• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Erica Mendez, Carrie Keranen Star in Kill la Kill's English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Christine Marie Cabanos: I salute your giant, giant metaphorical balls. I'll need a fifth of vodka handy whenever I come around to listening to her performance.

I would've been in line to pre-order the series, except for one thing: I saw it.
normajean19

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Jeez AoA putting everything out on July 15? Good thing the only release I'm really interested in is this one though.

I understand why they can't release the info on the other four volumes yet because it is so close to the Japanese release, but it would've been nice to know. I would hate to buy the first LE and then have the rest of them be even more underwhelming than the first one.

As for the dub trailer, it wasn't bad... it just felt like the only character that really felt right was Gamagoori.

Last edited by normajean19 on Wed May 28, 2014 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I do not know what else people want. The English voices sound to me like good fits for the characters.

Surrender Artist wrote:
It's presumption at this point to be damning the English production so thoroughly. And unless there's some universally accepted golden standard for how much we're allowed to like something, the fact that I and others thought it was damned cool doesn't mean that it's overrated, it means that you're too insecure and arrogant to deal with people not agreeing with you.

Forgive the pithy remark, but haters are ALWAYS gonna hate. Quite frankly, a lot of the bile being spewed here just comes off as complaining for the sake of complaining. Seriously, it does seem as if anime fandom in general can never be completely happy about ANYTHING.

stove top stuffing wrote:
I was never going to listen to the dub, but it's good for the people that want it.

I am especially disappointed with the English voices for Ryuko, Mako, Satsuki, and Nonon.

If you said you're not going to listen to the English dub, then why bother remarking on how the English voices supposedly disappointed you?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Carrie Keranen was also Maiya Hisau in Fate/Zero, but that's pretty much it as far as notable roles go. Erica Mendez's only other notable role prior to this was Aladdin in Magi. So, yeah, any accusations of recycling fall completely flat. (Besides, the Japanese are far more guilty of voice recycling; most of us can't tell at all on account of lack of fluency, but that's neither here nor there.)

This is something I wish I would see more complaining about to counter the standard complaints of a company reusing the same Eng. dub VA.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
To the people who always respond to the complaints with, "Why can't you just save up? You can afford it then!", well, obviously I could...but I won't. And you know why? Because for that same price, I can get two or three brand-new releases from other companies, or several thinpacks, and you can double those numbers during a RightStuf sale. (Note the damning fact that AoA titles essentially never go on sale, at least not to any appreciable degree.) Why in the world would I ever spend $200+ to purchase one single series I like, when I could purchase several other series I like at the same price point? And that's to say nothing of other discretionary purchases like games. Every unnecessary extra dollar I spend on one item is one that I won't be able to spread among all the other things I want to buy; no single item is worth breaking the bank completely.

And I know I can't control other people's buying habits, but saying "I hate those prices...but I'll buy it anyway" isn't helping matters. If almost everyone agrees that AoA's pricing model is terrible, then why not actively boycott them? If people stop bending over and taking it, then maybe AoA will finally get the hint that, oh hey, the US home media market doesn't work like this, and then everyone can be happy.

Honestly at this point I'm sorely tempted to burn my fansubs to DVD, and then send a picture of myself holding it to AoA. They don't want my money? Fair enough, I'm sticking with what I have.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
Sounds awesome. Three purchase tiers is the way to go. The high end prices don't bother me. I've payed more ($400-700 USD for a two cour) I wasn't too impressed by Kill la Kill it had just too many ups and downs for me. Happy for the fans though. Best release your money can buy right here.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:23 am Reply with quote
After watching the trailer, I mostly think it's good. Not great, but good.

I don't like Satsuki, as it lacks waaaaaaaaaaaay too much power. Senketsu wasn't that good either. He should've been voiced by Crispin Freeman. Satsuki should've been Tara Platt, that would've been perfect. Literally everyone else wanted Tara Platt too.

The ones that stood out to me were Mako, Gamagoori, and Nonon.

*crosses fingers for Cristina Vee as Nui*

Last edited by ThatGuyWhoLikesThings on Thu May 29, 2014 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:23 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

And I know I can't control other people's buying habits, but saying "I hate those prices...but I'll buy it anyway" isn't helping matters. If almost everyone agrees that AoA's pricing model is terrible, then why not actively boycott them?
Because there aren't really any other options if you want to own the show. I don't like the price, but I will begrudgingly pay it if it is a product I really want like Kill la Kill.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

And I know I can't control other people's buying habits, but saying "I hate those prices...but I'll buy it anyway" isn't helping matters. If almost everyone agrees that AoA's pricing model is terrible, then why not actively boycott them?
Because there aren't really any other options if you want to own the show. I don't like the price, but I will begrudgingly pay it if it is a product I really want like Kill la Kill.

Well then don't own the show...that's the whole point of a boycott, isn't it? I really really loved it myself, but there's no way in hell I'm stooping to shelling out that much for it. The trouble is that my refusal to do so means nothing so long as so many other people are willing to hold their noses and pay up. If a bunch of people finally say, "Enough is enough, screw you!", then maybe AoA's hand can finally be forced.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
I'm too much of an obsessive collector to do deprive myself of the show just to make a point. Good for you though if you have the willpower to boycott.
angieness

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:51 am Reply with quote
Because people not buying anime releases has worked out well for companies in the past?

Geneon
ADV
Bandai
Bandai Visual
Central Park Media
Tokyopop

I'm pretty sure if people actually legitimately boycotted AoA enough to where it hurt them, they would just take their toys and go home like Bandai Visual did. Meaning all their properties would go out of print. Meaning those high Aniplex prices would be doubled or tripled on Amazon and Ebay. And it's unlikely their stuff would be instantly rescued by Funimation.

If you don't like the company that's totally fine, but let people spend their money how they want. I don't like Aniplex's prices either, but I still buy the releases from them that I'm interested in as I'm interested in supporting the industry and the creators behind the shows I like.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:53 am Reply with quote
angieness wrote:

If you don't like the company that's totally fine, but let people spend their money how they want. I don't like Aniplex's prices either, but I still buy the releases from them that I'm interested in as I'm interested in supporting the industry and the creators behind the shows I like.

^THIS. If you liked a series and can afford to do so, why the hell WOULDN'T you support the industry.
Dfens

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:59 am Reply with quote
Boycott do you hear yourself?

I've been in the same room with some of the guys from Aniplex of Japan and few guys from Aniplex of America. I can tell you this even if the American team has issues with the price they certainly won't voice them why because Aniplex of Japan doesn't give a flying F*** and they hold all the cards and run AOA.

Guess what even if everyone outside of Japan stopped buying Aniplex titles then they would just shut down Aniplex of America and lock up all their current and future properties and keep them in country/within Japan.

So boycotting, bitching, and all the internet crusading rage will not change their minds on the matter.

My Japanese friend who I had the pleasure of working with deals with various companies in Japan, some in the Anime and Manga industry. And I've learned that if they don't get their way and more importantly their price they won't sell it to anyone period. When they own it they can let it rot for all they care because they can.

Saying that well if Funimation can sell a show premium for under 100 dollars why can't Aniplex is just plain ridiculous. It's not like Aniplex stole the opportunity for another company to release the show at a cheaper price, they owned it outright from the start it's their property they made it.

It's like saying if you made some amazing new product and instead of licensing it to a third party to sell for half the price, you release it directly yourself for double the going rate and people bitching it's too much. It's a business why shouldn't they set whatever price they want either pay it or move on to another competitor they don't need your money if you don't like their price.

Why don't I boycott Rolex or some other luxury Swiss Watch company because their prices are too much for just something that tells time. I don't even want a Rolex but do you think they will lower prices because some people are upset at how much one costs, hell no.
qwizart

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:13 am Reply with quote
The price.... Shocked
I think it's one of those times that I'm glad to live in Europe. Anime Limited will release their Kill la Kill edition at the end of the year, crossing fingers it won't be too much expensive but I will be able to get the money, I think, and hope the dub will be included. Very Happy
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:15 am Reply with quote
Let's say Aniplex packs up their toys and goes home because we stop buying their expensive releases.

Oh well.

Yeah, it would sting a bit to never see their shows come over here, but hey, maybe, just maybe they'll get the message that we're not going to put up with their insulting price gouging. They can hustle some other country.

I'll just stop watching anime they're involved in altogether. It's no skin off my nose. There are plenty of other anime companies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10