• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - This Old Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Frankly, the only reason we're getting so many re-releases of 90s dubs is because a show is so old that often nobody in Japan cares anymore.

It's kind of sad in a funny way when you put it like that. XD
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
There is a method of using the automotive product "Nu-Finish" that can restore aged Reel to Reel tapes long enough to allow transcription to Digital or fresh Reel Tape. It's a bit messy, but many audiophiles have used it with good results in preserving recordings of live performances.

Microsoft distributed CD's & DVD's to dealers using sleeves that I have found to be excellent for long term storage. It's good to see another proven source. Justin's Seal of Approval.

Mark Gosdin
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Man, I could never imagine getting rid of some of my cases for anime. I buy solely for two reasons: to support stuff I like and to have pretty things for stuff I like. Getting rid of the cases... it sounds crazy but with the internet and how it's created a system where I feel like I can always find a HQ version to watch if I don't care about how I get it, I'd be quicker to throw away the discs than the case.

I mean, I wouldn't do either but the cases? I just can't see it. To each their own though.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I'm shocked people have ANY fondness for Card Captor Sakura's dub.

It was god-awful. The characters were supposed to be cute, for crying out loud.

and its the reason why to this day nelvana got the same bad rep and is still in a lot of people's eyes is as bad or worse than 4kids. Though i am not too thrilled that the "new" CCS dub will be from the old animax asia version instead of a new dub considering how bad their dubs have been.

DIC's editing of SM was a lot more forgiving considering it occurred in the early 90's when the anime industry mainly had series and movies that was "adult only" ( Mad Bull 34,Devil Man, Ninja Scroll , Vampire Hunter D).

It was cause of though highly sexual and violent movies and series that those edits of SM and others like DBZ was necessary in order to attract audiences outside of the otaku community.

Though i wont be seeing that DIC version anytime soon (the only ones i actually watch are the DIC version of Saint Seiya aka knights of the zodiac , ronin warriors & Samurai Pizza Cats ) considering that Funi brought back the edited Pioneer version, it might be possible the DIC version of SM will make a comeback.

HOWEVER,like the 4kids dubs, there is zero chance in hell the god awful nelvana dub version of CCS will ever surface again outside of illegal streaming websites.

Last edited by jr240483 on Fri May 23, 2014 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Frankly, the only reason we're getting so many re-releases of 90s dubs is because a show is so old that often nobody in Japan cares anymore.

"The U.S. wants to re-release Nadia: The Secret of the Blue Water."

"What show was that again?"

"I don't remember. Some ancient thing from years ago I think."

"Why do they like that old stuff?"

"Because it's classic, according to them."

"I'll never understand those Americans. Classics don't sell at all!"

^Shows what they know. :D
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
MrTerrorist wrote:
Surprisingly it's very good and the script stays faithful to the original Japanese. Now if only Animax Asia would release that dub.

That IS the dub that's on the forthcoming NISA boxed sets.

Wait? Really?! YES!!! Very Happy
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I can live with the old US dubs gone now, I'd like to forget the mackre anime of the past. I'm definitely glad both are being re-released as I never got to own Sailor Moon and have been wanting to buy it for years without taking a prohibitively expensive reseller route.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

I do wish they would dub more older anime, but I can understand why they wouldn't. I guess it's clear how much of an exception Sailor Moon is. Anime hyper

I tend to wonder if Kickstarter could be an option to finance dubs of old anime. It worked for Anime Limited with Mai Mai Miracle.
BooktapC

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I learned a lot. Thanks Justin. Who knew we got Sailor Moon because in Japan it might not be highly sought anymore. Good for us then Razz
RHorsman

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Another important thing about the dubs for Sailor Moon and Card Captors, is that the old dubs wouldn't necessarily work at all with the uncut video for some episodes.

There was a US release of Ultraman that handled this by subtitling any previously cut material that was added back into the older dubbed version. It didn't work very well.
SahgoDN

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
jsevakis wrote:

^Shows what they know. Very Happy

You can replace "Nadia" for "Monster Rancher", tenfold.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:

^Shows what they know. Very Happy

Wasn't a remastered version of Nadia created for release on Blu-ray and aired on TV in 2012 in Japan?

It appears you just happened to pick the wrong example. Very Happy
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Wasn't a remastered version of Nadia created for release on Blu-ray and aired on TV in 2012 in Japan?

It appears you just happened to pick the wrong example. Very Happy

That I was not aware of.
stowrag

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I was really young when Cardcaptors was actually on tv, so there's a lot about the show I don't remember (I didn't even watch it that much). It wasn't until I was older and just happened to be reading about the content changes and editing for family values common in the 90's (and beyond) that I really got upset over the censoring on televised anime as a whole. But I do know people with fond memories for the Cardcaptors cut who say it helped them out during hard times in a repressive household.

Anyway, going by the toonami promo, the old dub didn't completely kill what was great about the show.

And regarding disc space solutions, I recall someone somewhere once telling me about mmdesign which makes disc sleeves with space for things like dvd cover art (and maybe other things?) I know I wouldn't want to part with if I wanted to slim down my collection.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, should have gone with Trigun or Outlaw Star or Hyper Police.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7