• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Limited Licenses Wings of Honneamise Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

I've been keeping an eye on their Facebook page. Hope they really go through with it this time.

I hope not. Wings of Honneamise is perfect as it is.
What's the sequel going to talk about ? Shiro's reentry and successive ticker tape parades ? Rolling Eyes Ah Gainax how about doing something new for a change ?

I don't think it would be a direct sequel starring Shiro. I think it would just take place in the same universe, in the same country Shiro is from, years later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Banken

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:25 am Reply with quote
I don't want to see the reentry (although if you think a reentry has no potential for drama you are wrong) so much as I want to see what the effect the flight had on the two countries... Did it stop the war, start a space race, or was the news just censored by the other country?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:27 am Reply with quote
spoiler[The re-entry was a success. Didn't anybody see the ending credits?]

I'm being particularly generous with that spoiler, given how old the movie is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:04 am Reply with quote
I am not sure if this was reported but the latest news on Aoki Uru is that it was presented at Cannes Film Market.
https://www.facebook.com/aokiuru.gainax/posts/599241980183778
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
I've never seen this movie, but it looks interesting. I do know that Bryan Cranstan (Walter Waite from Breaking Bad) voiced a role in it early in his career, but not much else.

This is probably the only anime of any kind to see an HD DVD release. Razz

Chrno2 wrote:
This is kind of surprising since Discotek did a re-release on it early last year to this year. Now can we get a proper release for Gunbuster?

Ggultra2764 wrote:
Huh, I thought Sentai Filmworks had rights to the series and released it on DVD last year. Confused

Maiden Japan (sister company to Sentai) currently has the US license.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:34 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
spoiler[The re-entry was a success. Didn't anybody see the ending credits?]

I'm being particularly generous with that spoiler, given how old the movie is.

Was it? I forgot. I just got the feeling it was left vague for some reason.

Especially considering how many arbitrary promotions he had in such a short time, I wouldn't have been surprised if the ending was supposed to imply he got the ole' double-promotion.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

I've been keeping an eye on their Facebook page. Hope they really go through with it this time.

I hope not. Wings of Honneamise is perfect as it is.
What's the sequel going to talk about ? Shiro's reentry and successive ticker tape parades ? Rolling Eyes Ah Gainax how about doing something new for a change ?

How can you not want a sequel? Anything set in the same world would be amazing. The reason I hold the film so highly is because of the tremendous creativity behind it. I don't need to know what happened to the characters I just want to SEE that world again.

I shared my enthusiasm on their Facebook page a month back after it got a supposed film fest listing. Hoped I would get a "like" from the Gainax representative running the page but nope :< it was that film that made me into the rabid Japanese animation that I am today. I cannot wait to show it to my son when he is older!
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:

How can you not want a sequel? Anything set in the same world would be amazing. The reason I hold the film so highly is because of the tremendous creativity behind it. I don't need to know what happened to the characters I just want to SEE that world again.

Because for me, Royal Space Force is not only about the world Gainax created but also about the message the film conveyed.
Doing a sequel for this film is nothing more than a cash grab. Nothing in RSFs message needed any kind of sequel. Doing one cheapens the film and its message.

Quote:

I shared my enthusiasm on their Facebook page a month back after it got a supposed film fest listing. Hoped I would get a "like" from the Gainax representative running the page but nope :< it was that film that made me into the rabid Japanese animation that I am today. I cannot wait to show it to my son when he is older!

I don't share their enthusiam because this sequel if it's ever done will be nothing more than a cash grab. I would praise more Gainax if they'd do something original instead, like you know when they made RSF in the first place.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Great film although it would have been interesting to see the aftermath of the spaceflight. It isn't even clear spoiler[if Shirotsugu actually survives the flight. And the rape attempt seems out of character and gratuitous.]

Funny, I thought spoiler[during the end credits we see Shiro having successfully landed in a splashdown in an ocean in those ink wash sketches].
Banken

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I think I missed that.... or just forgot.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
I think I missed that.... or just forgot.

I can see how easy it is to miss it given how faint the images appear and the way the credits scroll past it the entire time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2