• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sailor Moon's Premiere Event Excludes Men — Unless Accompanied by Women

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistress_kisara

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:34 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
rockman nes wrote:
inb4 a person I disagree with politically manchild rage
If it was the opposite and women were complaining I sincerely doubt there would be nearly as many people would be saying things like this.

Although as others have said it'd do some good to get rid of certain unwanted people but that's not going to stop the rotten fujoshi from stinking up the event.

Then again, do fujoshi even like Sailor Moon?

Here we go again..
uguu

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:44 am Reply with quote
in during people equating Japanese gender segregation with the western 'social justice' idea of 'safe spaces' as if they all come from the same basic philosophy.

for god's sake Japan literally categorizes their comics into 'for guys' and 'for girls' in a way that you'd never expect from the west.

Last edited by uguu on Fri May 23, 2014 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:49 am Reply with quote
Putting the history of the forums, a person I disagree with politically activism, Japanese culture, grudges and other past feelings aside, I think fundamentally it's pretty lame that there's a premier event for such an influential series that you can't attend just because you're a guy. Hopefully they'll have other advanced screenings where guys can attend, but I have to admit the whole idea of separating out the fans like this kind of feels like they're saying Sailor Moon is only meant for women, which kind of leaves a sour taste in the mouth.
Krey

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:52 am Reply with quote
Only allowing women in is lame. Bottom line. If it was the other way around, like women not being allowed in somewhere, there would be a huge uproar. I guess things are different in Japan, though.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:56 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Misandry! Misandry, I say!

Wait, let me put my fedora featuring a Twilight Sparkle sticker on first. There we go.

Misandry!

I'm a feminist, which means that I think barring men from attending this event is BS...
...but your comment gave me a chuckle. You got me at 'fedora with Twilight Sparkle sticker'.
Still lame that they're restricting guys from attending this event though.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:01 am Reply with quote
I have long hair so i could Metal Gear Raiden this thing.
So can i attend or will they throw be out because of my beard ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranho

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:17 am Reply with quote
Guys! GUYS! Chill! Okay? Keikaku doori desu.

Vivi magazine is merely doing their part for Japan's declining birth rate.

Mondai nai wa. Hontou ni.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:28 am Reply with quote
This is a promotional event and they want demographic-appropriate optics. It's designed to make sure there aren't a bunch of photos of the Sailor Moon premiere where it's completely flooded with male otaku.

You'll find similar policies at events run by fashion magazines all over the world, but instead of outright stating "no dudes" they simply make it invitation-only and only invite wealthy women, models and their +1s.

It's just business. The PR company is told "we want these optics at the event" and so they make sure the crowd is camera-friendly.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:44 am Reply with quote
@Zac: Ah, I see. I was a little worried of sexism when I read the headline and the article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:55 am Reply with quote
If you want to go but don't have a girlfriend, just take the shocking and extaordinary step of ASKING SOMEBODY OUT! That cloak of righteous indignation may burn brightly, but it won't keep you warm... Wink
aers

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:01 am Reply with quote
The event is hosted by ViVi (in fact they're putting it under their ViVi Night brand) and this has become standard operating procedure for them in recent years. A similar rule was in effect at their main Tokyo event last month, for example http://vivi.tv/vivinight/201402/
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote
aers wrote:
The event is hosted by ViVi (in fact they're putting it under their ViVi Night brand) and this has become standard operating procedure for them in recent years. A similar rule was in effect at their main Tokyo event last month, for example http://vivi.tv/vivinight/201402/

Ah thanks for that. All ANN readers should read aers' post.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:23 am Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
Not that big of a deal, really, since their moms would be driving them there anyway. They may as well attend with their sons, right?

Although there is more parking in Odaiba than just about anywhere else in Tokyo, Zepp Diver City is within 400 metres of Daiba station on the Yurikamome and Tokyo Teleport station on the Rinkai subway. Most people would take one of these to get there.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
unitmikey wrote:
Like are they going to only check peoples IDs? So if I was in Japan could I dress up in drag and sneak in? Like crash the party?

I could probably just find a girl to go with but that wouldn't be as fun of a story.

I've been to a couple of events in Japan where I had to show ID that not only proved that the name on the ticket matched the ID that I had but also that the ID which indicated gender matched myself (and non-residents are required to carry their passport on them anyway).

Last edited by omiya on Fri May 23, 2014 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Veniamin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:35 am Reply with quote
I can definitely see why a franchise that's mostly marketed towards women, would have a women only event.

I was never allowed to watch Sailor Moon as a child, since I was a guy and all.

Never did get to watch it.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5