• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Poll Ranks Most Over-Used Cliches in J-Pop Lyrics

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:31 am Reply with quote
Mainstream music is like Mc Donalds. It all tastes/sounds the same.
Hear one, heard them all.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:13 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

But still after reading this article the 2nd time, yeah I think J-pop lyric suffer from lack of creativity, I think Japanese songwriters should hire and collaborate with Scandanavian songwriters for future J-pop songs.

I disagree with this post completely. Mainstream pop lyrics suck, regardless of country and Scandinavians and I wouldn't trust non-Japanese speakers to write Japanese lyrics. Japanese artists already cover foreign pop songs every now and then, for example Nami Tamaki's debut album had a cover of A-teens' Perfect Match. I didn't think it was one of the better songs of that album.

Well I'm seeing other Asian artists using Scandinavians songwriters for their songwriting, but that's another story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote
It's the one reason why I only listen to the Japanese and the music. Since I can't understand it to some degree I don't have to feel like I've heard those words either. But hell, we got some "sh*tty" lyrics in our music to. And hell, maybe you don't want to be alone. Unless you want to be on some uncharted island "naked" with nothing but a damn rock.

I guess when I hit mom's this week and be bombarded with Morning Musume all damn weekend I'll find out if there is enough cliched lyrics. Now let's get some lyrics about people getting kicked in the a$$ enough times. Smile
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:19 am Reply with quote
If these lyrics are so cliche and cheesy, why do I still cry whenever Homura or Madoka say them? D:
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
Because pop music's empty and PMMM's not.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
If these lyrics are so cliche and cheesy, why do I still cry whenever Homura or Madoka say them? D:

Because we learned that when you combine a good show with good music no matter how cheesy the lyrics are we don't care because all that matters is that you love this sh*t man!!!

Of course you can say the magic words and you will have a drink. - Pretty Sammy (English version uhhhh)
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Nowadays, we don't even have lyrics, just screeching and techno in the background. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2