• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Drakengard 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

So it sounds like, by and far, NieR was the game that shouldn't have been crapped on but ultimately was (due to poor marketing and excessive media focus on the wrong aspects like Kaine being a hermaphrodite), while this one sounds like a vain attempt to regain the attention of the Drakengard crowd who craved a new entry into a series that had quietly faded from public view before.

It's the girls. Shallow it may be, just by comparing the girls, you'd find your answer. Us gamers are idiots. Laughing
eragon2890

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:34 am Reply with quote
Shallow or whatever, my first tought was "Wow, one sexy femme fatale there on the box, me likes!" and yes that does increase the chance of me buying a game somewhat, I'm a perv~ Anime hyper

Also the fact that the soldiers you (s)laughter actually scream and such makes it more fun I think, it's more realistic Anime hyper

I might want to pick this up even tough I've never heard of the series... altought the technical problems worry me, I care more about gameplay than story usually so It has to be good. Anybody played it and knows exactly how bad it is? Anime hyper
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:54 am Reply with quote
I was somewhat interested in this. I like fantastical weird stories with dragon characters. However, after watching a few previous, I was concerned that Zero's dragon just looks way way too fierce to fit the age of voice that they give him. I am okay with contrasts usually cause it can make for interesting characters, but this seemed like such an extreme contrast that it would make me disbelieve every time he was on screen talking.
Makeinu

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:59 am Reply with quote
Great review, Todd.

Interesting to see that the Drakengard series now has two former members of the old Namco crew as composers; Okabe for this, and Nobuyoshi Sano on the first one. The two of them did most of Tekken 3 (AKA "Achievements in Big Beat") between them, and for that alone they should be designated national treasures. Although Hiroyuki Kawada was secretly the hero of that soundtrack...

/talking to himself

Nothing'll ever top the music of the first Drakengard as a pure concept. They should have put that on top of this game to remind people how much it pissed them off the first time.
Niello

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:05 am Reply with quote
Now that Nier/Drag-On Dragoon got a bit more exposure, a high budget anime for either of these with Urobuchi Gen on board would be awesome...

...I can dream.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote
Niello wrote:
Now that Nier/Drag-On Dragoon got a bit more exposure, a high budget anime for either of these with Urobuchi Gen on board would be awesome...

...I can dream.

I dunno about that, I saw a bit of the manga tie for 3 and it was pretty awful, so I don't think they'd manage to make an anime that would be good.
Niello

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Niello wrote:

...I can dream.

I dunno about that, I saw a bit of the manga tie for 3 and it was pretty awful, so I don't think they'd manage to make an anime that would be good.

Errr, I was talking about the games. I don't know why the manga spin-offs would have anything to do with it; so I don't quite understand what you're trying to say, sorry.

Drag-On Dragoon 1 and Nier do compliment each other very well though. It will definitely make for an interesting watch IMO.
El-ahrairah

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
eragon2890 wrote:
Shallow or whatever, my first tought was "Wow, one sexy femme fatale there on the box, me likes!" and yes that does increase the chance of me buying a game somewhat, I'm a perv~ Anime hyper

I know just what you mean. Wink Zero and her sisters are hot. Very Happy

I wish there where more games with female main characters. I kind of respect Drakengard 3 for that alone, although I realize Zero isn't exactly a shining example of female empowerment or anything. In the end though, Zero IS really unique. She gives me hope that we can have other interesting female main characters in the future.

I can only wonder how I'm going to scrape together the money to buy this though; I'm sooo broke right now. Crying or Very sad
Jadress

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Logged in for the first time in forever just to say I loved this review. I'm not really even interested in picking up this game, but this was very enlightening and entertaining! Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I 'finished' the game last night. And by 'finished', I mean I gave up on the final battle and just watched the ending on YouTube. I love the concept for the final battle, but dear lord it is about the nastiest final boss ever. I know people who play I Wanna Be The Guy games that gave up on it.

I did most of the Accord Requests, but those also got pretty damn mean. There's a certain amount of strategy that can go into them, but a lot of it comes down to luck and hoping enemies that you don't have time to defeat or even pay much attention to don't hit you.

I really liked the story and the main missions for the most part. Yeah, it got pretty repetitive after chapter 5, but I think the game ended right about where it would have started really bothering me.

But seriously, screw that final boss fight. A real shame since it would have been a great one if the game wasn't such an asshole about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2