• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shikiari

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to digress, anyone catch the 'Sword Art "Offline" episode that was added with the extra edition?

It was pretty funny, with Leafa and Asuna answering/ discussing some tricky questions (swimsuits and stuff ^^; ) about the show. Kirito was bashed about again for saying the wrong things about Suguha.

Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
That looks adorable. Anime hyper

I'm really mad that my best anime source has gone out of business. (F.Y.E) This means I either have to buy online or at cons. Aniplex refuses to sell to Best Buy. :/ I still only have volume 1 of Aincrad. That's it!! D:
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex exclusively sells through Rightstuf, don't they? I don't use Rightstuf much anymore because calculating shipping based on number of items and not size/weight is stupid. At least it's faster now that they use Fed Ex. Amazon.ca is still the best since I can get free shipping and next day delivery.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:47 am Reply with quote
Finally having time to respond to a few things.

Blood- wrote:
Can somebody explain this mindset to me, please? Because I genuinely don't get it.

A point of confusion arose, and I was clarifying it. Somewhat important as you if don't understand that SAO left Asuna two and a half years behind her peers in school, it's more difficult to understand just how unreasonable her mother's demand that she switch to a regular school actually is.

Also I've read the fan translation of the novel version, so my commentary would run much more towards comparison of the novel and the adaption, than of emotional reactions to the episode. Which is the sort of thing that can be nice little additional trivia to help people understand things better, or can ruin people's speculation.

Vaisaga wrote:
I get the feeling we'd see a Progressive adaptation before an Alicization one.

I highly doubt it considering Progressive is going floor by floor through Aincrad. And as of the start of volume 3, they're at the spectacularly high floor level of floor number 4. Alicization will likely finish up within 3 years depending on which of his series Reki focuses on. The basic concept of Progressive is something that'll take years to finish, even if the author focused entirely on it. About the only way we'd see a Progressive adaption before an Alicization one would be if there was no Alicization adaption, and years on down the line they made a Progressive adaption.

Vaisaga wrote:
however the author doesn't seem to intend to complete the next story arc any time soon (it's 7 novels and counting, most other arcs were 2) so I doubt we'd get an adaptation of it until it's done.

It's not a matter of Reki not intending to complete the next story arc anytime soon. He's still rewriting the web novels and the next story arc was huge.

Blood- wrote:
I'm not as up on SAO II as some here, but I thought that Suguha was Kirito's cousin, not his sister? It's just that they have a brother-sister like relationship - do I have that wrong?

Genetically first cousins, legally, adoptive siblings. Kirito's aunt and her husband adopted him in infancy after his parents died in a car wreck and raised him as their own kid. The "tell him when he reaches highschool" plan fell through when 10 year old Kirito discovered the wonders of public records, and the "Tell Suguha when she reaches highschool" plan fell through when Kirito was trapped in SAO, 2000 people died in the first month, and his parents had to decide "Do we tell Suguha that Kirito's actually her cousin before or after he dies?"

HaruhiToy wrote:
I don't recall the example referred to in Episode 23 in particular, but everyone should be aware that the VR shown in SAO is simply impossible given the limitations of physics as we know them regardless of the level of technology. In order for it to work they way they show it they would have to have FTL communications.

An interesting point, though I don't think it's that big a deal. Most works of fiction that deal with network anything tend to ignore network latency unless it's a plot point.

Though it's probably worth noting that SAO and ALO were Japan exclusive games, played on severs located in Japan, and GGO is also played on a Japan dedicated sever though the server itself is implied to be overseas. So everyone is theoretically working off of more or less equal lag, and in the case of SAO/ALO would be no greater than the limits imposed by the size of Japan. The author also had older MMO clients in mind that did more client side, though he was thinking primarily in terms of storage space and processing demands.

Bright_Spear wrote:
Do single player, full dive games show up or talked about in the story? The only games I remember anyone talking about are MMO's. Its a bit weird that it hasn't really.

They were mentioned in the novel as existing at the start, but also that everyone was waiting for the first big MMO as the real make or break game for full dive VR. So they exist, they just aren't focused on.

CrowLia wrote:
Something that bothered me wasspoiler[ the thousand people showing up for Yuuki's send off. It didn't only feel manipulative, it also kind of killed the emotional intimacy of Yuuki saying her goodbyes to her friends.].

I felt the hundreds of people showing up was a bit over the top, but it is fairly reasonable. Yuuki did spend several months making a name for herself in ALO. First with the whole "general challenge" thing, then being involved in raiding floor bosses, including clearing a couple, one of which she did with a single party. In the process of that rubbing elbows with the leaders of some of the biggest factions of the game, the following it up by winning the tournament. So she'd be acquainted with a fair number of respected players, and known to a lot more. And of course people tend to come pay their respects to the dead and dying.

Anyways, in other news, translations of Reki Kawahara's twitter commentary for SAO II is up to episode 17 (he apparently did not manage to comment on episode 12):

Ep01: http://pastebin.com/SHfeM0x4
Ep02: http://pastebin.com/xQEVbfpD
Ep03: http://pastebin.com/Jecmiyf6
Ep04: http://pastebin.com/ZKZJmiPm
Ep05: http://pastebin.com/sS5epnKs
Ep06: http://pastebin.com/5wqHvb5c
Ep07: http://pastebin.com/pb3dVu7j
Ep08: http://pastebin.com/MyhiiJWk
Ep09: http://pastebin.com/8wiEj3Dz
Ep10: http://pastebin.com/tYmCvK58
Ep11: http://pastebin.com/UpN4uD1r
Ep13: http://pastebin.com/w43KWuQB
Ep14: http://pastebin.com/HTKG3NBV
Ep15: http://pastebin.com/kxGQ3jJS
Ep16: http://pastebin.com/Ka1BKjiz
Ep17: http://pastebin.com/4ZrjsHxs

So if you want the author's thought on any of those episodes, there it is.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:46 am Reply with quote
Chiibi: the fact that more than sixty percent of Japanese believe in evolution comes from the polls. And them not believing in creationism can not be offensive, it is just fact. You can not be offended by other people not believing in what you believe in, or by other people just mentioning such fact. For example, I am not offended by your belief in creationism (women were created from man's rib and all the other stuff), so why are you?

Key: what exactly is offensive with stating the fact that evolutionists do not believe in soul or spoiler[after-life]? And how this offensive to even mention this fact (by the way, apparently it is fine that oh-so-moral-and-offended religious members can call others "bloody idiots")? Or this forum is now all of sudden run by Southern fundamentalists or Iranian clergy?

People have asserted that Japanese audience believes in spoiler[after-life], hence authors going this route makes sense. However, majority of Japanese public does not believe in spoiler[after-life] or souls or whatever else, they believe in evolution (this is just fact and it is perfectly valid argument; there is nothing offensive about that). So authors of this anime limiting themselves only to discussion of spoiler[after-life] is definitely not based on demographics.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Wow, you don't know when to quit, do you?

Look how wrong you are
http://www.destination-asia.com/japan/about/beliefs/

Eighty percent are Shinto and Buddist. EIGHTY PERCENT.

You're wrong about Japanese beliefs, accept it.
NOW Key said to DROP IT, MAX.

Last edited by Chiibi on Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
12skippy21

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
That looks adorable. Anime hyper

I'm really mad that my best anime source has gone out of business. (F.Y.E) This means I either have to buy online or at cons. Aniplex refuses to sell to Best Buy. :/ I still only have volume 1 of Aincrad. That's it!! D:

Why is that then? I did a quick search but cannot find much on it, just curious really/bored on a New Years Eve.

We have a company in the UK called Thats Entertainment who tend to sell old used titles, they never get fresh anime releases, are Best Buy a similar company?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh, Best Buy....(like their name) will sell (new) movies and TV shows at a much cheaper price and Aniplex doesn't like that.

Say stores like f.y.e. will sell an Attack on Titan boxset for...oh, maybe $60?

Best Buy will lower it to maybe $40-ish.

BB and Ani can't get along and play nice because Ani won't lower their prices outside of conventions, and BB thinks their customers will not pay that much for anime.

We do have stores that sell second-hand DVDs like The Exchange and CD Warehouse.....but if you want anime from this year or even last, you're out of luck.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
what exactly is offensive with stating the fact that evolutionists do not believe in soul or spoiler[after-life]?

But that's not a fact. Just because they believe in evolution doesn't automatically mean they don't believe in the soul or the after life. I believe in all three.

The core of the issue is you're saying "the creators did this when they should have done that." The implication being that the writers are somehow 'wrong' to believe in the idea of the after life and the 'correct' way would be to teach that it doesn't exist. People understandably get upset by that kind of thing.

The fact is that you can't prove there's no after life, just as I can't prove that there is. As such there's no right or wrong way about it. And even if you point out what a majority believe, that doesn't make it right either (hello geocentrism).

Within the universe of the narrative, however, let's be happy Yuuki became an angel~

Chiibi wrote:
Oh, Best Buy....(like their name) will sell (new) movies and TV shows at a much cheaper price and Aniplex doesn't like that.

Best Buy was, well, the best back in the day. Sadly my local store has been crap for the last several years. They barely get any new stock and it's been the same stuff there for a long time. I think that G Gundam box set has been sitting there for, like, 8 years now.

There's another local store that has a great selection of anime. Sadly they're double the retail price.

Man, how I would love to give Aniplex more of my money if their stuff wasn't so expensive. Is it really too much to ask for a regular edition blu ray release of SAO or Fate/Zero? Enough time has passed so they've probably drained all the hardcore collectors by now.

I got Extra Edition because I felt $50 was reasonable for a movie length anime + booklet + poster. I also caved and ordered this. I may eventually decide to at least get the two Fairy Dance sets but that probably won't be anytime soon.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
What a pretty image of the girls!
Thanks for sharing.

*saves* :3

Yes, BB USED to have a much better selection a few years back. Now they (the ones around me at least) have cut it down to maybe a third of what it was. You'll only find probably 10-15 shows there. :[
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Most physical stores that carry anime DVDs/Blu-Rays have decidedly cut back. Some BBs in my area barely carry any these days, while others still have significant sections but maybe half the size of what they were doing back in the mid-2000s. The last time I looked the local Frye's (another major electronics-oriented chain) still had a substantial section but it, too, was smaller than it had been. There is still an f.y.e. in my area, but its selection is kinda random, in part because they also offer used disks. The local Wal-Marts do now carry some, but generally only the biggest-name titles (i.e., Sailor Moon, DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, Ghibli movies, a few others).

And MaxSouth: Next post you make on the topic in question gets excised. (And no one else should respond to it if he does because I'll be excising those posts, too.) Seriously, can you not take the hint that the discussion you're raising is not wanted by anyone else?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Aniplex exclusively sells through Rightstuf, don't they? I don't use Rightstuf much anymore because calculating shipping based on number of items and not size/weight is stupid. At least it's faster now that they use Fed Ex. Amazon.ca is still the best since I can get free shipping and next day delivery.

As long as you are prepared to spend at least $250 at TRSI to qualify for free Canadian shipping, you can save way more going through them compared with Amazon.ca. I found that even factoring in the exchange rate, TRSI's prices are usually substantially better than Amazon.ca. Not to mention that in some cases you can't even get some titles from Amazon.ca that you can from TRSI.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to say that I am the one excised the last 3 posts mentioning the whole MaxSouth thing after Key already said to drop it, as they were reported by another user, and that I also think this is probably a good place to halt the negativity and try to start anew.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Wait, but neither mine nor Chibikangaroo's posts were about the religious topic...
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Haha, my best friend just gave me matching Kirito and Asuna pins for Christmas. I squealed when I opened them and she loled at me. Laughing

BUT

THEY'RE SO DAMN CUTE.

Only anime-related thing I received too....that I didn't have to order myself. :[ God bless my friends; they always come through. <3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 112 of 115