• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fairy Tail BD+DVD Parts 7-8

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:40 am Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
And as for the dubbing, the best dub by far is the Animax dub, each character VA is fantastic and evokes the characters in wonderful ways. Sadly the Class A VA team of Animax only dubbed Fairy Tail up thru ep 104, but this cycle is fully done by them and really great in every way. Especially well done are Natsu, Grey, Lucy, and Erza, and Happy....but all of the rest are very good too. It is worthwhile watching this set for it is by far and above much much better than the Funi version. The Japanese original is better but not accessible to all due to the language barrier.

I'm sorry to be the guy who has to say this, but Animax can't dub in English worth a crap. Are you seriously calling their so-called work professional and well done? And saying they're much better than Funi? Just wow. Shocked

All I can say is good riddance to the "Class A" voice cast you're giving way too much praise to.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:40 am Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
Sorry but One Piece is a shallow and trivial series without quality and overly kinetic.

Fairy Tail is for many reasons which appear to be beyond many people's usual experience or understanding of fantasy literature..very good indeed. It is much better than just about any other similar genre series. And it continues to get better.

And yes the Animax Dub is superb one of the best dubs into English I have seen. Just sorry that the A team of their VA did not carry on with episodes after 104. We can hope they may do the latest season.

Reviewers of any form of art, or literature are NOT guaranteed to understand or know what they are talking about just because they are chosen to publish their works. In this case and in the case of many of the posts i have seen on Fairy Tail, its special mix of Japanese culture, Japanese view of fantasy and anime in particular seems opaque to many western viewers and esp to many fans of anime. I am far more than a fan, i have been studying anime in a dedicated fashion in depth for many years now and am a professional artist in both western art and now work in anime and manga myself. But I shared my concerns and views because I am tired of seeing FT panned with such superficial and glib dismissal.

In time I believe true values will emerge, Fist of the North and One Piece will thankfully be forgotten on the trash heap of transition anime I am glad to say.

Someone's trying way too hard to sound like they know everything about the quality of shonen anime.

I bet you believe Fairy Tail is on the same level as stores by Shakespeare and John Keats. Laughing
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:20 am Reply with quote
Michael Nathanael T. wrote:
thekingsdinner wrote:
"final boss looks disconcertingly like a Pokémon."
I honestly laughed loudly at that part. I don't even know what they're talking about.

They're talking about "Dorma Anim" the strongest enemy in the Edolas arc.
Ah, I see... still though, I don't see how that thing even resembles a Pokemon. I also can't see that as a legitimate complaint unless it's a joke.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:21 am Reply with quote
It's quite entertaining (and sad) when people argue about their opinions as if they were arguing about facts. Seriously people, you look silly.

I wish people would stop using Dragonball Z as the epitome of filler. Naruto is by far the most recent and relevant example of filler overload. Naruto had 2 full years of filler (plus everything since) and DBZ is still the show that gets slack for it? And if you want to talk about fluff, One Piece is the show to go to. Sequences in One Piece that could be done in 1 minute tend to go on for at least 5 minutes due to extended panning, lingering shots, and redundancy. Those shows can still be enjoyable, but let's get off of DBZ's case.

Quote:
Instead of treating Fairy Tail with the respect it deserves—with its fine-tuned balance of madcap silliness and brutal brawling, the swift drive of its shifting plot, and its free-ranging fights with their razor-executed excesses and soft emotional underbelly—Ishihara and his co-conspirators treat it as if it's just another lazy, by-the-numbers shonen rip-off.

I don't read the Fairy Tail manga, but I highly doubt that the characters come off much better in the manga than they do the anime. When I was reading the manga the characters seemed exactly like they would in the anime. Exaggerated expressions and personalities where people always yell aloud their desire for friendship and camaraderie. Typical shonen if you ask me, but I am pretty cynical. I watch shonen for 90% action and 10% story. Edolas didn't have interesting either of those to me.
Quote:
Botches the execution of the arc at every turn; final boss looks disconcertingly like a Pokémon.

If the plot is botched at every turn, why give the story a B? That doesn't match. Is there some context here that I am missing? Did the animation studio do something unpopular? Why so bipolar?
Araki

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:11 am Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
Sorry but One Piece is a shallow and trivial series without quality and overly kinetic.

Fairy Tail is for many reasons which appear to be beyond many people's usual experience or understanding of fantasy literature..very good indeed. It is much better than just about any other similar genre series. And it continues to get better.

And yes the Animax Dub is superb one of the best dubs into English I have seen. Just sorry that the A team of their VA did not carry on with episodes after 104. We can hope they may do the latest season.

Reviewers of any form of art, or literature are NOT guaranteed to understand or know what they are talking about just because they are chosen to publish their works. In this case and in the case of many of the posts i have seen on Fairy Tail, its special mix of Japanese culture, Japanese view of fantasy and anime in particular seems opaque to many western viewers and esp to many fans of anime. I am far more than a fan, i have been studying anime in a dedicated fashion in depth for many years now and am a professional artist in both western art and now work in anime and manga myself. But I shared my concerns and views because I am tired of seeing FT panned with such superficial and glib dismissal.

In time I believe true values will emerge, Fist of the North and One Piece will thankfully be forgotten on the trash heap of transition anime I am glad to say.

Are you a real person or just trolling? That can't be serious. Laughing
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:35 am Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
And as for the dubbing, the best dub by far is the Animax dub, each character VA is fantastic and evokes the characters in wonderful ways. Sadly the Class A VA team of Animax only dubbed Fairy Tail up thru ep 104, but this cycle is fully done by them and really great in every way. Especially well done are Natsu, Grey, Lucy, and Erza, and Happy....but all of the rest are very good too. It is worthwhile watching this set for it is by far and above much much better than the Funi version. The Japanese original is better but not accessible to all due to the language barrier.

I don't see your point.

well said. its either ignorant or dont have any IQ when it comes to English dubs.

the only dubs Animax have ever did OK was Hayate the Combat Butler. the rest of their dubs was insanely mediocre and their versions of fairy tail & CCS is the worst. Sure their not 4kids or Nelvana bad, but seriously. Animax Asia have a habit of producing mediocre dubs which is a real shame for our eastern counterparts who if have the chance to compare the animax dubs and funimation dubs of fairy tail and others like FMA, i bet ya they would choose the funi version ten times over.

Gasero wrote:

If the plot is botched at every turn, why give the story a B? That doesn't match. Is there some context here that I am missing? Did the animation studio do something unpopular? Why so bipolar?

well there are some good things and some flaws on the arc. luckily the good outweigh the bad which is why the story got a B.

if he had did it for the very mediocre daphne arc,i definitely would agree 100%. also some of the fillers like the first job wendy did without the help of natsu and the others was some good character development. and of course the filler festival and race was definitely funny,especially its ending. but what confuses me is that the ep with gildarts. he said it was filler but those that read the manga knows its not. sure some parts of the ep wasnt included in the manga but his return to the guild clearly wasnt.

Carl Kimlinger wrote:
Botches the execution of the arc at every turn; final boss looks disconcertingly like a Pokémon.

i wouldnt say that. sure some parts of the arc was a little weird but that is how the manga was and had to follow the cannon material to the letter. also the dorma anim (dragon knight ) armor is definitely no pokemon. to me it had it's part of the story cause it is the reason why edolas' magic was in short supply and the reason for the whole anima project in the first place.if it wasnt for the dorma anim, a lot of things wouldnt have taken place in the series.

Last edited by jr240483 on Wed May 28, 2014 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bolaum

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:

Yup, the anime that is always in the top 5 of most watched animes in Japan every week is totally going to be forgotten.

It's your opinion and you are entitled to it but let me ask you: have you ever watched the same One Piece I've been watching and reading? Because the one I'm reading has such a huge universe and the best part: it's consistent and really really interesting.
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
I am once again appalled at the trivial shallow and callous way some people review Fairy Tail, it appears to be a difficult series for some so called anime 'reviewers" to grasp and to appreciate.

Firstly this cycle of Edolas was superb, as were ALL of the episodes leading up to it and none of them can be remotely called "filler" as some people love to try to pan the essential relaxed and fun episodes that release pressure from many of the anime series. Each one is a jewel of its own quality and all of them in this cycle are superb.

The Edolas story is a difficult one for it takes the cast to an entirely new and alien world. As a portrayal OF an alien world this is superb work, it truly conveys the feeling of somewhere very different yet very believable and the other aspects of the mirroring of the main characters is lovely and very well done.

The art animation and character design of Fairy Tail continues to be first rate and among the best of any fantasy anime yet made. Each character has its own charm and is totally solid and well made. The character of each is revealed in the dialog, both the Japanese and the English dialog is very well matched and reflects the spirit of the series.

In the end, this cycle is superb and the entire series is getting better and better, and it now holds in my view the premier place of honour of fantasy anime far above One Piece or any other claimant. I am sure that Fairy Tail will hold its place among the all time classics like Inuyasha and Kenshin, and I am so glad we are now enjoying more new episodes of Fairy Tail tho the character design has morphed a bit, esp for Lucy they seem to be coming back on track with more balance with that aspect.

I am sorry that Fairy Tail continues to be a challenge for many to appreciate who write coverage and I will continue to pray that we can find reviewers who can understand the depth and the quality that this superb series offers us.

I agreed with everything you were saying....and then you lost me at Animax's dub. I don't know if you're just trolling, joking, or just delusional. I'm sorry, but Animax's Fairy Tail English dub is just god-awful.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:32 am Reply with quote
Second Fire Shadow wrote:
Yeah, I know what you mean. Naruto, One Piece and Bleach have been way more guilty of bloating their show than Dragon Ball Z ever was. Naruto is quite possibly the worst example of a bloated shonen anime or manga I've ever come across, it flat out abuses the concept of filler. The amount of filer acrs there have been in that show is countless and at one stage didn't Naruto have like 80 episodes of filler back to back?

Yes but you can easily skip them, with a show like dbz its padded so heavily without actually showing filler episodes

and imo thats worse.

Its like the current one piece anime of 1 chapter per episode, which has turned me off from watching the anime altogether.

With one piece you could have 300 episodes with 0 filler but its really only 150 episodes of actual content, with the other half being slow pans and other useless background stuff where generally nothing happens
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
BringBackUzume wrote:

I agreed with everything you were saying....and then you lost me at Animax's dub. I don't know if you're just trolling, joking, or just delusional. I'm sorry, but Animax's Fairy Tail English dub is just god-awful.

which have been their MO for many yes. very very atrocious dubs. sure not 4kids level but atrocious nevertheless.especially when it comes to this series.

so not to offend the reviewer the funi dub is kind of a blessing to my eyes and to everyone else that had to endure the animax asia dub. will funi's version be superior than the sub? that is up to those that watch it but its sure as hell better than the animax dub which would have been a option if another company other than funi had licensed the series in the name of cutting cost or worse, it would have suffered the same fate as Gintama and be released via sub only.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2