• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Super Manga Pals: Dawn of Justice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Asrialys wrote:
What's the Tumblr link about the criticism on the recent Sailor Moon translations?

This isn't the tumblr page, but the site associated with it.

http://www.wewantserena.com/

Haha, yeah, I saw that when Zac mentioned it on Twitter. But it seems there's something else concerning the manga.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
This isn't the tumblr page, but the site associated with it.

http://www.wewantserena.com/

I love how she turns the name Usagi into this completely unknowable idea, as if the sheer knowledge of the translation would drive you insane.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Godzilla had the largest May opening for Warner Bros. in North America, but it's less than half that of Avengers: World's Mightiest Heroes in May 2012 ($207.4 million), and it's not even 2014's biggest opening weekend (Captain America: The Winter Soldier opened with just under $2 million more in April).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I...I don't know what to say, or how to feel.

I...I just...want to...LAUGH!
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
Massacred dubs are rare now, but they're (unfortunately) not extinct. We just got a new one in Doraemon. Sad
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:

This is the most absurd thing ever. They are treating Usagi like some Voldemort curse where uttering her name on this mortal realm will cause untold masses of chaos and destruction so it dare not be uttered by mere humans. And their testimonials page are just random tumblr posts. What.

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Massacred dubs are rare now, but they're (unfortunately) not extinct. We just got a new one in Doraemon. Sad

The only hackjob dub currently on TV is Yu-Gi-Oh. So saying hackjob dubS don't exist is true. There's only one with Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal. Dub with no plural. With Doraemon we'll go back to the plural. Anime on TV is dead outside Adult Swim these days which is why they're so rare now. I think Doraemon will bomb. Not because of bad dubs. Bad dubs never cause something to bomb because kids dont care about quality. It's just it's a comedy anime and those seem to always do bad in America.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote
About the Sailor Moon chat and the repetitiveness of the "monster-of-the-week" format: Sailor Moon is legitmately my favourite 1990s anime TV series, and, specifically, the first season directed by Jun'ichi Sato (not that I don't enjoy episodes of the show after Sato left, but the later seasons never quite recaptured the simple magic of the first season). However, I'll fully admit, I usually enjoy the first half or two-thirds of the episode a lot more than the final third, after the monster-of-the-week manifests. I loved the comedy and I also appreciated the slice-of-life aspects, the more mundane, the better.

As incongruous as it may seem, Sailor Moon was the gateway drug not so much into appreciating other magical girl shows but appreciating the moé slice-of-life shows I adore today, everything from K-On! to Strawberry Marshmallow to Minami-ke, as well as slice-of-life fantasy hybrid shows like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Kamichu!, and A Certain Scientific Railgun, which are like everything I loved about Sailor Moon season 1 without the transformations and attacks and powers and youma and reincarnation and fantasy kingdom backstories. Just girls sitting around doing mundane stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:14 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

When Rurouni Kenshin came out on Toonami I remember one guy complaining about how the English dub butchered the fact that Yahiko and Sanosuke hated each other because In the "Japanese version Yahiko and Sanosuke cussed at each other all the time" since the fansub he watched was one of those old fansubs where the guy added a bunch of swear words to make shonen jump shows look more mature.

Hecto Fansubs. They were famous for that. Everybody knew they were doing it.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:15 am Reply with quote
Thanks for taking my question about Comic Walker. The service's problems are pretty easy to see just from their website. Switch the language to English and you'll see there are 35 titles, but only 4 have scheduled updates in the next month (as of this posting). And I hadn't even noticed the bad translation work Deb & Rebecca mentioned; guess I picked competently translated titles to read (mostly I'm interested in the Angel Beats! prequel on Comic Walker).

It's not the first time we've seen Japan do a splashy launch (website, mobile apps) and then not follow up; in the case of Funico, they never even got past the press release. I was tempted to compare it to Daisuki, which last year was handing out goodie bags at Anime Central, and this year was nowhere to be seen. But at least they've been updating their content every week with new shows, so if Daisuki fails, it won't be for lack of trying. With Comic Walker, on the other hand, "not trying" is exactly how I'd describe their current state.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:16 am Reply with quote
Godzilla's been a "mainstream success" in the U.S. since it was created in Japan. If you mean 'mainstream' in the sense that it tried to place more emphasis on the Japanese perspective of these films, rather than slap a shitty mono dub on all the actors, then I guess it can be considered a success. Though I guess you could argue it's the biggest box office opener of the bunch, even when adjusted for inflation. Anyway, while it's true all the Godzilla movies focus too much on the human characters, at least their stories are more interconnected to the main narrative. With this film, though, it felt like Godzilla was treated like an afterthought. Still, at least it's technically better than the Emmerich version. Rolling Eyes

As for it impacting future collaborations, I'd be game for a gritty reboot (TM) of Gamera. And maybe a better Ultraman than that Australian show from the early 90s. Laughing

Zac: I'd be game for an Akira movie if they cast Japanese actors. Anyway, Death Note is WB's only "safe" bet to adapt, because Bleach has way too much Japanese terminology to work in live-action for a casual American audience. I don't think it getting make would make those manga any cheaper, though. They cost as much as they do, because printing is expensive over here, even for the bigger publishers like Marvel and DC.

As for Sailor Moon, I think it was bigger in Japan than here. And I have a feeling that the reason Sailor Moon got pulled for so long is that Toei and Takeuchi were greedy, and would rather it be pirated for 20 years than be low-balled on licensing fees. Regarding Nausicaa, Miyazaki did relent after 'Warriors, by letting FOX have Totoro a few years later. It's just, at the time, Nausicaa was his life's work, which is why it meant more to him than his other films. But, I guess once he started wrapping the story up, he was ready to bury the hatchet over the incident.

Tenchi: Avengers was just a phenomenon that not even its sequel will be able to replicate.

Deb: I think most of those CR manga would probably bomb in print form. In fact, some of them were already ported over from JManga, which was also not a success. Though I figure there's got to be least an audience for Mysterious Girlfriend X in print form.

"Realistic war titles."

First President of Japan. And only in OOP anime form here, but you might have heard of Silent Service, Yugo the Negotiator, and Area 88. Oh, and a certain indie film from Hayao Miyazaki called The Wind Rises. Wink

As for Sailor Moon Says, Viz should just pay DiC to re-use that idea for web shorts. Laughing
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:01 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

As incongruous as it may seem, Sailor Moon was the gateway drug not so much into appreciating other magical girl shows but appreciating the moé slice-of-life shows I adore today.

Actually, that makes a lot of sense. I also really enjoyed the sort of day-to-day aspects of both the show and the manga, although it was the magical girl/fantasy bits that really grabbed me. I also recall being very confused when the dub referred to Makoto's onigiri as "muffins;" I remember thinking, "Does Japan not know how muffins work?" (Thankfully that got cleared up for me pretty quickly!)

You know, thinking about it, much as I love Urasawa's darker mystery series, I think my favorite is actually Happy!.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:03 am Reply with quote
Just read the Nangbaby stuff wow blows my mind. I've always thought that as a fan of foreign animation you SHOULD want your translation to be as close the the Japanese as possible...especially with given and family names! Just goes to show there are two sides to everything.

I've watched a handful of episodes of Sailor Moon in English. Forgot for a minute that they changed "Usagi" to "Serena". I had a very old set of translated comics before I think I remember them calling her "Bunny". I wonder if there are people out there that want "Bunny" back as well?
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:11 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
I've watched a handful of episodes of Sailor Moon in English. Forgot for a minute that they changed "Usagi" to "Serena". I had a very old set of translated comics before I think I remember them calling her "Bunny". I wonder if there are people out there that want "Bunny" back as well?

"Bunny" can be defended because it's what "Usagi" means and preserves the impression that she has a weird name...except that a Western audience won't get the rabbit/moon connection, so it's ends up being senseless anyway, although it does still explain her hair.
machetecat

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

"Bunny" can be defended because it's what "Usagi" means and preserves the impression that she has a weird name...except that a Western audience won't get the rabbit/moon connection, so it's ends up being senseless anyway, although it does still explain her hair.
I would actually like the English anime to call her Bunny. Usagi's a name that feels a bit awkward on an English tongue, so imagine kids trying to say it.

That being said, it doesn't matter to me too much. I was introduced through the English anime, so I originally knew her as Serena. However, I collected the series through the Tokyopop manga, so most of the time I knew her name as Bunny. Then when I got older, I saw fan subs and joined communities, so I knew her original name as Usagi. In the end, I and my other friends will constantly interchange the names when discussing her.

All THAT being said, it's not like the dub didn't put an effort out for the American names. Serena happened because her name as a Princess was Serenity. It gave a connection without being the same name. Amy and Rei kept their names, except the spelling changed from Ami to Amy, and Rei's spelling might have changed too. Minako just lost the -ko. Makoto's the only one with an absurd name change (Lita??) but I have a feeling they were trying to find a name that rhymed with Mina.

Even Rini's name had thought put into it. Rini's a nickname for Serena/Serenity (Rena-Rini), AND I heard somewhere that if you spell it in Japanese, it can also mean Rabbit. So it works in the context that Chibi-Usa is meant to be a nickname for Little Usagi.

And hell, when Toei originally advertised this show to a western audience, they were calling Usagi Victoria, Ami was Blue, Makoto was Sarah, Rei was Dana, and Minako was Carrie.

http://youtu.be/C5oWoGBDHb4

So while I have a ton of issues with the old dub, the name changes never bothered me. At least SOME thought went into them.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I think one reason Takeuchi is so protective of Sailor Moon is that it's all she's got going for her. She hasn't done a whole lot of work aside from Sailor Moon (which was by far her longest work) and I don't think people care much about Prism Time, Miss Rain, or PQ Angels.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4