• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Broccoli Warns Against Uta-Pri Doujin Goods

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
This thread once again shows just how f-u-c-k-i-n-g entitled anime/manga fans are.
From fansubs to doujishi's. Get this straight, making a doujinshi and selling it at Comiket is a privilege the copyright holder grants the fans.
It's nothing more than that. As such it can be revoked at the copyright holder's request. And when fan made products start eating into the legitimate market you can expect the copyright holder to clamp down on the fans that make said products.

Well sadly for you, there's seem to be evidence that piracy doesn't harm the market at all. After seeing that, it makes me question if Japan's "piracy hurt anime/manga" logic is under fire, and I think it is.

It doesn't matter if piracy hurts the legitimate market or not. What fans fail to understand is that making doujinshi using commercial characters is not a right. You are not entitled to use said characters.
If you want to make doujinshi without any tethers make up your own characters. Companies may turn a blind eye because it suits them, but the ultimate decision wether to allow or disallow doujinshi is up to the company not to the fans. Even if companies allow the making of douhinshi there are very strict conditions attached : such as you cannot sell them like a commercial product would. You can only make few copies and sell them at specific markets (Comiket & co).
And this is even more true for products such as fan model kits, and other types of fan made merchandises that rely on a commercial brand to sell.

I would respect a fan that is concious of what he is doing (even if it's illegal) instead of trying to rationalize an illegal behaviour.
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
MisterLuck wrote:
If I was Broccoli? I would just copy the designs and works of the fans selling them using better paper and materials for their fan created works. Just to see if the fans can win in court which they won't. Laughing

It doesn't usually work that way, Usually the fan made goods are of much better quality. Some of the doujinshi I've bought have far superior quality. Thicker and whiter paper, and things like a foil stamp on the cover. Plastic Slip Cover, Glitter embellishment, and so on. I've been often impressed about how nice the printing is.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

A better idea is just for the doujin creators to pay a small amount in royalties to Broccoli, 2% of the profits from sales maximum. All Broccoli wants is a piece of the pie and they could get their fair share if this happened.
I don't think it's the book doujins that are taking the profits away, cause I will hazard a guess most of theose are H anyway. No I think it's more the buttons, jewellery, solid merchandise like that.

UtaPri does have a good number of H Doujinshi, but if you look on places like Toranoana or C-Queen they have far more all ages doujinshi. It's far more common to see cute fluff doujinshi than actual H stuff For otome based series.

As for profit, this article is a little old but an interesting read:
http://fanhackers.transformativeworks.org/2012/06/how-much-money-do-doujinshi-creators-actually-make-some-statistics-from-comiket/ Over Half lose money. Only the top 20% make over $500
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
sunflower wrote:
Why would people buy fake merchandise if the official merchandise met their needs? Broccoli needs to take all the ideas from the fake stuff that's selling and copy it themselves. What will the fans do, sue?

Broccoli has every right to protect their product, but they need to do it in a smart way. Being asses (kind of like Funimation and DMI have done at times) only serves to alienate fans, including those who may actually buy from them.

1) Character merchandise from supporting and even some main characters may not exist on official channels. This is a huge problem for me since quite a few series have characters I like but don't get official figures.

2) Quality, sometimes the merchandise that's official are of not so desirable or bad quality and the merchandise from a doujin circle has better quality. It still happens but was more of an issue around 2002-2003 where figures weren't of the best quality.

3) Preference, the best chance to get a figure or dakimakura (especially 18+ ones) that suits your fetish is from a doujin circle.

1) My first sentence wasn't standalone. Hence the second, suggesting Broccoli copy the popular fan merchandise.

2) I've never seen fan merchandise of better quality than official merchandise. It may happen on occasion, but it would be rare. Most fan stuff is obviously made by amateurs.

3) See #1.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As a reaction to Broccoli's cease and desist threats, @lune_de_minuit_ followed up with this tweet:

I didn't receive this, but...... I'm scared...... Hmmm. Should I stop making [merchandise]?...... No. I can't lose to Broccoli. We're a not-for-profit group, aren't we? If Broccoli won't make it, there are people who will. If 2-D stops, there'll be an effect on 1-D as well...... is what I said.

Why restrict our concerns to the monodimensional? If that inference is sound, zero-dimensional objects may just as easily be at risk! Alas, those point-like things. How small and fragile they are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
sunflower wrote:
Why would people buy fake merchandise if the official merchandise met their needs? Broccoli needs to take all the ideas from the fake stuff that's selling and copy it themselves. What will the fans do, sue?

Broccoli has every right to protect their product, but they need to do it in a smart way. Being asses (kind of like Funimation and DMI have done at times) only serves to alienate fans, including those who may actually buy from them.

1) Character merchandise from supporting and even some main characters may not exist on official channels. This is a huge problem for me since quite a few series have characters I like but don't get official figures.

2) Quality, sometimes the merchandise that's official are of not so desirable or bad quality and the merchandise from a doujin circle has better quality. It still happens but was more of an issue around 2002-2003 where figures weren't of the best quality.

3) Preference, the best chance to get a figure or dakimakura (especially 18+ ones) that suits your fetish is from a doujin circle.

1) My first sentence wasn't standalone. Hence the second, suggesting Broccoli copy the popular fan merchandise.

2) I've never seen fan merchandise of better quality than official merchandise. It may happen on occasion, but it would be rare. Most fan stuff is obviously made by amateurs.

3) See #1.

Maybe Broccoli and other companies doesn't think that items of the nature will sell at all especially for supporting characters unless they are a breakout character. I don't agree with the reason though.

I have seen some fan merchandise with better quality than some of the official offerings.

The reason you don't see any actual 18+ Dakimakura of characters from non-VN games and non-hentai anime is because they want a wider audience of buyers. Contrary to popular belief, not all people who own a dakimakura are in it for sexual reasons. It's the same with figures as well although you do see some 18+ fare from borderline H series and some moderate ecchi series.

Last edited by Hoppy800 on Sat May 24, 2014 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Well sadly for you, there's seem to be evidence that piracy doesn't harm the market at all. After seeing that, it makes me question if Japan's "piracy hurt anime/manga" logic is under fire, and I think it is.

It doesn't matter if piracy hurts the legitimate market or not. What fans fail to understand is that making doujinshi using commercial characters is not a right. You are not entitled to use said characters.
If you want to make doujinshi without any tethers make up your own characters. Companies may turn a blind eye because it suits them, but the ultimate decision wether to allow or disallow doujinshi is up to the company not to the fans. Even if companies allow the making of douhinshi there are very strict conditions attached : such as you cannot sell them like a commercial product would. You can only make few copies and sell them at specific markets (Comiket & co).
And this is even more true for products such as fan model kits, and other types of fan made merchandises that rely on a commercial brand to sell.

I would respect a fan that is concious of what he is doing (even if it's illegal) instead of trying to rationalize an illegal behaviour.

But Japanese firms tend to be a little power hungry when it comes to merchandise, no wonder why a lot of stuff are overpriced over there, my major criticism of Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

But Japanese firms tend to be a little power hungry when it comes to merchandise, no wonder why a lot of stuff are overpriced over there, my major criticism of Japan.

At least some of the stuff on the list is justifiable like pizza, but movie ticket prices are outrageous by any countries' standards.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

At least some of the stuff on the list is justifiable like pizza, but movie ticket prices are outrageous by any countries' standards.

Are you kidding me (not being mean or insulting you)? I can buy a large pepperoni pizza for $5 at my local Caesar Pizza store. the $31 dollar for a pizza blows my mind when I saw the price. I'll agreed with you on the price of the movie ticket, ridiculously overpriced!!! Mad

There's more ridiculously overpriced stuff in Japan when i look around more and more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

Buying 3D IMAX tickets or whatever extra gimmicks offered will land you nearly at the same price. Japan's movie tickets have always been high, but our inflation will make us reach it soon enough.

mdo7 wrote:
Are you kidding me (not being mean or insulting you)? I can buy a large pepperoni pizza for $5 at my local Caesar Pizza store. the $31 dollar for a pizza blows my mind when I saw the price. I'll agreed with you on the price of the movie ticket, ridiculously overpriced!!!

That's factoring in delivery costs, please use your reading skills next time. To order a single large pizza for delivery here costs at least $15, and then you have to tip them on top of that. And you guys needs to can it with the "Japan alone is so expensive!" I wouldn't want to live in most northern European cities either with their costs of living.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

Are you kidding me (not being mean or insulting you)? I can buy a large pepperoni pizza for $5 at my local Caesar Pizza store. the $31 dollar for a pizza blows my mind when I saw the price. I'll agreed with you on the price of the movie ticket, ridiculously overpriced!!! Mad

There's more ridiculously overpriced stuff in Japan when i look around more and more.

I can't see myself paying over $100 for a melon or any fruit that wasn't a luxury item everywhere else in the world.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Buying 3D IMAX tickets or whatever extra gimmicks offered will land you nearly at the same price. Japan's movie tickets have always been high, but our inflation will make us reach it soon enough.

That's factoring in delivery costs, please use your reading skills next time. To order a single large pizza for delivery here costs at least $15, and then you have to tip them on top of that. And you guys needs to can it with the "Japan alone is so expensive!" I wouldn't want to live in most northern European cities either with their costs of living.

I don't go to IMAX theater, so that's why I'm not complaining about it. But paying $19 at a non-IMAX theater in Japan is ridiculous.

About the pizza, I talked to other people that lived in Japan even if you don't have the pizza delivered, the price over there is just ridiculous, and it's not just pizza but other food too.

Also back on topic, why is Broccoli the only company warning against dojin yet other companies/firms are not raising the same issue??
Ziko577

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
This thread once again shows just how f-u-c-k-i-n-g entitled anime/manga fans are.
From fansubs to doujishi's. Get this straight, making a doujinshi and selling it at Comiket is a privilege the copyright holder grants the fans.
It's nothing more than that. As such it can be revoked at the copyright holder's request. And when fan made products start eating into the legitimate market you can expect the copyright holder to clamp down on the fans that make said products.

I don't think it's really a matter of privilege per se. In fact, how many companies make money from doujin goods? Most of it goes to the actual producers of said products i.e. mangaka, artists, etc. So I seriously doubt that it's hurting the company much. I mean, does a company want their characters banging each other in a H-manga?
GarzotaBTC

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Broccoli wants to search on Google Transparency Report in order to check out for doujinshi groups that are sending DMCA notices of parodies of their properties.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
What some posters in this thread seem to fail to understand, is that doujinshi as an institution is an integral part of the industry/fandom, and has been that for several decades. It serves as breeding ground for new artists and creativity, many talented doujinka/circles get scouted by publishers. And many mangaka, even after going professional, still make doujin. Case in point Ken Akamatsu, creator of Love Hina.
Doujinshi also helps keep interest up in the various properties, as already mentioned a few times in this thread.

Also, Broccoli is foolish to pursue this avenue. Unlike properties like Gundam and Doraemon, theirs belong mainly in the otaku niche, and Uta-Pri's squarely in the Otome one. As such it's not about trying to keep up a certain image as much as it is about catering to the fans supporting you.

Double foolish if your customers of a particular niche happen to be women, as they usually hold more thriving doujinshi communities than their male counterparts, even historically.

Triply foolish as women have proven to be quite loyal customers, as well as piracy-resistant, when it comes to niches that cater to them. With this move Broccoli risks alienating their entire Otome-line customer-base, and I wouldn't be surprised if it'll sends ripples to the rest of their properties as well.

The old adage still applies, it's foolish to bite the hand that feeds you...
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
*long story made short*

Thank you, that long statement is good enough to some readers like cptn_Taylor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3