• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - The Manga Review Delivery Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:19 pm Reply with quote
You know, I thought about buying that Star Trek 'manga'. Then I realized I already owned dozens of Star Trek comics (and even a novel or two) which were much much better done than this thing looked.

Compare the art on this to the art on those comics and you'll see why this bullcrap artificial manga style is just that, bullcrap. Instead of finding the right art style for a book, it has to be shoehorned into a stereotyped manga style. To me, that's not a good way to make a book. Unfortunatley, Tokyopop lives by that idea for their American made books.

HellKorn wrote:
nefadol wrote:
Glad the review brought up the typos, should also mention speech bubbles misplaced and Ed calling Al "Ed". Anime hyper

Viz seems to be rather inconsistent with certain manga, Fullmetal Alchemist in particular. I mean, the "Ishvar" to "Ishbal" after volume two, the infamous cross edit in volume eight, and of course characters addressing others by their own name.

If it weren't for the fact that I don't understand Japanese, I would be buying the originals instead.

Yeah, color me disapointed in Viz's translation and editoral department too. Though again, I can't read Japanese. I may buy a copy of Vol 8 in Japanese as well though just to have uncensored art. I just hate censorship with a passion. (Heh. Unintentional pun on the passion of the purist there.)
Darrenm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Prior to reading the review of The Drifting Classroom, I was kinda thinking about picking it up, as the premise sounded semi-interesting, and I had never really read a horror manga before. So, when I saw volume 2 get an A-, I went out and bought the first volume.

I zipped through it last night, and I gotta - I'm really disappointed. The writing was really bad (Viz's fault? No idea.), the storyline was bland and stupid, and the art was downright terrible (I can forgive that part - it's almost 30 years old, after all). I doubt I'll be reading any more of this series, unless it VASTLY improves quite quickly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2