• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Erica Mendez, Carrie Keranen Star in Kill la Kill's English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Nice to see them recycling the same voice actors.

Uh, Carrie Keranen, as far as I know, has only been in two anime that are worth mentioning. Madoka Magica and Berserk.
BERSERK.
spoiler[She was Casca BTW]

Mendez is flat-out new.

Carrie Keranen was also Maiya Hisau in Fate/Zero, but that's pretty much it as far as notable roles go. Erica Mendez's only other notable role prior to this was Aladdin in Magi. So, yeah, any accusations of recycling fall completely flat. (Besides, the Japanese are far more guilty of voice recycling; most of us can't tell at all on account of lack of fluency, but that's neither here nor there.)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Also I remember seeing a few misc clips... Does nobody in this show have nipples? Because I swear to God they would have been visible in some shots.

Only the dudes, and they often radiate with purple power. But yeah, I don't think the women have any, you know, despite being literally fully naked and facing the camera with nothing blocking or obscuring the shot. They're like manic fighting barbie dolls.

For the release, going back to singles is a bitch move. You don't have the change the per-episode price, but just having so many individual pieces of a set is a hassle no one wants anymore.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Wed May 28, 2014 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
$50 for four episodes??? What is this, Japan?!
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times...

Who are all of you people?

It might be a consequence of my years out of the loop, but I'm not familiar with most of the English cast and most have relatively short lists of credits. I'm not really sure what to expect, but I'm a little pessimistic because the Japanese cast genuinely impressed me, so even if they're very good, the English cast has an uphill battle to fight.

The pricing scheme feels like a throwback in a way I'm not strictly pleased by. Nevertheless, I liked Kill la Kill enough that I'll probably collect it.

The limited edition doesn't, however, look worth the price. Unless there's something extraordinary about the packaging that I haven't noticed, the special tchotchkes don't strike me as much of an inducement, aside from the soundtrack. That's perhaps my real complaint against Aniplex: They charge what amounts to a premium price in this market, but not for things that I particularly want. I like good, sturdy artboxes, but I wish they would offer booklets or similar content about the production and development of the shows.

The standard Blu-ray editions aren't strictly a bargain, but for me, they'll do. It will, however, be a little inconvenient to have pile of individual discs rattling around. I think that Bandai used to do this too with silly things like the special editions of Scrapped Princess that came in oversized boxes with figures. Maybe it's a more Japanese approach to special editions or something.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Wed May 28, 2014 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I do not know most of the English dub cast, but I hope they do a good job. I will go with the standard BD volumes. 5 volumes for $200 is about what I am willing to spend in this anime.

I am cool with Aniplex USA's pricing in general but the price of these standard editions is a bit high. Each SE BD volume at $30 and each SE DVD volume at $20 would have been a fair price.

Lynx Amali wrote:
Meh.Add to the fact that the price point (even the episode count doesn't add up to the total number of episodes, 5 x 4 = 20) and the general unawareness of their own show (they didn't know about the OVA)

You are blaming AoA for what seems to be a typo? Great.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I want this but i'll have to wait until they drop a complete series. No one buys singles here anymore. They could have at least done the 3 Part series like Gurren/Code Geass. $30 for four episodes? I paid $35 for GL special edition, got a backpack and two discs. This is terrible. I guess they haven't paid any attention to the buying trends here. This is not what is best for business.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm still forking over cash to Aniplex USA for Monogatari and Madoka alone. So glad Kill la Kill was a letdown for me.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, first of all, I have to question anyone who spends more than seventy dollars on four episodes and some post cards. It has the resale value of a four week old ham sandwich. I'm surprised they didn't shove in a pencil board, but I guess they're waiting for the second volume.

Post cards. What do they say on them? "Wish you were this gullible!"?

Even the standard editions are an insult. I'll probably get them eventually, but I'm hoping they'll drop. This isn't some grand masterpiece, it's Kill la Kill. It's a fun show, but not forty, fifty dollars for four episodes fun.

Aniplex knows that they're selling cartoons and not medication, right?

Last edited by penguintruth on Wed May 28, 2014 10:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

You are blaming AoA for what seems to be a typo? Great.

No? More like I'm assuming if there is indeed fives sets of releases, at four episodes, if the official site is anything to by, they would want to continue that trend. So either they are going to be more than five sets at four episodes, or they're going to have a few odd discs.

Unless you're referring to the OVA thing: Somebody asked about it in the stream.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Wed May 28, 2014 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times...

Who are all of you people?

I think it's safe to say we're in an age where most of the English VAs nowadays are in the Millennial age where some are anime fans that grew up in the early Toonami era (which feels surreal for me considering some are around my age Shocked).

Or if any of you are pretty hardcore in video games, some of them did Skullgirls, BlazBlue, and/or League of Legends.

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Wed May 28, 2014 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
This is probably a result of the hype of the show and how close they're coming out to the Japanese BDs, but it's almost like they're testing to see how close to the Japanese release model (singles) they can get.

Wonder how many volumes they'll spread Sword Art Online 2 and Fate/stay night over...
heavyweather

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Honestly? I'm glad that Aniplex is going with the Madoka Magica "Pricy, but you can actually afford the blu-rays" model, rather than the SAO "I openly mock your need to eat" model.

I know it's expensive, but Kill La Kill is worth owning, even at that price. (IMO)
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Well that cool but there stuff is still so much
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Well, first of all, I have to question anyone who spends more than seventy dollars on four episodes and some post cards. It has the resale value of a four week old ham sandwich. I'm surprised they didn't shove in a pencil board, but I guess they're waiting for the second volume.

Post cards. What do they say on them? "Wish you were this gullible!"?

Even the standard editions are an insult. I'll probably get them eventually, but I'm hoping they'll drop. This isn't some grand masterpiece, it's Kill la Kill. It's a fun show, but not forty, fifty dollars for four episodes fun.

Aniplex knows that they're selling cartoons and not medication, right?

The $70 for 4 episodes is outrageous but Japan tends to sell the same price for 2-episode discs. The standard DVD is the most decent price if it were a 6-12 episode disc but Aniplex offering a standard DVD of 4 episodes for that price is an outdated practice here.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex overpricing as usual. Made better with bad dubbing of an overrated show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10