• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunday Without God, Maid Sama!, Outbreak Company Will Get English Dubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess I'm glad I haven't picked up Maid Sama! yet. :p Hopefully the dub will be better than some of Sentai's other dubs.

Sadly, it's not the news I'd like to hear from Sentai, but it's good for now.
Lynxikat

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Are these shows more popular than I thought they were? They seem like weird choices for dubs.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Think we're going to get a second season, about the country's new manga industry?

As much as I'd love that, I doubt it'll happen, as the series tanked in sales in Japan, and I doubt it's something that we Americans can get involved with, since it's not even a mainstream megahit here like The Big O was.

What we can do, however, is hope for a western release of the original light novels. Yeah, it's a Kodansha title, but Vertical does do releases of Kodansha LN, as evidenced by their releases of the Attack on Titan prequel LNs, so we can ask them to localize Outbreak Company's LNs. They have the sites (Facebook, Tumblr, and Twitter), so we just have to ask.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
heavyweather

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Finally, after all this time, Maid-Sama will finally be available in English (again). I'm just hoping that whoever will be directing the English version of that show isn't named "You-Know-Who."

Oh, you mean Mr. "He whos last name is suspiciously close to a popular brand of Australian beer"? He's done fairly good dubs in the past, I think that Sentai has been churning them out at a disturbingly fast rate, so thus the quality has dipped significantly. Hopefully whoever ends up directing will have the time and money needed to put together an English language track that lives up the the shows.

Aura Ichadora wrote:
Sadly, it's not the news I'd like to hear from Sentai, but it's good for now.

My thoughts exactly. I was hoping for news about Blu-Rays for Non Non Biyori, The Big O, and the Patlabor movies. Hopefully we'll hear about those later.
But this is good news in general. I am very happy to see Sentai able to go back and re-release improved versions of their stuff .
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm super-happy that I'll get to own Kaminai on DVD!!

Quote:
Where did you hear about the ending? Not saying you're wrong, because I have no idea, but I can't seem to find it anywhere, and now I'm really curious... Especially since the novels aren't translated where I can read them...

After some frantic searching, according to Amazon reviews, what quiwzart said seems to be true. o_o But remember that spoiler[in Kaminai's world, the dead continue living...so...even if Alis and Ai are dead...I guess they're still.....functioning or something...Anime hyper; I dunno.]

The reviews are saying it's a good ending.
Student no.0

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Lynxikat wrote:
Are these shows more popular than I thought they were? They seem like weird choices for dubs.

If there's any Sentai show that deserves a dub the most, it'd definitely be Humanity Has Declined IMO. I just hope the discs sold well enough for it to be considered. Then again, you never know.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I'm super-happy that I'll get to own Kaminai on DVD!!

Quote:
Where did you hear about the ending? Not saying you're wrong, because I have no idea, but I can't seem to find it anywhere, and now I'm really curious... Especially since the novels aren't translated where I can read them...

After some frantic searching, according to Amazon reviews, what quiwzart said seems to be true. o_o But remember that spoiler[in Kaminai's world, the dead continue living...so...even if Alis and Ai are dead...I guess they're still.....functioning or something...Anime hyper; I dunno.]

The reviews are saying it's a good ending.

That's where I checked as well but google translate kind of failed xD As long as its a good ending, I'm okay with it. Although this kind of series pretty much has to have a bittersweet ending. Hope I can get the full details someday!
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
heavyweather wrote:
...I think that Sentai has been churning them out at a disturbingly fast rate, so thus the quality has dipped significantly.

Ah...Right, if I correctly recall, someone mentioned in some other thread ages earlier that they spend, on average, only 4 hours on recording...
Yep, I think that may explain the slip-ups that I've noticed within some of Sentai's shows.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
So Maid-sama finely getting a dubbed but didn't thing Sunday without God would of gotten a dub
Touma

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Now I need to decide if I want to buy Maid Sama! again.
I did buy Tears to Tiara and Kashimashi for a second time when they got dubs. I like Maid Sama! better than Kashimashi so I probably will get it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
IanRootBeerDubber wrote:
thekingsdinner wrote:
This announcement made my day. I've always wanted a dub for Maid-sama! ever since I watched it 4 years ago. Can't wait for it!

Also nice that Outbreak Company gets a dub, been meaning to watch it and this is a good opportunity.
I don't care about Sunday Without God though.

Have you seen the Animax dub?
No, I haven't I wasn't even aware of it for a long time, but I really don't like Animax dubs so I kind of just ignored it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Meygaera

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, it looks like another case of "shut up and take my money"
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Maid Sama finally getting its dubbing. Normally it doesn't take them as long after I give-up and grab the DVDs for cheap though. They must be backlogged (or someone forgot to hit refresh for a while.)

No mention of which format this will come out on though, so trying not to be too pessimistic.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
The only weird thing about Maid Sama! getting a dub was how long it took, it really should have been done before SA and Outbreak Company is getting released with a dub so that's just basic.

Sunday Without God though? That is different; I loved the show and certain plot points still echo in my mind {the ... first one and that last one makes a beautiful book end}, the visuals are fantastic and I want it on BD now that it will be dubbed {Humanity Has Declined...} but it's a strange show and not even like penguindrum or tsuritama. Those are stories while Sunday Without God is more of an ... allegory? It's like an emotion with character names {main character's named ai/"love", another's Scar so completely intentional}.

Nothing can be done, it's just something to experience.

And Tomoko Market's getting a BD release. Better but I wonder what will come out first, Chuuibyo or that one.

So if a show gets a subbed DVD release, it can get dubbed {Stony Cat, SNAFU, come on and work with me here, Sentai...} but what about shows that now get subbed BD releases? I'm sure Retailers just love having to wade through all this excess overstock {note: dripping with sarcasm} done by a company who can't tell what's worthwhile {hint: it's not bread. Wait, If it's bread that bleeds, its good}.

And High School of the Dead will get rereleased in a box set, most likely with the OVA. So? It's a one season show with a twenty minute OVA, already dubbed, already on BD; Beyond the breasts and zombies, there's nothing there. A K-On! box set I could see that, first BD collection, hype it up!

Do these guys need a "how to sell anime" pamphlet?
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
This announcement made my day. I've always wanted a dub for Maid-sama! ever since I watched it 4 years ago. Can't wait for it!

Also nice that Outbreak Company gets a dub, been meaning to watch it and this is a good opportunity.
I don't care about Sunday Without God though.

I'm all for a Maid-sama! dub. Don's really know the other series well enough to care one way or the other yet, but for a series to be exposed to a broader audience is almost always a good thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4