• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Powered Up Figure of Hunter x Hunter's Gon Has Almost 1 Ft of Hair

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
Yeah I'd say that's quite the spoiler.

Might as well make a figure of someone dead honestly, and make it an announcement right after the latest episode.

It's that big.
While i think the figure is cool the least other sites could do is make the image and the opening text different.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I understand your concerns, but I don't think it's really a spoiler, because without context, it's just a beefed up Gon. Especially since nothing in the text mentioned why he's in that form, or what it means for the character. If anything, it piques interest in why/how/when he takes on that form.

It's like posting a picture of the long-haired titan, but not mentioning his origins.

However, I will take your concerns to mind, and create a smaller thumbnail that people can click on to reveal the larger image. I apologize for anyone who was upset by this spoiler. I will keep this in mind for future articles of a similar nature.

FWIW, I left the image the way that P-Bandai had it because I think part of the fun is that reveal via the long mouse scroll.
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

However, I will take your concerns to mind, and create a smaller thumbnail that people can click on to reveal the larger image. I apologize for anyone who was upset by this spoiler. I will keep this in mind for future articles of a similar nature.

FWIW, I left the image the way that P-Bandai had it because I think part of the fun is that reveal via the long mouse scroll.

Thank you very much and i know how ridiculous it may sound to some people but for me and my friends this episode was very impactful because of this sudden reveal. My main concern is this is completely fresh and will most likely ruin that reveal for people that haven't watched the latest episode yet despite following the series every week.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I am torn about whether this qualifies as a spoiler. True, this is a stunning development in a story arc denouement chock-full of these, but I see nothing here explaining WHY Gon underwent this, or spoiler[the price he pays for it, and the direction in which this sends the series later]. As long as those remain hidden or vaguely referred, I cannot begrudge these people wanting to make a buck out of their own series.

SSJ Goku was a spoiler back in its time, right?
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:04 am Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
I cannot begrudge these people wanting to make a buck out of their own series.

While i can't say anything to sites that sell these figures do you think it's right to force a spoiler on people that regularly use other sites?

Anton Chigurh wrote:
SSJ Goku was a spoiler back in its time, right?
Yes but it's not really relevant to this.
It's more like spoiler[Bleach's final Getsuga Tenshō.]
Panoptican

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:47 am Reply with quote
I think it's best to err on the side of caution with these things, so I'm happy to see ANN made some changes. No it doesn't give the context for why he looks that way, but anyone relatively current with the anime who hasn't seen the latest episode would be spoiled I think. It's a pretty huge twist/moment in an episode that only just aired yesterday. And if you watch it for free on CR you don't get to see it til next week I think?

Thankfully I watched the episode as early as I could. If I had not yet watched this week and saw this I would have been disappointed. It would have lessened the impact of the scene.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:56 am Reply with quote
Same thing happens with every new op of fairy tail. People cry spoiler but without context it means absolutely nothing.
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
Same thing happens with every new op of fairy tail. People cry spoiler but without context it means absolutely nothing.
That goes for you, remember everyone has a different opinion.

Panoptican wrote:

Thankfully I watched the episode as early as I could. If I had not yet watched this week and saw this I would have been disappointed. It would have lessened the impact of the scene.

I just barely made it myself since i was marathoning through Gundam universal century. Almost 150 episodes in seven days. Laughing
Ulinox

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:15 am Reply with quote
What's this Dragonball ripoff?
navycherub

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:16 am Reply with quote
I'm glad ANN cares enough to read the thread and make changes. Cheers.

Ulinox wrote:
What's this Dragonball ripoff?

If you read (or watch) Hunter x Hunter, the arc this takes place in is basically a huge, dark tribute to Dragonball.
Deoxy360

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:48 am Reply with quote
I didn't expect a figure of this to announced so quickly? Although it is awesome and maybe I'll consider adding it to my collection (depending on the price). Although all that hair.... I don't know it would fit on any of my shelves.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
StormVanguard wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:
That goes for you, remember everyone has a different opinion.

For me, all this spoiler does is make me want to watch the show and see why he is looking like that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2