• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AKB48 Idols Undergo Successful Surgery After Attack

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wohdin

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Umeta's mother responded to press inquiries on Sunday night, saying that he did a terrible thing, and that it is appropriate that she apologize

Um, no. What would be appropriate is for the criminal to apologize. Asian culture needs to stop perpetuating this notion that anyone can just apologize away another person's mistakes. You're not "saving face", you're trying to get someone else out of dealing with the consequences of their actions.

To be fair, this isn't something that only happens in Asia, or even predominantly - we have a disturbing amount of this in the West too - but it's the much deeper aspect of the general populace almost expecting such empty apologies from any and everyone who is in any way affiliated with the perpetrator(s), even if they had absolutely nothing to do with the incident in question, that is much more troubling to me. They don't want to deal with the root source of these problems, and instead all look to their left for someone or something to glare at blamingly when things go down.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
mdo: I'm sure it's a problem in S. Korea, too, but they seem to encourage this kind of crap in Japan. I don't know if that's the case in SK, though.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
Well if they needed surgery then it sounds pretty serious. And a laceration to the head just sounds terrible yikes!!!

But he was wielding a saw? Like a tiny one I assume? If it was like giant (or a chainsaw, which it was not) then someone probably would have noticed ahead of time.
誤称

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
Seriously? Are we arguing about his mother standing up, doing the right thing and expressing that she's sorry her son did a terrible thing to two young women? How the fudge can you even justify that? She's not bloody trying to forgiveness, she's simply stating that her son is a failure as a human being and is sorry that he's done such a horrific thing.

It's totally appropriate for her to apologize, although its isn't HER responsibility to do so. Its simply the right thing to do.

It makes me sick that I even need to say this.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:06 am Reply with quote
unitmikey wrote:
Well if they needed surgery then it sounds pretty serious. And a laceration to the head just sounds terrible yikes!!!

But he was wielding a saw? Like a tiny one I assume? If it was like giant (or a chainsaw, which it was not) then someone probably would have noticed ahead of time.
Japanese-style saws have much longer handles than the ones you're probably thinking of, along with thinner blades. Try and tell me this doesn't look like it'd leave a nasty wound. It's basically a sword!
Pikawil

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:18 am Reply with quote
What led the madman to try an insane attack on idols like this? Was it misogyny, which would make him the Japanese Elliot Rodger and just one day after? Or was it a less psychological explanation?
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:22 am Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:
Um, no. What would be appropriate is for the criminal to apologize. Asian culture needs to stop perpetuating this notion that anyone can just apologize away another person's mistakes. You're not "saving face", you're trying to get someone else out of dealing with the consequences of their actions.

It's not unreasonable for a parent to feel responsible for how their kids turned out.
Pado

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:40 am Reply with quote
It seems that the injured male staff member was able to discharge in the morning and so did Kawaei and Iriyama later in the day ( http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/videonews/jnn?a=20140526-00000033-jnn-soci ). Thank goodness ~~.

The handshake event was hold indoors, where the members were waiting behind a table inside a tent, which looks like this from outside:

It seems that the suspect wasn't targeting any member specifically (Kawaei and Iriyama just happened to be at the front of the table inside the handshake event tent along with 3 other members), but why he somehow chose AKB48 even though he wasn't a fan or anything is not exactly explained... But as one still need a specific "National Handshake event ticket" that comes with a Limited Edition CD single to get in, it still seems like a planned random assault though...

As explained before, it seems there wasn't any security check on bags that day. The security only checked whether people were holding anything in their hands before they go in to shake hands. However, the suspect didn't had a bag with him and actually hid the "saw" that was 50cm long inside his jacket, which he drew out and suddenly started to attack with it after he got in the tent.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:27 am Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:
Quote:
Umeta's mother responded to press inquiries on Sunday night, saying that he did a terrible thing, and that it is appropriate that she apologize

In the "old days" his whole family would have been put to the sword if it was someone of class, or nobility. In Japan today just having to publicly apologise for anything is enough to send some to suicide afterwards and society wouldn't bat an eyebrow, but expect it. I bet no one's got her on suicide watch either.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:19 am Reply with quote
I just listen to this on NHK World news this morning. I'll quot the whole article:

NHK World wrote:

Pop groups cancel events after attack on AKB48

Japan's top all-girl pop idol group AKB48 and its sister groups have canceled events following Sunday's assault on 2 of its members.

The 2 members of AKB48 and a male staff member were attacked by a 24-year-old man with a saw during a hand-shake event held in Takizawa City, Iwate Prefecture in northern Japan. The assailant was arrested on the spot.

The 2 teenage victims reportedly suffered bone fractures on their fingers as well as cuts on their heads and arms. They underwent surgery Sunday night, and left the hospital on Monday evening.

The group's management company on Monday announced on its blog it had cancelled AKB48 concert scheduled later in the day at the group's theater in Tokyo.

AKB sister group NMB48, based in Osaka, also postponed its concert planned Monday morning. The group's management posted a message on its homepage saying it had no choice but to postpone the event. It added the group's security procedures will be overhauled.

Another AKB48 fan event scheduled on Monday in Kanazawa City, along the Japan Sea coast, has also been postponed.

AKB48's management has organized various events, including hand-shakes, under the concept "Idols you can meet."

May 26, 2014 - Updated 08:13 UTC

Yeah AKB48 and their management has cancelled upcoming events as a response to what happen to the 2 members.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
Maybe they should cancel handshake events for good, they are becoming a security risk and the managers obviously don't want the necessary inconvenience of US and European tier security at the events.
kanechin

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't think they should cancel these events. That guy could had attacked a random person on the street, should people stop going outside without body armor?

Plus they lose their $$$ if the bonus for buying more of their crap is lost. No more idol handshakes = no more extra cd sales.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
They should get their act together and beef up security. There has been so much evidence displayed that these guys are unhealthily obsessed with this group.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
guildmaster

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
glover:
Quote:
Unlike America, Japan's a very low violent country. Not much need for high security all the time. This is just a freak case.

Yes, but, once again, acts of crime are likely to be higher against idols.

Quote:
And given the info of no CDS or tickets in his home, it might not have even been a fan. Just a wandering vagrant who saw a group of people and decided to attack them.

So they just let some random dude butt into line when he doesn't even have any official business there? That's even worse.

So,,, you had to have expired concert tickets and / or the group's CDs to be admitted to the event??? That's strange, but it is Japan.

Did some reading. I guess you do, to get the so-called coupons. What a joke, these otaku need to get their heads out of their asses.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I know my points have been stated by others before, but, hell, gonna say it anyway.

Goodness, this has happened several times in the past (Rie Tanaka incident comes first into mind). I thought their idol/entertainment industry has learnt one lesson or two. A bit of security improvement won't hurt. Not necessarily US Secret Service-level protection (that still didn't stop someone from throwing shoes at you). An addition of metal detector will do. Apparently not. Sad

Sure, Japan is one of the safest place in the world. But that doesn't mean there are no people with, er, destructive mindset lurking inside their society. And there's no guarantee none of them would ever come near their idols.

Good to hear both girls are alright. I sincerely hope the idol industry bosses beef up the security in such events before "just another freak incident" happens... in a wholly different scale where words "Told ya!!" would be useless. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2