• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Full Moon O Sagashite

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
corinthian wrote:
In before the obligatory explanation of the column name.

I got a promo disc of this series at a convention when it was first coming out. If I recall correctly there was some DVD issues where the songs weren't subtitled on the English track, but that may have just been the result of the promo disc, since it was probably mass produced to go into every bag. It wasn't that great dub in my opinion, at least from the first few episodes. I later read the manga at my girlfriend's behest, and it got fairly dark at times. I don't know if they did this for the show, but spoiler[her love interest was dead, and she knew it but had suppressed that knowledge.]
Of course it's not merely the "results of the promo disc." This is Viz "We don't bother with Songs/Signs-Only subtitle tracks because they're 10 minutes of extra work" Anime we're talking here. Have fun watching Viz's Death Note DVDs in English and not seeing any of the written names translated unless you keep the full subs on. Re: the spoiler -- spoiler[ the status is the same, but she doesn't learn that fact until episode 42. And oh boy, what a doozy of an episode that was...]

Fun fact: even if Viz never does anything more with the show (and the disappearance of the official streams suggests that they won't), there's at least an improved fansub version in the works with better translations and A/V quality than the long-available DivX3 .avi TV-rips from 2002-2003.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
The songs are subtitled on the commercial release. I just checked the first disk. Opening song, closing song and audition song all had subtitles. She did sing in Japanese on the dub track though.
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Ah, the first anime that ever made me cry in public. Ep. 42, I will never forget how completely shattered you left my heart.

I've considered revisiting this series, but it does take needlessly long to begin the story. For those complaining about pacing, this is where the manga gets it so incredibly right. Tanemura's original story is pitch-perfect in its pacing and has a much more satisfying conclusion to boot. Not faint praise either, as I consider the final episode to be one of the most emotionally rewarding finales in all of anime. Glad to see

Glad to see you admired it for its effort, Justin. Even if the end result is a little messy, the things this series tries and more often what it pulls off is really astounding.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
The Full Moon dub was allegedly completed, according to Blue Water's website, which lists "52 episodes" for the project. It wouldn't be the only dub Viz payed for, but never fully released (hello MAR, Blue Dragon, Hikaru No Go, Zatch Bell). The voice acting was such a mixed bad, from what I've heard, but not dubbing the songs was strange. It's one thing to have theme songs played as opening/endings. It's another when a character sings and their voice and LANGUAGE changes. It's just awkward. At least with Slayers NEXT, CPM had Lina scream "in Japanese!" before she sings, so it still makes sense.
GVman

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I had the manga recommended to me a few years ago when I was on a magical girl kick. I guess I should finally check it out.
tobeast777

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Something I've actually seen! haha
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I actually didn't know that Takuto's voice actor passed away. I'm sad to hear that.

I liked the anime of Full Moon o Sagashite more than the manga, though it's far from perfect and the basic plot is depressing regardless of which version you choose.

Last edited by Morning Blue on Wed May 28, 2014 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I love this series so! It's so haunting, even in the anime version which balances the melancholy with cute scenarios and characters straight out of Creamy Mami. I love both iterations, though my favorite is the manga, the emotions in it are so awesomely raw! The way it stages psychological conflicts like the desire for survival VS the impulse for self-destruction is amazing, and many moments from the series have stuck with me over the years! Love it love it love it.

Fronzel wrote:
Cribbing from spoiler[Beetlejuice], maybe?

If I recall correctly Tanemura mentions in an author's note that that film was an inspiration!

(PS: Somebody pleeease license Tanemura's newer mangas! I miss reading her stuff so much!)
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Not faint praise either, as I consider the final episode to be one of the most emotionally rewarding finales in all of anime.

It absolutely is. It's such an emotional high like no other I've experienced from media. It's easy to make people cry with something sad. But I was crying hysterically during the ending because I was so happy.

I think that's a much harder thing to do!

I'm (unhealthily) obsessed with the series. It's been my number 1 ever since it came out. I know like......absolutely everything related to it, know the characters' birthdays, favorite foods, know all the words to all the songs, know stuff a good deal of other fans wouldn't know unless they bought the special Japanese releases and fan books. I have the manga in three formats: original raw tankoubon, Japanese scans on my pc, and the 10th anniversary special edition four-volume tankoubon collection. I cosplay as Mitsuki at least one day at every single con I go to. It's totally ridiculous. I don't want to think about the amount of cash I've blown on doujinshi and imported goods....it would make you cringe and scream "IS SHE CRAZY!?"
.......yeah, more than likely.
I first suspected I was crazy when I pulled (literally) an all-nighter to translate the drama CD released in 2005. spoiler[That establishes Takuto and Mitsuki are indeed together and happy.:] ]

When I learned Viz wasn't going to finish the dvds, I just bought the R2s on Yahoo Japan. My friend was able to make my DVD player region-free somehow. I dunno what he did...but I'm eternally grateful. lol

I can't choose between the manga and the anime. They're both beautiful; what one doesn't have, the other makes up for.

This past Valentine's, Arina Tanemura drew my ultimate OTP kissing and I cried tears of joy.

And this is my cell phone background (that I drew myself and yes, it's that Kannazuki No Miko parody lol)

While I'm probably coming off as a creepy, rabid fangirl right now who would refuse to admit there are flaws in my beloved series (no, okay, of course there are because it was made by human beings BUT THAT ENDING IS A GOOD ENDING, DAMMIT.) honestly, I just have some kind of crazy, wild passion for it that I can't fully explain.

It's just........really important to me. Really important...and I don't know why. I thought my 'Moonie' days were bad; no, that was perfectly normal......compared to this. I'm not one of those.......'weeabooish' fans who'll let every single stranger in public know about her obsession...but if I'm talking with another anime fan and the subject pops up, once I get going, man, I can really get going. Anime hyper Especially on why Takuto's so much more suitable for Mitsuki than Eichi....and a far superior character all around.
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.
..........shut up, Chiibi. >_>
Quark

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:08 am Reply with quote
Not going to lie, but I'm having trouble sticking with the anime. My main complaint is that I don't especially like Mitsuki's songs (but apparently everyone else does) but the show makes a point of playing it every episode, sometimes more, and having everyone stop what they're doing to talk about how awesome her songs are. I'm not too wild about the art in the show either.
I really like the premise of the series however. The consensus seems to be that the manga has better pacing, is less little kiddish, and the art looks nicer. Full Moon sounds like a good choice for my next manga purchase.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

This past Valentine's, Arina Tanemura drew my ultimate OTP kissing and I cried tears of joy.

Takuto; you are going to jail.Twisted Evil

But seriously, I think the "grown-man-totally-wants-little-girl" thing the article mentioned is just a little girl's fantasy of cool older guys; giving the audience what they want without letting reality intrude.

Quark wrote:
Not going to lie, but I'm having trouble sticking with the anime. My main complaint is that I don't especially like Mitsuki's songs (but apparently everyone else does) but the show makes a point of playing it every episode, sometimes more, and having everyone stop what they're doing to talk about how awesome her songs are. I'm not too wild about the art in the show either.
I really like the premise of the series however. The consensus seems to be that the manga has better pacing, is less little kiddish, and the art looks nicer. Full Moon sounds like a good choice for my next manga purchase.

The whole magical transforming idol singer thing is actually surprisingly incidental to the manga's story. The typical idol schtick about making people happy only really happens in the anime.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:45 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Takuto; you are going to jail.Twisted Evil

This is Japan. Not America. Anime hyper

Quote:
But seriously, I think the "grown-man-totally-wants-little-girl" thing the article mentioned is just a little girl's fantasy of cool older guys; giving the audience what they want without letting reality intrude.

It is. Certainly not the first shoujo series to have done so. In Sailormoon's manga, Mamoru is in high school. But the anime put him in college, and still making out with 14-year-old Usagi. For like...no reason. Anime hyper

In Full Moon's case though, the story would not have worked if the characters ages were the same. I thought about it really hard. And Takuto did spend a lot of time with Mitsuki in her older form. He's not exactly the picture of 'mature adult man' himself, LOL...sometimes he acts like a little boy and SHE has to be the adult. Anime hyper

Quark wrote:
Not going to lie, but I'm having trouble sticking with the anime. My main complaint is that I don't especially like Mitsuki's songs (but apparently everyone else does) but the show makes a point of playing it every episode, sometimes more, and having everyone stop what they're doing to talk about how awesome her songs are.

Yeah, they do play them a little too much. They're beautiful...but sometimes I have to skip them when I listen to my music collection. Eternal Snow is probably the only exception.
MrBear16

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I have started to get used to the pile of shame being written by somebody with no taste. I would like to see some of the popular garbage (Naruto, One Piece, FLCL) on here.
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mitsuki never loses hair from chemotherapy, never becomes disturbingly gaunt or violently ill.
I can agree with you about this, but only to a point. While these side effects are common, they're not universal. As someone who has endured the rigors of Chemotherapy and watched his dad go through it too (albeit for different types of cancer) I can tell you from experience that everybody has different reactions to treatments based on various factors. For example, while I lost enough hair to be noticeable, I never lost enough to require shaving my head. While the appearance of the main character may not have shown as a 100% accurate representation of the disease, it's understandable when you consider how scary cancer is (and this show was geared toward young girls, and let's face it, how many kids could deal with the image of what a terminal illness looks like). Besides, if you want to see what a terminally ill person really looks like, there are other media to look at besides a kids' show.
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:28 am Reply with quote
Mitsuki doesn't lose her hair because she's refusing chemotherapy. Razz The constant battle with adults trying to get her to receive potentially life-extending treatment is a major theme in the manga and anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3