• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Erica Mendez, Carrie Keranen Star in Kill la Kill's English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Found the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLhE2EhuoZ8&list=UUDb0peSmF5rLX7BvuTcJfCw

and...yeah...Iffy is kind of right. I was really hoping this dub would be something entertaining to listen to but...yeah I don't think this is worth it, I didn't like the show enough for that. Welp, guess I better look up those production video commentaries for the series...
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

You are blaming AoA for what seems to be a typo? Great.

No? More like I'm assuming if there is indeed fives sets of releases, at four episodes, if the official site is anything to by, they would want to continue that trend. So either they are going to be more than five sets at four episodes, or they're going to have a few odd discs.

Unless you're referring to the OVA thing: Somebody asked about it in the stream.

I am assuming volumes 2-5 will have 5 episodes each. The OVA might be sold in a separate release, which is a shitty thing to do.
iCards

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:57 pm Reply with quote
At least they aren't forcing the WAY overpriced Limited Edition Blu-Ray onto you. They are giveing us options. Since they got it over here in less than 5 months I can probably stand the 39.98 for the standard blu-ray.

Options Aniplex Options.

Also, the Dub from the trailer is Okay. They, dubbing studios, are trying to get newer voices into the MC pool lately, as well as, newer voices into the business period. They can't relay on Bosch, Lownthal, and others who have been in the MC pool since like 2005 forever.

Last edited by iCards on Wed May 28, 2014 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I was actually about to say that the price wasnt too bad, then I realized it was for 4 episode. Dammit, I got excited. I like the show enough, so I may consider it the LEs, maybe I'll just buy one and the rest will be standard.

From what I've heard of the dub trailer, sounds good so far! I already got tickets for the dub premiere. Dont recognize some of these actors, if they're getting newer ones, awesome!
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Dub trailer utterly shocked me as the one character I felt was not going to be done right at all was not terrible: Ryuko.

Everyone else: bleh.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex put the official English dub trailer on youtube guys if you're interested!

Like I said on the video already those voices fit wonderfully actually, but the acting (particularly Ryuuko's) isn't too moving in the trailer, but I'll save my judgement for when it's released. I love how Mendez's voice fits her though! Keranen's isn't strong enough for her character, but it's almost there. I bet she'd get there in time. And Seitz was so obvious to be Gamagoori I wasn't even surprised Anime hyper

I won't be buying this series though especially in this format. I'm not a huge fan of KLK in the first place so releasing it in 5 sets was a definite no for me. They should have at least gave a boxset option then maybe I'd think about it Confused

Last edited by KENZICHI on Wed May 28, 2014 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dfens

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
From the info they released the first part is 4 episodes and each following release would be 5 episodes for volumes 2-5. So that means the LE will come in at $300.00 dollars, Standard Blu-Ray at $200.00, and the DVD at $150.00 dollars.

We all knew it was going to be something in this price range if you compare it to their other releases. And at least compared to Sword Art Online it's 60 bucks cheaper and you get the DVD copies if you purchase the Limited Edition.

I could care less about the dubs but liked the series enough that I will buy the Limited Edition release.

Of course their had to be people bitching about the price and insulting those who are willing and more importantly able to afford it. You don't like the price don't buy any of the 3 tiers they are releasing. Or save up until you can, or get a better paying job. I'm not rich by any means but I make more than enough money that this purchase won't even dent my savings since I put in so many hours a week at work and for the last 6 months more overtime than I really want to work for the good of the company.

People always act like they could never in their life time put away enough money to purchase one of their titles. Do you need it right away day of release?

Seriously be happy that you can even legally own a copy.
RealJpoe

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
$50 for four episodes??? What is this, Japan?!

Nope, then it would be $80 for two episode, subs only. This idea that Aniplex is doing straight import prices needs to stop. Prices are still better here than in Japan. Also if people weren't buying these expensive sets then I'm sure they would of stopped making them by now.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
From what I've heard of the dub trailer, sounds good so far!

I second this. I do not know what else people want. The English voices sound to me like good fits for the characters.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:

Nononon sounds right to me and I think that Satsuki's pretty good too, but Ryuko doesn't have enough... errr... throat. I'm withholding judgement on Mako.

I think it might be too subdued and normal-sounding. This show thrives on being bonkers and exaggerated; some of those performances sounded like they'd be good enough in ordinary contexts, but off-point for Kill la Kill.

darkchibi07 wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times...

Who are all of you people?

I think it's safe to say we're in an age where most of the English VAs nowadays are in the Millennial age where some are anime fans that grew up in the early Toonami era (which feels surreal for me considering some are around my age Shocked).

Or if any of you are pretty hardcore in video games, some of them did Skullgirls, BlazBlue, and/or League of Legends.

Yes, but they don't know the classics. (at 13:39, but it's all good)

Kougeru wrote:
Aniplex overpricing as usual. Made better with bad dubbing of an overrated show.

*achem*

Am I reading this right? Yes.

Cool story bro.

*coughs*

It's presumption at this point to be damning the English production so thoroughly. And unless there's some universally accepted golden standard for how much we're allowed to like something, the fact that I and others thought it was damned cool doesn't mean that it's overrated, it means that you're too insecure and arrogant to deal with people not agreeing with you.

A good rule of thumb is that if you find yourself about to say, "overrated," stop right there and spare the rest of us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
Complaining about people saying it's too expensive

If people don't like the price they can say so man. And when I can buy a limited edition complete series of PsychoPass on bluray for under $100, then I think there is a perfectly good reason for people to be upset, especially if they were a big fan of the show and would have liked similar treatment.

On another note, that limited edition doesn't seem very premium, which is a shame because I always like the extra goodies. NISA always has entire series with a nice hardcover book of various contents and a display box for a pretty regular price, and yet Ani is just throwing in a soundtrack and some post cards and marking it up an extra hundred. If they're going with that price they should at least make it worth it. Does anybody ever do anything with the postcards more than "oh, those are neat," and then putting them away?
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I, too, am confused by all the hate for the dub trailer. It sounds fine to me. Am I missing something? Laughing
stove top stuffing

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I was never going to listen to the dub, but it's good for the people that want it.

I am especially disappointed with the English voices for Ryuko, Mako, Satsuki, and Nonon.

I'll be getting the limited edition sets. Screw the price. I want it.

*edit for clarification.

Last edited by stove top stuffing on Wed May 28, 2014 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
angieness

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I was fully prepared for the price, but don't like that it's split into 5 volumes like it's 1998. I'll still buy it though.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Welp, the only way I'm ever gonna watch the English dub is if it's on Toonami, because Aniplex can take those prices and shove them up its ass.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10