Ten Derray" out of the way.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:28 am Reply with quote
mangaka-chan wrote:

The thing I'm not comfortable with in the anime is the ED. What compelled the animators to do a back nude shot of Livi, I have no idea, but I was not ready for that when I watched the first episode. It reminded me of when I watched the 1968 Zeffirelli Romeo and Juliet movie back in high school. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

With a name like Olivia Hussey, how could ya not be reminded!
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:46 am Reply with quote
Spleen wrote:
Arguing over whether he's 12 or 15 is missing the point, frankly. Even allowing for artistic licence, he's far too short and undeveloped to be 15 (he claims at one point that he'll grow to Nike's height, although this could be ironic wishful thinking) and far too mature to be 12. The ambiguity is deliberate, IMO.

Of course it's deliberate. But it makes a hell of a lot of difference in people's comfort levels with aspects of the anime, which is the entire point of these conversations.

Biologically speaking, he's really not too short (short guys can't be adults?) or underdeveloped for 15, especially in a historical context when puberty began later than it does these days. His voice has obviously changed. He just hasn't gained height, which may or may not happen.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:49 am Reply with quote
Spleen wrote:

Arguing over whether he's 12 or 15 is missing the point, frankly. Even allowing for artistic licence, he's far too short and undeveloped to be 15 (he claims at one point that he'll grow to Nike's height, although this could be ironic wishful thinking) and far too mature to be 12. The ambiguity is deliberate, IMO.

I think most of us would agree that the ambiguity is deliberate. The question is about whether or not that ambiguity is good or bad for the show, combined with the other aspects (particularly the strong-armed sexualization of him). I went through a whole explanation of my position on this in the series thread, but I'll summarize by saying that I think the writing is manipulating the audience as far as indicating him to be an 11/12 year old shota, while at the same time saying "but don't worry, he's not really one." Then they put him in expressly sexual situations. The mixed messages is one thing - I think if they want to have a shota they should just have a shota, and stop beating around the bush. Secondly though, I generally feel like aggressive/crude sexualization of shota and loli characters often detracts from the character and turns them into a tool for pandering. Honestly, I don't think the pandering is necessary either. I think it's more interesting when we see them as a great character, rather than having the author emphasize to us how much they want to get in someone's pants, or vice versa.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:13 am Reply with quote
Nemui_Nezumi wrote:

wait wait, seriously?? can you link me to the source or tell me which editorial picked up the manga??

Rumor (and the ANN Encyclopedia) have it picked up by Carabas, but having combed through the news, I'm starting to think that there was a mix-up...Carabas' website seems to no longer exist. Crying or Very sad I'll keep looking, though, and if you find anything, let's keep each other posted!
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:12 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Rumor (and the ANN Encyclopedia) have it picked up by Carabas, but having combed through the news, I'm starting to think that there was a mix-up...Carabas' website seems to no longer exist. Crying or Very sad I'll keep looking, though, and if you find anything, let's keep each other posted!

I searched a bit with the new info you gave me but I couldn't find anything... :/

uhm, maybe they will announce it in the future and that's why we can't seem to find anything now? I hope so...if not well japanese version wait for me I guess .P
meiam

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:51 am Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
Ah, the first episode is anime original. It wasn't in the manga at all.

Wow that explain so much, I thought the first episode was really good, aside from introducing a bunch of pointless character, it really sold me on the show. Then episode 2 happen and it revealed itself for just another "lover who don't love each others but are force together (even though they can leave whenever they want) and fall in love despite having no chemistry or shared interest". Bait and switch.

I kinda have to wonder if the reaction would have been the same if the gender of the two main character had been reversed, as far as age is concerned.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Nike and Livius slowly come to like each other...

Quote:
Livius and Nike are slowly becoming more and more fond of each other...

Ah, if only those two statements were true. That's one (of three) major problems I have with this show (which I continue to basically like, thanks almost entirely to the character of Nike).

The pacing of their relationship seems way off. As early as episode 3, they are showing heavy signs of being well on the path to liking each other. It isn't long after that spoiler[some random adorable orphan waif is burbling to Nike about how the King told her how important Nike is to him], etc, etc.

I like the cold, ruthless leader being beguiled by the plucky princess/nanny/commoner/whatevs paradigm but it has to be serviced properly and this show is rushing it, imo.

I have a hard time investing in the couple since he is so obviously child-sized compared to her which becomes quite stark when the two are shown in a long shot. I don't have any problem with shota fanservice but it just makes it impossible for me to take Livius seriously as a love match for Nike.

And like Rebecca has already pointed out, there seems to be very little narrative drive propelling the story forward.

Still, the show has its charms (i.e. Nike) so I continue to watch.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:40 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Still, the show has its charms (i.e. Nike) so I continue to watch.

I'm in the same boat.

On top of that I'm always somewhat amused (and annoyed at the same time!) by the endless parades of forum posters that feel compelled to write words like "disturbing" and "awkward" when talking about and 11 year old and a 18 year old being "married."

When in fact those two fictional characters have a remarkably healthy relationship given the circumstances. It started as a political arrangement but they each relate to each other in ways that nobody else could for them. As Blood- pointed out it was a bit rushed but at least it seems to have a realistic (again, for the circumstances) basis. Obviously Nike is something to a stand in for Livius' lost mother but it is debatable to what extent and in any case how many times have you read that men choose women that have some aspect of their mothers? So in that regard this cannot even be regarded as a "Oedipal complex" story as has been suggested. At least no more than any romance could be.

As for Livius' naked butt in the ED: so what? Nudity happens all the time in anime and results in either a positive or negative effect depending on the intent and skill of the director. In this case, you could say that it provides some reflection of Livius' personality of self confidence and native sensuality. Or you could (as most people seem to think) that it is just fan service that will cause 10,000 additional unit sales to some demographic that is vapid enough to buy it for that. Either way what's the big deal.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

On top of that I'm always somewhat amused (and annoyed at the same time!) by the endless parades of forum posters that feel compelled to write words like "disturbing" and "awkward" when talking about and 11 year old and a 18 year old being "married."

I don't think there's been an "endless parade" of people upset about such a marriage. The vast majority of commentary about mr. young king's age has been directed at his sexualization and innuendo, not the mere fact that he is to be married to Nike. Additionally, even the commentary about their relationship has often been in the context of scenes involving him made into some kind of sex object, whether we are talking about him sleeping naked in her bed, demanding (or taking) kisses from her, or his "passion" for her, so to speak... (then there was also the scene where he said he would make her into his play thing). The whole issue with him casually strolling about ass naked in the ED certainly stresses the objectification of him as a sexual goal for Nike (and through her, the author/audience).

Their relationship is intriguing, but I think the writing has soured it a bit by taking it so fast (as Blood- noted) and by being a bit crude and forceful with the shota pandering. Why not just make him a shota, focus on the development of him and Nike and their relationship, and leave out the heavy handed pandering stuff? Wouldn't it have been a much better show for that? I think so. Why make it a necessity that the pandering stuff has to elbow its way in and declare itself present? The author was either compromising in order to move units, or simply has no restraint herself IMO.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
I agree with Chibi's sentiments. Personally I've learned to overlook most of the pandering stuff that goes on these days because there aren't very many shows that I care enough about to point these things out. But despite the rushed romance this series it is actually one of my favorites this season as it is to many others so cracking down on the pointless pandering comes naturally. After all people wouldn't care so much if they didn't like the show right? Which means it's obviously a feature that bothers people and it's quite understandable.

In my opinion, unless it actually has a purpose in the story having a character being perverted, always walking around naked etc. just detracts from their redeeming qualities.

Taking an example from Magispoiler[, Aladdin had a quirk in which he loved motor boating big boobs. This is actually one the first things we learned about him and it was almost an instant turn off for me. This trait does not add to his character and doesn't even really make sense to me considering he was like 10 years old. I believe it was simply added for fanservice appeal and nothing more. Sure this isn't enough to make me completely hate his character but if it's not going to serve a purpose it shouldn't be there.]

I mean would Livius REALLY be that different if he didn't sleep naked? I honestly don't think so. It may not seem like a big deal but details like this go a long way. That's what I respected about Attack on Titan. Throughout it's entire run it never converted to the norm of having fanservice scenes here and there which seem to come natural to every single show that gets printed out these days. It's refreshing to say the least.
gilg4mesh

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Waffitti wrote:
One thing that has annoyed me about this anime is the rain song, specifically it's framing. The song is generally presented as this big swooping giant of beauty and emotion, but it's really a pretty bland R&B tune, with the "big emotional part that soars up the song", the big staple of the genre, barely doing it's job, just adding a few more layers of instruments.

Can't agree more. It's not a bad song, it's very good, but for a song that summoning rain, I expect something more... heavy or grace?

As for me, I expect something like Elfen Lied's Lilium, Fate/Stay Night's La Sola, or voice like Kokia's or Hitomi in Code Geass OST... IMHO, gibberish would be better, it would give more mystical nuance...

But that's just meee
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Spleen wrote:

I personally take exception to him being too short and undeveloped to be 15. While I was the same height I am now at 15, I also weighed about 110 lb and wore a 36 short suit coat. My voice had changed, I was well into puberty, but I looked like an elementary school kid to most people. By the time I finished my first year of college my suit size was a 40 short and I had a considerably more masculine look, to the extent that I am capable of that. I also have a friend who was 5'2" tall when he started college who is close to 6' tall now.

Blood- wrote:
Quote:
Nike and Livius slowly come to like each other...

Quote:
Livius and Nike are slowly becoming more and more fond of each other...

Ah, if only those two statements were true. That's one (of three) major problems I have with this show (which I continue to basically like, thanks almost entirely to the character of Nike).

The pacing of their relationship seems way off. As early as episode 3, they are showing heavy signs of being well on the path to liking each other. It isn't long after that spoiler[some random adorable orphan waif is burbling to Nike about how the King told her how important Nike is to him], etc, etc.

I like the cold, ruthless leader being beguiled by the plucky princess/nanny/commoner/whatevs paradigm but it has to be serviced properly and this show is rushing it, imo.

Well, if I remember correctly, she is supposed to have been in the Sun Kingdom for a couple of months at that time... Also, it is clear that her feelings for him continue to evolve at time goes on. Personally, I like putting the "Ring of Tales" arc before "Call my Name". They were reversed in the manga and I think it works better the order they did it in the anime.
sunflower wrote:
From what I understand, the manga lists two different ages for the king at different points. The mangaka evidently forgot how old he was. So choose as you will, 11/12 or 15. Personally, since he's been ruling so long, I cannot see how he can be 11/12 even given that this is an anime.

I wonder if that chapter might have a "flashback" to the time when he had just become king or when his mother is alive? Who knows...
Meygaera

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
When I was 15 I wasn't even 5ft tall. Probably weighed less than 100lbs. Looked like I was in 6th grade. Somehow played varsity ice hockey. Livius could totally be 15.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:50 am Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:
When I was 15 I wasn't even 5ft tall. Probably weighed less than 100lbs. Looked like I was in 6th grade. Somehow played varsity ice hockey. Livius could totally be 15.

WOW! You must have been pretty darn tough despite your size! varsity ice hockey is not for the timid! (My son decided to stop playing before he got there. He was a goalie, though...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2