• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sailor Moon's Premiere Event Excludes Men — Unless Accompanied by Women

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eragon2890

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:31 am Reply with quote
BTW, tough I definitely think my above argument does apply - people who feel excluded won't pre-order so it's bad for profits to exclude the majority of otaku, which these baka's will soon feel in their pockets- it's off course a fact that sailor moon in particular has mostly female fans. Doesn't make this any less stupid or likely to reduce profits, but does make it logical from an organizational point of view, if not an economic one, right?
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:53 am Reply with quote
Not allowing men unless they're accompanied by a woman? I don't know if the publisher of Vivi is trying to say that this is meant to be an exclusive, "ladies only event" but it does come across as being rude. And I'm not even a guy and I feel this way. =_= It would be better to require a dress code than to select attendees based on gender and who they're attending the event with.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:27 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Misandry! Misandry, I say!

Wait, let me put my fedora featuring a Twilight Sparkle sticker on first. There we go.

Misandry!

Tactless and poorly arranged? Yes. Misandrist? Hardly.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go get my Indiana Jones and Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu cosplays ready. Razz
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:36 am Reply with quote
I wonder if they would accept say, a 40 year old man and his 8 year old daughter...
Ascalon8

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:40 am Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
That's exciting and pretty cool! I wonder why ViVi is the magazine that does all of the collabs though? Is it because of parent company, or target audience?

I also cannot wait for the cries of sexism.

You're honestly okay with this B.S.? What if it was the other way around then. By god this is stupid.
Ascalon8

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:43 am Reply with quote
eragon2890 wrote:
I don't see the problem, nor any reason to get worked up over this. I don't give a fudge personally, and even if I would, there is a more effective way than bitching about sexism, and I just hate irritating sour whiny-whining no matter who it comes from, I just enjoy life~ :3

That more effective way will happen automatically: people who can't come to the event and are dissapointed about that will likely be much less interested in buying the blu-ray's of the new show when they come out, so we will just have to wait for the shareholders to ask about the reason behind the lower-than-expected number of pre-orders. Problem solved.

Of course you wouldn't with that dumb attitude of yours.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:43 am Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Misandry! Misandry, I say!

Wait, let me put my fedora featuring a Twilight Sparkle sticker on first. There we go.

Misandry!

Tactless and poorly arranged? Yes. Misandrist? Hardly.

I'm just HOPING it's the magazine's promotional idea.
Otherwise, my first reaction was, "Oh, they are seriously getting paranoid about their anime-fan stereotype prejudices where Moon/Magical-girls are concerned..."

(On one thread, a UK fan talked about how some theaters are now blocking out adult viewers to kiddy films unless accompanied by kids--
I'd just assumed this was more intolerance here, from a country where they don't let everyone watch cartoons, like they do in our free lands.)
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:50 am Reply with quote
Hmm. Pondering who will be more obnoxious in this thread. Will it be the awful a person I disagree with politically guys trying to spin this into "Misandry is real! This is why men are the real victims of sexism! Remember this next time someone talks about female sexism so we can immediately dismiss it!" Or will it be the tone deaf social justice crowd, so immediately reactionary to said people I disagree with politically that they'll applaud this move? Because barring people from events across the board based on gender is totally a-okay. Screw anyone who just genuinely likes things that don't happen to be aimed at their gender.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:10 am Reply with quote
ViVi is like Cosmopolitan and what man would go to a Cosmo party on his own unless he wants to be either beaten, or eaten? Laughing I'm guessing it's a ploy to filter out the usual greasy, smelly, no hoper suspects who would just trash the event.

EricJ2 wrote:

(On one thread, a UK fan talked about how some theaters are now blocking out adult viewers to kiddy films unless accompanied by kids--
I'd just assumed this was more intolerance here, from a country where they don't let everyone watch cartoons, like they do in our free lands.)
Yeah, 'tis main reason I had kids, well one of then anyway. Laughing
AnimaAnimus

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:38 am Reply with quote
It's great to know most everyone is okay with this, now I can finally open up the cafe I wanted. No blacks unless accompanied by whites, no gays unless accompanied by straights. The name will be "19th Century Taste". Rolling Eyes
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:43 am Reply with quote
AnimaAnimus wrote:
It's great to know most everyone is okay with this, now I can finally open up the cafe I wanted. No blacks unless accompanied by whites, no gays unless accompanied by straights. The name will be "19th Century Taste". Rolling Eyes
Congratulation for signing up just to tell us about your a person I disagree with politically membership. Hope you enjoy your stay, but I get the feeling it might be brief. Wink
AnimaAnimus

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:12 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
AnimaAnimus wrote:
Congratulation for signing up just to tell us about your a person I disagree with politically membership. Hope you enjoy your stay, but I get the feeling it might be brief. Wink

Sorry to hear obviously satirical comments are against forum rules. Honestly what I said isn't anymore offensive than the original topic, other than the fact that it affects different groups of people. I'm not even offended by this topic, just thought I'd point out the glaringly fallacious logic most opinions in this thread have.

Also you probably shouldn't accuse someone of something without proof, you run the risk of being accused yourself. Maybe something along the lines of a troglodyte perhaps?
Bernkastel

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:23 am Reply with quote
I mean, I kind of understand this from a Vivi point of view, but is that really what Sailor Moon stands for? I don't recall SM ever perpetuating gender stereotypes or discrimination like the ones running this event. It's pretty much the same as saying that only boys are allowed to a Dragon Ball event, or the Shonen-based Naruto for that matter, ignoring a part of the fanbase and keeping gender roles and stereotypes alive.

However, looking at this from another point of view, any boy who is a fan of Sailor Moon likely has several female friends, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem for them to get in. Regardless, if the event planners come right out and say that you aren't welcome without your guest, would you really want to go? I know I wouldn't. I would feel uncomfortable, nervous, I would feel unwelcome in any place like that.

This isn't about people I disagree with politically and people who care about social justice, it's just about common decency. Fans who agree with this event's standpoint must have never truly understood the message behind Sailor Moon: love, equality, and being true to yourself.
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:51 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
AnimaAnimus wrote:
a person I disagree with politically ask for special protection, not equal protection, from discrimination. That's a distinction you should have drawn from the other person's satirical post to show that it differs from the a person I disagree with politically ideological viewpoint.

This event is a case where, regardless of which group is excluded and however innocuous the venue, it's a shameful and anti-progressive thing to do. It's hurtful to exclude a segment of the very base that helped to keep the brand alive, however small of a contribution that may be. To me, it reeks more of anti-otakuism than any degree of misandry, and that is certainly something that all of us should be acutely aware of and rally against. This a person I disagree with politically false flag people have thrown up has put a smokescreen on the real underlying issue, and we hurt ourselves as a group of enthusiasts when we turn a blind eye to very real and very hurtful stereotypes.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:05 am Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:
inb4 a person I disagree with politically manchild rage
If it was the opposite and women were complaining I sincerely doubt there would be nearly as many people would be saying things like this.

Although as others have said it'd do some good to get rid of certain unwanted people but that's not going to stop the rotten fujoshi from stinking up the event.

Then again, do fujoshi even like Sailor Moon?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5