• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Stream Terror in Resonance Anime by Cowboy Bebop's Watanabe

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
So deciding to take the profit themselves makes them dickheads? Making money & smart decisions apparently makes you a dickhead.

No, the possibility of them either putting the show out sub-only or changing the FUNimation dub cast makes them dickheads.

I know it doesn't bother you in particular very much, but there are a ton of angry fangirls out there (and a few fanboys too) who would go absolutely ballistic if they didn't get their British-accented J. Michael Tatum.

And before you say "Well, they should just outsource the dub to FUNi, then," who's to say that FUNi would even agree to do that?
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised that Funi announced this this early.

SouthPacific wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
So deciding to take the profit themselves makes them dickheads? Making money & smart decisions apparently makes you a dickhead.

derp

Please Aniplex, do take Black Butler. Continue to make money so that you can also continue to help fund amazing anime like Mushishi Very Happy!!

Just saying, but there's absolutely no reason to assume that Aniplex would get Black Butler 3 instead of Funi. Otherwise we'd already have seen Aniplex sets of Black Butler 1 & 2, Fullmetal Alchemist, Persona 4, and any other Aniplex title that Aniplex doesn't have over here. (Funi must've passed on Mushishi; the fact that the first season is under their SAVE line rather than their Viridian Collection/Anime Classics line is a bit telling; as for the AnoHana film, either NISA didn't want it since it was a compilation film or they have much less negotiating power [usually their standard release would come out around or before the premium release is completely sold out; the SE Anohana release came out more than half a year after the PE sold out most likely due to a BD set re-release in Japan])
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
...Black Butler on the other hand was a big hit.

That having been said, I still think Black Butler 3 could go either way, depending on whether or not AoA wants to be complete dickheads in the situation.

derp

Please Aniplex, do take Black Butler. Continue to make money so that you can also continue to help fund amazing anime like Mushishi Very Happy!!

I would not exactly call AoA dick heads if they license Black Butler 3, but it will be a dumb move if the dub is not done by Funimation. I am a fan of Black Butler and do not mind AoA pricing, but I will be pissed if J. Michael Tatum and the rest of the English cast cannot reprise their roles.

So, please Funimation license the new Butler and make lots of money to help you license more anime. An Aniplex USA's release will not aid much Aniplex Japan's ability to produce more anime anyway.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

*THIS* is an Aniplex show too. So is Ping Pong.

Perhaps you can explain why CR lists the publisher of Ping Pong as Fuji Creative Corporation?:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/ping-pong-the-animation

Tatsunoko Production was the studio animating the series, so where was Aniplex's involvement?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

*THIS* is an Aniplex show too. So is Ping Pong.

Perhaps you can explain why CR lists the publisher of Ping Pong as Fuji Creative Corporation?:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/ping-pong-the-animation

Tatsunoko Production was the studio animating the series, so where was Aniplex's involvement?

Because it's on Aniplex of Japan's website:

http://www.aniplex.co.jp/lineup/anime/pingpong/
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote
You make a tiny mention of black butler and suddenly it turns into a licensing war topic lol i should have not mentioned it at all Smile hmm
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow need to check this out. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:09 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Because it's on Aniplex of Japan's website:

http://www.aniplex.co.jp/lineup/anime/pingpong/

Point taken.

No doubt you are aware that just because Aniplex is invovled in some aspect of the production, doesn't mean they control the licensing.

If A-1 Studios is handling the animation (as is the case with Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus), you can expect Aniplex to handle the license, but as with Ping Pong, this anime is handled by another studio.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

No, the possibility of them either putting the show out sub-only or changing the FUNimation dub cast makes them dickheads.

I know it doesn't bother you in particular very much, but there are a ton of angry fangirls out there (and a few fanboys too) who would go absolutely ballistic if they didn't get their British-accented J. Michael Tatum.

And before you say "Well, they should just outsource the dub to FUNi, then," who's to say that FUNi would even agree to do that?

As someone who doesn't take too much notice of dubs, it does indeed not bother me much. I can however understand how some people may want the original dub cast. And if Aniplex decides they want the license & Funimation doesn't want to produce the dub, then isn't Funimation to blame? Aniplex have no obligation of giving up a property that could potentially create revenue. On the other hand, Funimation do have a certain moral obligation (I guess?) to keep their fanbase happy. And most dub fans tend to enjoy Funimation dubs.

And aren't fangirls/fanboys pretty much the western version of crazed otaku? Except they don't pack the economical punch that the otaku does... Wink. Semi-serious jokes aside, if possible it would definitely be most ideal to have the original dub cast, if a dub is to be created that is.

And since a few others have taken note of the topic, this is all speculation so far. Personally I think the license will go to Funimation, but you never know... We'll get all the info soon enough.

EDIT: Since 2012 Aniplex have only allowed NA companies to license 1 of their titles (From the New World) produced by A-1 Pictures. I guess Black Butler will prove if sequels are exempt from this, or if basically all of their future productions will be AoA-only.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
And with that image {not part of the trailer, thank you} and the phrase "terror in resonance", I already hate this show. Well done, my attention was grabbed.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I think the Fuji Creative Corporation is a branch of Fuji specializing in promotion. The show should listed under Aniplex's catalog with the ANZF code instead of ANZX. I have a Fuji TV Noitamina/Aniplex title in my collection and here are what the spines look like:
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

EDIT: Since 2012 Aniplex have only allowed NA companies to license 1 of their titles (From the New World) produced by A-1 Pictures. I guess Black Butler will prove if sequels are exempt from this, or if basically all of their future productions will be AoA-only.

CR lists the publisher as TVAsahi, not Aniplex, so despite it being produced by A-1 Pictures it appears Aniplex didn't control international licensing rights to that title.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I get "The uploader has not made this video available in your country" from Australia.

There is an official Japanese trailer here which was not blocked for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONnhZEnvaNA
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex had no involvement in From the New World. Aired on Asahi published by Pony Canyon. I think there is a misconception that all A-1 studio involvement points back to Aniplex. Crunchyroll seems to be listing the TV networks that these shows aired on I'm assuming that that is who they go through to acquire the streaming rights.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex being on the production committee doesn't necessarily mean they hold international rights to the title. That is the case for quite a few Noitamina titles that are handled internationally by Noitamina (Fuji Creative Corporation) instead. One example would be Robotics;Notes, which Aniplex even releases on home video in Japan (and on their website too). Aniplex's logo is not on the bottom of FUNimation's website for the series, while you can see for Guilty Crown that it is (and Guilty Crown, on the other hand, doesn't have a Noitamina logo on its page like Robotics;Notes does).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3