• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top 10 Anime and Manga at Japan Media Arts Festival

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larinon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
larinon wrote:
Also, the links seem to go to "top 50" lists, but of course they are in Japanese. It'd be really great if someone would translate the rest of the list... Wink

I'll bite and do the anime one.

Thanks a lot! And those who helped you out as well. Smile

I was surprised, as some others stated, that Spirited Away was not in the top 10, but 14 is reasonable. I'm glad to see Haruhi in there as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:34 pm Reply with quote
but there is a catch here people!!

the lists are made by "Japanese fans" ofcourse tastes change in other countries, so this list can hardly be taken as official.

Slam dunk is awesome, funny and it has a lot of action (to be a sports manga/anime) but both the anime and the manga failed to attract an audience big enough to support it, being on the number one of the list, I can say this list doesnt apply to us.

So there, japanese fans, I disagree with your little "best of" list.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the lists are made by "Japanese fans" ofcourse tastes change in other countries, so this list can hardly be taken as official.

There's also the fact that the majority of the people who voted in this poll are probably 'anime fans' and not just the general public, which is inevitably going to skewer things away from what it would be if you just asked the Japanese population as a whole. There are series that are absolute phenoms among the general public, but aren't that huge among 'anime fans.' Stuff like Detective Conan would fall here.

I'm not sure what to think of the fact that outside the Miyazaki works (that includes Cagliostro) and Mushishi, I rather strongly dislike everything on the anime list. I will never understand the appeal of Eva. Ever.

Last edited by kazenoyume on Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Um, that's not a catch. Of course it doesn't "apply" to other countries. The poll was taken in Japan and is for... Japan. No catch there. And its no less official because of that. And no one ever said this was for "us", whoever "us" may be.
MarthaC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:43 pm Reply with quote
[quote="kazenoyume"]
Quote:

I'm not sure what to think of the fact that outside the Miyazaki works (that includes Cagliostro) and Mushishi, I rather strongly dislike everything on the anime list. I will never understand the appeal of Eva. Ever.

I think another posting had it right-Eva keeps on getting reissued and therefore stays in the anime radar. I don't like Eva either, but there's no denying that it has influenced Anime for better or worse. To me it's a little shocking that Akira didn't make the top ten, but it might not have the same importance to Japanese fans that it does to Americans. If I remember correctly, a lot of Americans got interested in anime because of Akira.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:56 pm Reply with quote
MarthaC wrote:

I think another posting had it right-Eva keeps on getting reissued and therefore stays in the anime radar. I don't like Eva either, but there's no denying that it has influenced Anime for better or worse. To me it's a little shocking that Akira didn't make the top ten, but it might not have the same importance to Japanese fans that it does to Americans. If I remember correctly, a lot of Americans got interested in anime because of Akira.

You're probably right about EVA. If I had to pick better or worse, I'd say it changed anime for the worse. I partly blame the enormous amount of badly done supposedly 'deep' endings in recent years (Studio Bones I'm talking to you) on NGE.

I'm not sure about Akira's impact in Japan. It's entirely possible that it means more to the American community. I did find it kind of frustrating that the list included no titles released in the past ten years outside of the Ghost in the Shell extension and two very recent titles. There was a lot of amazing anime/manga during that time.

That classics like Cowboy Bebop, Rurouni Kenshin, and Maison Ikkoku were 'write-ins' instead of being one of the options in the first place, is mind-boggling.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quote
The list is definitely weird from what I would expect to see from America. Considering when it comes to "Greatest Ever," I guess you'd expect the shows that would have a lot of viewers (or readers in the case of manga), like NGE, to place high, but that said; where's Bleach and Naruto?

Glad to see Gundam SEED on the list though! Smile
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I'll start on the manga list, but there's quite a few on here I don't know, so any help would really be appreciated. There's just SOOOO much manga...

EDIT: Thanks Dormcat, for filling in the holes.

I wish they had posted these as text so I could look them up, but the whole list is two big GIFs. (grumble)

IMHO, I tend to agree with the manga list a little more than the anime list. Perhaps people responding to the anime poll were more of your stereotypical "otaku" and a little less objective?

11. One Piece
12. Parasyte (Kiseiju)
13. Yotsuba&!
14. Nodame Cantabile
15. Akira
16. Azumanga Daioh
17. Doubutsu no Oishasan
18. Yu Yu Hakusho
19. Monster
20. Ushio & Tora
21. Hunter x Hunter
22. Hellsing
23. Fist of the North Star
24. Ookiku Furikabutte
25. Berzerk
26. Banana Fish
27. Vagabond
28. Rose of Versailles
29. Master Keaton
30. Glass Mask
31. Urusei Yatsura
32. Asaki Yumemishi
33. Touch
34. Sazae-san
35. Tomorrow's Joe (Ashita no Joe)
36. 20th Century Boys
37. Fruits Basket
38. Lupin III
39. Warau Michael
40. Kochikame
41. Hi Izuru Tokoro no Tenshi
42. Pluto
43. Astroboy
44. Sangokushi (tie)
44. Emma (tie) (YESSS!!!!)
46. Detective Conan
47. Devilman
48. MS Gundam: The Origin
49. Dragon Quest: Dai's Adventure
50. Nana

Last edited by jsevakis on Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:31 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Just because something is long, doesn't mean it is more popular than other things, just popular enough to keep going. It doesn't mean people don't like other things more.

Good point. "From Eroika With Love" is still coming out, and that started in the 70's. Frankly, it's aged so badly I can't imagine anyone getting into it these days.

I am VERY VERY surprised that neither Macross nor Orguss made the anime list. And no Satoshi Kon. And no Please Save My Earth manga. And no Domu.

It seems both lists were very tinged with nostalgia. As non-Japanese, I guess we get the benefit of discovering many of these years after the fact. Just like in literature and movies, many so-called "classics" are just remembered fondly.
Curtis W.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
Not to surpising that Ghost in the shell movies and tv shows made into the list.Kinda surpising that Eva made it so high.

How is it suprising that Eva made Nurmoro uno?
hikura

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Curtis W. wrote:
hikura wrote:
Not to surpising that Ghost in the shell movies and tv shows made into the list.Kinda surpising that Eva made it so high.

How is it suprising that Eva made Nurmoro uno?

I personally found other shows(movies,ova's or tv shows) alot more involving then Eva.Take Ghost in the Shell movie.A perfect example of a great movie.Not only technology developing to a point of being sentient but also a perfect example of what defines humanity(aka a soul).This is a perfect example of how our lives are turning more and more towards into a high tech life style and where technology can lead us.An excellent story with real life repucassions.I could continue on and on about various titles but will not.Eva to me was a good show but not good enough(in my book and a few other posters in this thread) to be number one.I found alot more of Miyazaki's work as good if not better then eva.
Lilu Dallas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Well I love Evangelion it was my favorite for a long time but the anime isn't the greatest its probably number 2 or 3. But the Manga is Great I'm suprised it didn't make the list. Confused
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:55 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
I'll start on the manga list, but there's quite a few on here I don't know, so any help would really be appreciated.

12. Parasyte (Kiseiju)
17. Doubutsu no Oishasan
18. Yu Yu Hakusho (you didn't identify this one?!)
24. Ookiku Furikabutte
39. Warau Michael (just adapted to a live-action movie this summer)
41. Hi Izuru Tokoro no Tenshi
44. Sangokushi

jsevakis wrote:
44. Emma (YESSS!!!!)

Guess we've found a fellow here. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:14 pm Reply with quote
The top 3 mangas were all Shonen Jump titles Very Happy
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
IMHO, I tend to agree with the manga list a little more than the anime list. Perhaps people responding to the anime poll were more of your stereotypical "otaku" and a little less objective?
I definitely agree that the manga poll is better than the anime poll, especially considering how the write-in top 10 ranged from classics like Maison Ikkoku and Five Stories to more recent fare like Hikaru no Go and Negima.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5