• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - This Old Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I do admit that the series had too many main characters with names that started with M: Mamoru, Makoto, Minako, Michiru. Their names in the old dub were Darien, Lita, Mina, and Michelle respectively. Not as bad. I actually learned in creative writing that it's never a good idea to have multiple lead characters with names that start with the same letter. It just gets confusing. It's not that bad in Sailor Moon since the characters are introduced at different times, but that was one thing I appreciated about the old dub.

American writing techniques shouldn't be applied to foreign works. In Japan, names are not written out in romaji.

Makoto = まこと
Minako = 美奈子
Michiru = みちる
Mamoru = 衛

If you look at it that way, none of them are very similar and are easy to tell apart. The kanji system is very complex you can have the same word in romaji have totally different characters and vice versa. Can't really do that in English.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
The thing to keep in mind about NISA's release of Card Captor Sakura it that they are offering it as a subtitled release.

The Animax dub is listed as an extra. Basically it is something that was available to them that they are making available to customers. This should tell you something about the quality of the dub.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:47 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Justin is right. The creator of SM, from what I've read, hated the American chop-job, so there is no way in hell she would ever approve it.

of course she hated those chopped off edits. everyone was. but she had to have also understand that during that time in 1991-1992 anime wasnt mainstream and was mainly taken over by ultra violent movies.

could you have imagined if it showed it unedited versions where haruka and michiru being lesbian lovers instead of cousins? or they have zoecite as his actual gender and the yaoi romance of him and malikite in the first season was for all the eye to see?

or worse, they actually showed the stars series during that era?

the backlash it would have brought definitely wasnt worth the risk just to please a small amount of people that represented the otaku community at the time .

so yea, though i didn't liked it,DIC and Geneon(Pioneer at that time) made the wise choices when it did those chop ups which is why right now, people can forgive those edits just like with the pioneer editing of DBZ. it was way too soon to introduce the US audience the true face of those anime series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:16 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
people can forgive those edits just like with the pioneer editing of DBZ

Well, first of all, Pioneer didn't edit DBZ, to my knowledge. They distributed, as Funimation's distribution wasn't a thing then. It was Barry Watson et al at Funimation who did the editing, the chopping, the censorship, and script changes.

Second, you can forgive them. Though I'd be more likely to forgive them if there wasn't a large contingency of "fans" who still DEMAND that DBZ-related products carry replacement music and poorly acted, inaccurate dub lines, that balk when you try to explain to them how the show was intended to be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:49 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
people can forgive those edits just like with the pioneer editing of DBZ

Well, first of all, Pioneer didn't edit DBZ, to my knowledge. They distributed, as Funimation's distribution wasn't a thing then. It was Barry Watson et al at Funimation who did the editing, the chopping, the censorship, and script changes.

That's true, after Berry Watson left, Funimation already became what it is now and what they are now to current anime fans today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'm surprised at the dearth of examples on the lip-flap issue. For example, I thought Ghibli routinely did voices before the animation.

I think Justin was speaking about anime for television with their limited budgets.

Still there is one director who prefers the voices-first approach -- Matsuo Kou. He used this method in Kurenai and, I believe, in Red Garden. Episode three of Kurenai shows the value of this approach, when Shinkarou, Yuuno, and Murasaki are carrying on a three-way argument. The actors speak over each other and interrupt the flow of the dialogue in a naturalistic way that is rarely seen in most televised anime.

As for Animax dubs, I thought the Nodame Cantabile dub, which can be heard in the stream carried by Crackle, was pretty decent. The actors don't have the panache of Kawasumi Ayako and Seki Tomokazu though.
BooktapC

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
BooktapC wrote:
From your column since you wrote that the creators don't really care about dubs of the 90's sorry if misunderstood something. Not sure what you meant since could have read in a different way? Let me know what you meant! I would love to know what you meant to say from your column.

You're taking what Justin said as being absolute & without exception. Normally, the Japanese don't care about some seemingly-random edited dub of a product from the 90s, and possibly even the early-00s... But then you have exceptions like Sailor Moon, where the original creator DOES care about the DiC.

And by "care" I mean she's hates it & doesn't want it being re-released; Zac even talked about it slightly on the ANNCast that came out today. What Justin is saying is that the moments we get these edited dubs are because the Japanese don't care, which is most of the time, but the moments we don't is usually because they do care, which is rare but does happen.

LoL, I am not sure how I am not supposed to not take something someone says as an absolute since I trust that when a person says something they are not feeding around the bush and are saying what they mean because they are knowledgeable. If not then in that case something shouldn't be said in the first place.

I'll be honest not entirely sure what it is you are really meaning now but since really dislike extremely long discussions. I'll say thanks for at least attempting to explain things. Still sort of confused but that is okay! I am just glad that Sailor Moon is releasing in North America and getting a new dub. That's all I need to know.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
BooktapC wrote:
I'll be honest not entirely sure what it is you are really meaning now but since really dislike extremely long discussions. I'll say thanks for at least attempting to explain things. Still sort of confused but that is okay! I am just glad that Sailor Moon is releasing in North America and getting a new dub. That's all I need to know.

No one in Japan gives a crap about Lily C.A.T. or Samurai Pizza Cats, but people, including it's creator, still care about the original Sailor Moon, and remember it fondly.

You seem to be making it a more complicated issue than it is.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Aquasakura wrote:
Concerning the answer to the first question:
I never (at least so far) have this problem of noticing the characters’ mouth movements don’t match the voice. It’s only obvious for me when I either watch a non-animated movie or show that has been dubbed over, or the animation makes it that obvious (which seems to usually happen with animated shows that are not well put together from my experience). I guess I’m not that observant when it comes to that aspect with animation.

Probably you're not used enough to Japanese language syllables that ya can't trace it to lip-flaps yet, e.g. when you're watching, you're just reading the subtitles and not matching the sounds to the lip-flaps.

That's true. Whenever I watch a Japanese dub of a show with English subtitles I am more focus reading the subtitles then I paying attention to whether or not the voices match the timing of characters' mouth movements. I want to learn Japanese, and one day I am going to practice mastering the language. When I finally can read and speak Japanese fluently I would no longer need subtitles, and I'll be able to watch and read stuff more that I couldn't before.

enurtsol wrote:

Aquasakura wrote:

Concerning the answer to the third question:
I know those dubs can be found on Youtube (or at least the Sailor Moon one as my sister was watching them a while back on that site for old times’ sake. I’m just assuming the Cardcaptor Sakura dubs can be found on Youtube as well). With that said, I’m with the Awnserman on this one concerning of not seeing them anytime soon. Besides those dubs were very terrible, and it doesn’t seem like many people want to see those dubs.

Not so much for Cardcaptors, since it was so radically rearranged in the U.S. to make Li Syaoran the co-focus for the boys-dominated cartoon market. Though it seems for Canada and some other countries, a complete dub was done by Nelvana.

(Wish I kept a copy of that year's public financial papers that, as a publicly-traded company, Nelvana had to publish regularly for investors, detailing its assets and acquisitions including how many millions of $$ it paid for CCS for how many years.)

But trust me, a lot of people still want to see the old Sailor Moon dub. People like it enough despite everything. Especially in Canada where it got big that the Canadian dub VAs were celebrities and of course the famous Canadian band Barenaked Ladies' 1998 Billboard #1 hit "One Week" include the lyrics:

Gotta get in tune with Sailor Moon
'Cause the cartoon has got the boom anime babes
That make me think the wrong thing

And that's why them SM dub voice cast will be on Anime Expo this coming July.

I heard that whoever dub Cardcaptor Sakura (I forgot the name of the company) were trying to make Syaoran appear to be the main character of the show. However if that was the case they didn't do such a good with it. I can vaguely remember seeing a few episodes of Cardcaptor Sakura (which they just called "Cardcaptors" as you probably know) and I got the impression the main focus of the show was Sakura instead of Syaoran. If you were to ask me what role he played in the show at the time I might have mention he was Sakura rival or something). The former 4Kids Entertainment did a better job when it came to taking so many liberties to editing a show they dubbed to the point people consider it to have a continuity of it's own compare to the original Japanese dub ( in this case Yu-Gi-Oh! Dual Monsters) then whatever company worked on Cardcaptor Sakura. They even had a movie made to take place in that continuity 4kids ended up making. anime#2761

Concerning how popular the dub was in Canada, I am amazed it was that big the even the voice actors became celebrities. Good for them. As for the song, I've first heard it in Digimon: The Movie, but they didn't play the whole song. However I did get the chance to here the full song years later on a radio station I listen to often and I did here something about Sailor Moon. I nowadays think this song might be consider the one that define the 90s (or maybe it's just me). As a side note, I didn't know the group that sings this song are from Canada.

By the way why do you wish you had those financial papers of whatever particular year?

enurtsol wrote:

Aquasakura wrote:

Although there have been cases that an old dub has been re-release. For example a company called Discoteck Media has re-release old dubs of these shows called Samurai Pizza Cats and Monster Rangers. So I guess there are those who do want to see the old dubs probably for nostalgia reasons (or so as a means they can get together with their friends and rip off/make fun of just how terrible they were).

Those dubs weren't terrible though. Changed in the case of Samurai Pizza Cats, but not terrible. Heck, that's the only reason people even remember that show. Before that, people hadn't heard of it, and even afterwards, fansubbers weren't interested in subbing the original (back then, we did try to find anyone who's interested in doing it).

Wow! The U.S dub that show were that good that know one bother to translate the Japanese dub at the time. Never heard this before. Well just in case you are still interested Discoteck Media has also already release the Japanese dub of Samurai Pizza Cats with English subtitles late last month. http://www.discotekmedia.com/kyatto_ninden_teyandee.htm

enurtsol wrote:

IMHO here's my thoughts on this, as one who's probably on SM mailing lists before many of ya had even heard of it, being on this phenomenon relatively early instead of years after original broadcast:

I think initially Naoko Takeuchi was reveling on her surprise worldwide fame and riches beyond her wildest dreams. Why wouldn't she? She's young and relatively fresh to the top; it's her first big megahit; it's what made her to where she's now. Anybody in her position would be reveling. She was even smiling from ear-to-ear when she visited the Anime Crash store traveling in the U.S. - here's a photo! Smile

(Now ya guys be asking what's Anime Crash? Laughing )

And here's a letter:

• In the planning stage for this new Sailor manga serial, her editor, Mr. OsaBU (called "Osappi" in English in Mixxzine) suggested Naoko-sensei about creating Sailor suited soldier as new character. Then, she got the idea from "Go-ranger" (Power Ranger) to make 5 sailor soldiers as a team. Sailor Moon's story was staged in space because Naoko-sensei was a big fan of "Uchuu Senkan Yamato."

Sailor Moon had a blessed start. Kodansha and Toei took a strategy called "Media Mix" which not only publishes manga but also takes it to TV at the same time.

Naoko-sensei originally prepared story only for one season to go with the TV series (nobody thought it was going to be such a BIG hit), therefore, she repeatedly struggled to come up with new story for each season.

TV episodes caught up with manga in the end of the first season. That's why "Makaiju-hen" (Doomtree series) was added to TV's R season. So, there's no Ann or Alan in manga! Remember!!!

She told Mr. OsaBU "I wanna quit!" at numerous times. She says "It was incredibly dreamy 5 years. Even though I struggled at times, I was having fun, joy, and happiness of my life."

She really appreciates all the support received from fans and people who helped her during the five years.

A message from Naoko-sensei to fans in all over the world

Naoko-sensei wrote a message for fans all over the world in "Genga-shuu Vol. 5." I think a lot of fans in the US also own this book. But did you all know that there is a message for us in the end? It's written in Japanese.

The following is an excerpt/summary of what she says in that message.

(She said she read fan letter from Jakarta and another one from Reunion Island after completing the drawing of the cover of this book.)

• There are people who support Sailor Moon manga or anime in places where I don't even know! This is exciting!

Everytime I read fan letters from somewhere far away, it brings tears in my eyes. Tears of joy. It warms up my heart and makes me say "I'm going to live my life fully from tomorrow."

I was able to discover this kind of joy by drawing Sailor Moon.

First, "Sailor Moon" was a little personal world made up and existed only in my mind. But now with many people's work, it's spread all over the world.

Seeing many people from all over the world writing to me and saying "I love Sailor Moon," I know that it happened for real. I won't say "I can't believe it" anymore.

I used to think people in other countries have different languages, lifestyle, race, and therefore, it is difficult to understand each other. But now I know everybody is the same human being. With everybody's power, everybody can share the same feeling.

I have many dreams. One of them is to look at the earth from space. But now, I can think the same thing that an astronaut would think by looking at the earth from space even when I am sitting down facing my desk or laying in my bed.

There's only one earth.

I am very very happy that I can feel this joy.

I am so glad that I drew Sailor Moon. Thank you so much everybody. I dedicate this book to all the Sailor Moon fans all over the world with love. Wishing everybody happiness.....

Naoko Takeuchi
      5/23/1997

These were not isolated incidents. She was enjoying herself. She was enjoying all these different adaptations around the world. (Surely ya guys don't think the N. American version was the only one that made some changes, right?)

SM was planned ("manufactured") from the start to become a hit in Japan - that's why the manga, the anime, the merchandise, the marketing blitz, etc. all came about almost simultaneously. (It wasn't the traditional route where an artist toils on her manga -> the manga gets successful enough to become an anime -> anime becomes a hit -> merchandise!) That it became a worldwide phenomenon exceeded the production committee's expectations. Those adaptations did their job, what they're supposed to do --make them money and famous-- and Naoko Takeuchi was a premiere cog going along in that machine.

Now, as not too uncommon as artists become older, they become more attached and look back on what else they could've done with their baby. SM was Takeuchi's big breakthrough, her magnum opus, her one big baby. Of course she'd wanna go back and do her one and only properly, this time do it her way, without needing Toei and production committee alongside to emphasize manufacturing a lucrative phenomenon around the world.
[/url][/quote]

Interesting! I been wanting to know the history behind the making if Sailor Moon ever since after reading Codename: Sailor V. As for Anime Crash I wouldn't have heard of it, but not just because I wasn't as familair with Japanese animation at the time, but I am going to assume it was in California (most likely located in Los Angeles) and I don't live in that state. That and I also haven't heard of a Sailor Moon mailing lists, but again it wasn't like I could have heard of such a thing at the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
BooktapC wrote:

No one in Japan gives a crap about Lily C.A.T. or Samurai Pizza Cats, but people, including it's creator, still care about the original Sailor Moon, and remember it fondly.

You seem to be making it a more complicated issue than it is.

Kyatto Ninden Teyandee (Samurai Pizza Cats) was a very popular anime of it's time so I wouldn't say no one cares about it. I just don't think most Japanese care what America does to their shows in general because they are not their primary audience so it doesn't matter. I don't think most Americans care what happens to American cartoons in other countries either. Also there's a general consensus Americans are dumber so they understand if things need to be dumbed down for them. We saw this in video games like Mega Man and Final Fantasy which were dumbed down for American audiences, or made simpler for American audiences. We are not thought very highly of in other countries in general. It can lead to the Japanese themselves dumbing down American adaptions before hand as well.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:24 am Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:

I heard that whoever dub Cardcaptor Sakura (I forgot the name of the company)

As mentioned, Nelvana.

Aquasakura wrote:

were trying to make Syaoran appear to be the main character of the show.

That's the doing of U.S. TV network WB where Cardcaptors aired.

Aquasakura wrote:

However if that was the case they didn't do such a good with it. I can vaguely remember seeing a few episodes of Cardcaptor Sakura (which they just called "Cardcaptors" as you probably know) and I got the impression the main focus of the show was Sakura instead of Syaoran.

Called it Cardcaptors plural without Sakura's name to emphasize that's it's not just Sakura's show. But they can only do so much rearranging because it is her show.

Aquasakura wrote:

By the way why do you wish you had those financial papers of whatever particular year?

Most anime companies are private, so it's not often to get financial statements on paper, particularly the exact amount paid for how many years. Plus it had some nuggets like why they acquired it and what their plans and expectations for it.

Aquasakura wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Changed in the case of Samurai Pizza Cats, but not terrible. Heck, that's the only reason people even remember that show. Before that, people hadn't heard of it, and even afterwards, fansubbers weren't interested in subbing the original (back then, we did try to find anyone who's interested in doing it).

Wow! The U.S dub that show were that good that know one bother to translate the Japanese dub at the time. Never heard this before. Well just in case you are still interested Discoteck Media has also already release the Japanese dub of Samurai Pizza Cats with English subtitles late last month. http://www.discotekmedia.com/kyatto_ninden_teyandee.htm

It was a young children's anime - fansubbers weren't interested.
(Still thanks, I'm aware of Discotek's release.)

Aquasakura wrote:

Interesting! I been wanting to know the history behind the making if Sailor Moon ever since after reading Codename: Sailor V. As for Anime Crash I wouldn't have heard of it, but not just because I wasn't as familair with Japanese animation at the time, but I am going to assume it was in California (most likely located in Los Angeles) and I don't live in that state. That and I also haven't heard of a Sailor Moon mailing lists, but again it wasn't like I could have heard of such a thing at the time.

SM mailing lists were before web forums. Cool

Anime Crash was one of those few early anime retail stores, but it no longer exists. If you look at the top middle of the photo, at the end of Sailor Moon's speech bubble, ya could see the letters "NYC."

That Anime Crash was on 4th St. of downtown Manhattan right across from Tower Records. It had a prominent window display (I think that's the one Naoko Takeuchi is standing in front of) and a large flag of its logo flying on top so no way ya can miss the store. Laughing

kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:30 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

As for Animax dubs, I thought the Nodame Cantabile dub, which can be heard in the stream carried by Crackle, was pretty decent. The actors don't have the panache of Kawasumi Ayako and Seki Tomokazu though.

Thats probably because that dub was i believe produced in LA. It has a lot of VA's that typically work on Bang Zoom, NYAV and Studiopolis dubs. No US dvd release yet is surprising though.
For the lip flap thing, i heard that the movie Spriggan also had the dialogue recorded first and then animated, though i am not positive this is correct.

Oh, and i watched Cardcaptors when it first aired in America when i was about 9 or 10 years old. At the time i naturally didn't mind the dub. It most likely won't hold up to me today but at the time i really liked Sakura's voice. You can even say she may have been my first waifu if i knew about that concept back then Embarassed
Other than that, the dub's edits didn't fool me: I always knew Sakura was the true hero and Sayoran was secondary.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:38 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
No US dvd release yet is surprising though.

The problem seems to lie with Sony.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I think Justin was speaking about anime for television with their limited budgets.

What? He was not. He was referring to all anime, series and movies alike.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit to having some nostalgia over the DiC Sailor Moon dub, but only for the first two seasons, which I saw most of on TV in the late 90s. When I got S and SuperS on DVD in 2003, I think I spent 10 seconds listening to the new cast before switching to the Japanese track and never looking back. Though unlike the case of DBZ, that nostalgia does not lead me to prefer the overall dub script/acting/music/edits over the original. But if you want a cheesy 90s throwback to a time when everything was trying to be Clueless, you can do a lot worse. And I do prefer some of Serena's "creative" insults of Rini over Usagi always simply calling Chibiusa "uncute."

Purplewarrior13 wrote:
It just gets confusing. It's not that bad in Sailor Moon since the characters are introduced at different times, but that was one thing I appreciated about the old dub.
It was pretty good about it, though there was one episode where the Victim of the Week got renamed from Reika to Rita, forming some bit of confusion against Lita. You'd think they could've gone with "Renee" or some other name instead of Rita.

I do recall hearing that one of the Naruto movies was done voices-first, but that could easily be one of those Internet Rumors(tm).

Quote:
Without a useful M&E track, any dub production would require coming up with an all-new audio track, including sound effects and music queues.
Apologies for the Grammar Fascism, but it's music cues. Though AnimEigo did famously pull off this approach for their Bubblegum Crisis 2033 dub, and maybe Manga Entertainment for Macross Plus ep 04.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7